chasfh

What Will Become of Nicholas Castellanos?

How will the Tigers deal with Nicholas Castellanos?  

37 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. How will the Tigers deal with Nicholas Castellanos?

• Trade him.
    • Tender him a Qualifying Offer after the season, which he will accept.
    • Tender him a Qualifying Offer after the season, which he will decline.
    • Extend him for multiple seasons.
    • Non-tender him after the season (aka let him walk).
    • Other. (Explain in comments.)
  2. 2. Suppose Castellanos is tendered a qualifying offer after the season and he declines it? Then what?

• Will be re-signed afterward by the Tigers.
    • Will be signed by another team before the 2020 draft.
    • Will be signed by another team after the 2020 draft.
  3. 3. If the Tigers do trade Castellanos, what kind of return will they get, based on what you think a player of his level should get?

• Return equal to expectations.
    • Higher return than expected.
    • Lower return than expected.

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/12/2019 at 04:59 AM

1 minute ago, RatkoVarda said:

I see you just tolling as usual...

Why did AA sign Fiers, Martin and Liriano last year? To plug a hole and hopefully flip them. He flipped 2 of 3 and got not much (Blackwood), not much (Shore), and a possible starting SS (Castro).

If Moore and Ross had stayed healthy, AA probably would have been able to flip them for some wild card relief pitcher.

Mercer and Harrison filled holes.

Why will AA sign some more vets this winter? Same reason.

Good to know it will give you something to whine about when he does that.

Tigers have a hole at 1B.  Avila asks Castellanos to play there.  He says no.  Then he ignores the hole and signs other players.  

"Why didn't he sign a 1B?"

"Because the team is going to suck anyway."

"But why did he sign all these other guys?"

"Because they had holes."

"So? This team is going to suck anyway."

You don't see the hypocrisy here?  

I wasn't real impressed with the choice of Mercer, but once he was signed, the extra 2 million (or whatever) for Harrison was actually not a bad investment in trying to make sure Mercer paid off as a flip candidate. Having him play next to Harrison might have enhanced his value substantially as compared to breaking in a rookie AAAA player at 2nd - had they both stayed on the field and assuming Harrison's bat still had enough left that they could reasonably play him.

13 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Tigers have a hole at 1B.  Avila asks Castellanos to play there.  He says no.  Then he ignores the hole and signs other players.  

Except that they didn't really have a hole at 1st, What they had was some candidates they might have wanted to look at in the OF. With Mahtook having cratered, Reyes, Cameron, and even Robson having started out the season slowly at Toledo that anticipated interest dissolved. The org had not lacked for candidates to play 1st  coming into this season- Hicks, Dixon, Peterson, Cabrera, R.Rodriquez, Niko etc.

16 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Damn, guys. He’s got us here. 

20 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Pretty sure Cabrera was the 1B going into the season.

But by all means, signing a 1B should have been a priority to cover the possibility of Cabrera moving to DH, Nick won't move to 1B and Niko is needed somewhere else because of 3 other injuries.

Stupid Avila.

6 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Why even play the season?

They should suspend play until the inherent hypocrisy in playing is properly acknowledged by all responsible. Think of the kids.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Pretty sure Cabrera was the 1B going into the season.

yes - at least a good chunk of the time - and he may still play a bit more there anytime he feels up to it.

In any case, you don't move an 850 OPS tops guy to 1B because you are in a hurry to have him help you there, you do it so that he can stop hurting you in the OF. Moving Nick is not about 1b, it's about RF.

Should'of kept Deuce.  Really, that's where Avila lost this season.

• Like 2

I get the season is frustrating, and there are any number of moves that can we collectively whine about, in terms of long term strategy, front office concerns, roster construction and in-game strategic decisions, to say nothing of the abomination that is Lloyd McClendon.

But even with all of that, not signing a 1B/DH in the off-season is a critique worth stressing because Nick said he didn't want to play 1B last season.

3 minutes ago, Casimir said:

There are certain people you just don't cross.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

and of course, Nick should have jumped at the chance to go to first. He was apparently self-deluded enough about his own talent to think he was going to transform himself into a good OF at his late age - it was never likely. If he had gone to 1st, put every ounce of his concentration into becoming a 900 OPS bat, he would have made the rest of his career. As it is he is now just another guy without a position in the age of OF analytics.

26 minutes ago, Casimir said:

They asked him to stay on first base and he refused.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Casimir said:

Why even play the season?

As this season progresses, this question deserves serious consideration.

On 6/20/2019 at 7:58 PM, Gehringer_2 said:

TBF,  he looked promising enough for a while, good power the opposite way, which is rare. The one caution was maybe that he was never exactly all that young for his performance level.

I took a road trip that included a stop in Toledo for a Mud Hens game and Nick hit an opposite field home run, and I thought, now that’s something to dream on.

20 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

and of course, Nick should have jumped at the chance to go to first. He was apparently self-deluded enough about his own talent to think he was going to transform himself into a good OF at his late age - it was never likely. If he had gone to 1st, put every ounce of his concentration into becoming a 900 OPS bat, he would have made the rest of his career. As it is he is now just another guy without a position in the age of OF analytics.

I wonder whether Nick’s thinking might have been, first base is the position old players go to die, I’m still young and athletic, surely I can do better than playing first, I’ll go to first when I’m 35. I don’t know if that was his thinking, but if it was, I get it.

36 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I wonder whether Nick’s thinking might have been, first base is the position old players go to die, I’m still young and athletic, surely I can do better than playing first, I’ll go to first when I’m 35. I don’t know if that was his thinking, but if it was, I get it.

I agree that he may be thinking that.  But as you know and he should it ignores the many, many young athletes that have played 1st base.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

He was thinking, "you make me move positions every three years.  Just leave me alone." 

It would have been nice if he had been thinking - "I need a landing place where I can get paid for my bat where I'm not constantly subtracting from it's value" 

43 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

1B who hit 20 HR’s are a dime a dozen.

(edit: except for the Tigers)

Brandon Dixon has 9 home runs and we're not at the halfway point yet. If he keeps his current pace, he could reach 20 home runs. 

to me maybe the most ironic thing as this season is shaping up and next season projects, is that 1B is probably the least clearly filled position on next year's team. Just looking over the players in the system from AA, the only hitter at Erie that looks likely to knock on the door to Det is Paredes. To that add from AAA maybe: Candelario, Rogers, Reyes, W. Castro. So what does that line-up look like? Jeimer at 3b, Castro at SS, for the sake of arg put Paredes at 2B, Rogers at C, the OF is Stewart, Jones, Reyes and Cameron maybe not far behind. Niko is the swing man. Guess what is left? 1b, and who is missing?  - Nick.