chasfh

What Will Become of Nicholas Castellanos?

How will the Tigers deal with Nicholas Castellanos?  

37 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. How will the Tigers deal with Nicholas Castellanos?

• Trade him.
    • Tender him a Qualifying Offer after the season, which he will accept.
    • Tender him a Qualifying Offer after the season, which he will decline.
    • Extend him for multiple seasons.
    • Non-tender him after the season (aka let him walk).
    • Other. (Explain in comments.)
  2. 2. Suppose Castellanos is tendered a qualifying offer after the season and he declines it? Then what?

• Will be re-signed afterward by the Tigers.
    • Will be signed by another team before the 2020 draft.
    • Will be signed by another team after the 2020 draft.
  3. 3. If the Tigers do trade Castellanos, what kind of return will they get, based on what you think a player of his level should get?

• Return equal to expectations.
    • Higher return than expected.
    • Lower return than expected.

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/12/2019 at 04:59 AM

The reason that Nick was not in demand at the trade deadline is the same that he won't likely have multiple suitors in free agency.  He's a bit limited to the AL, and teams might not want to commit a lot of $$/years to a 27 year old DH.

If the guy had played 1B this season, he'd likely have more interest.  Ironically, the Tigers might be one of them.

for context, this player received a one-year, $4 million contact after putting up this season:

image.thumb.png.01ccd3ea1952484e39f1b0c2109f8847.png

in fairness, he was 33 at the time.  Notice that this player also won both a Silver Slugger and Gold Glove.

Was Castellanos' season any better?

1 hour ago, Tigrrfan said:

Nick is not a Right Fielder. Wait, ... CORRECTION!  ... Nick is not a ''fielder''.  His sub-par defense is not what a rebuilding team needs just when their rebuild is about to make them serious playoff contenders.  

Moreover, the White Sox already have MLB current #3 overall prospect Luis Robert, who might be advanced enough now to assume a Right Field position as early as early next year ..or start of 2021 at the latest.  So why in the world would the White Sox want to sign Nick C for 3 to 5 years?

For those who may not have noticed their rebuild progress .. the White Sox could be as good by 2021 as the Twins were this year!

Because Luis Robert is a center fielder, and the White Sox need a right fielder who is better than Leury Garcia.

Regardless of what you or I feel or know about Nick's defense prowess, teams will be looking to sign him with an eye toward putting him in right, at least for a substantial part of the time.

38 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

for context, this player received a one-year, $4 million contact after putting up this season:

in fairness, he was 33 at the time.  Notice that this player also won both a Silver Slugger and Gold Glove.

I'm guessing Nick Markakis

40 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

In fairness, Nick is six years younger than your mystery player, so he probably will not be viewed in the exact same context as this 33 year-old.

6 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Regardless of what you or I feel or know about Nick's defense prowess, teams will be looking to sign him with an eye toward putting him in right, at least for a substantial part of the time.

Which substantially lowers his worth or value to a team.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Which substantially lowers his worth or value to a team.

You'd think that, wouldn't you? Nevertheless, I do think that on the strength of his Cubs performance, Nick will have multiple suitors in a way he wouldn't have had he'd stayed with the Tigers and flat-lined his performance for the rest of the season.

I think he won't get more than a two year deal offer, capped out at $20 M, possibly $24 M.

I don't have an opinion of how many teams will value him at that.

Time will tell.

8 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Why would a team need to give few additional option years?  That is even worse than giving him a 5-year deal.

because there may be competition to sign him and a team may have to beat a better deal to get him.

5 years for him would mark a significant shift in how the market values him.

Not saying it isn't possible, but I don't see it.  I certainly could be wrong.

7 hours ago, chasfh said:

In fairness, Nick is six years younger than your mystery player, so he probably will not be viewed in the exact same context as this 33 year-old.

Maybe. Markakis was a GG outfielder, though, which has to help close the gap on any perceived offensive advantage that Nick might hold.  My point was that he had to settle for a $4 million deal—which was actually a $7 million salary cut.

if castellanos goes for $10 million or less per year then the tigers should re-sign him.

21 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I don't disagree with that.  It seems to me like the market undervalues, or has recently undervalued, bat only players,

I agree with this.  I first noticed it with Jermaine Dye. He hit 27 home runs with an OPS just under .800 his last year and no one would sign him. At age 35 he wasn't ready to retire, but was forced to. If he wasn't such a terrible fielder, he might have played a few more years. 

While I agree that bat-first players have had a tough go in the marketplace the past year or two, I also don't think it's particularly useful to compare a 27-year old's record with the records of players in their mid-30's when assessing Nick's chance at a long term deal.

I also think the chances Nick comes back to the Tigers, even for a year, is zero, ±0.

5 hours ago, chasfh said:

I also don't think it's particularly useful to compare a 27-year old's record with the records of players in their mid-30's when assessing Nick's chance at a long term deal.

If you're referring to Markakis, he was only 33.  Also, the issue is not that he didn't get a longterm contract--Nick isn't getting one, either.  It's that his performance only generated $4 million for one year--teams are usually willing to pay a premium to avoid any multi-year deals, and this was still the best he got.  Unless he gave a discount to ATL because he wanted to stay.

The other interesting factor in this, is that there will also be better players available via trade.  The Red Sox and Cubs have both suggested that they will be shedding salaries/players to get their payrolls more in line.