Jump to content

chasfh

What Will Become of Nicholas Castellanos?

How will the Tigers deal with Nicholas Castellanos?  

37 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. How will the Tigers deal with Nicholas Castellanos?

    • Trade him.
      21
    • Tender him a Qualifying Offer after the season, which he will accept.
      2
    • Tender him a Qualifying Offer after the season, which he will decline.
      3
    • Extend him for multiple seasons.
      0
    • Non-tender him after the season (aka let him walk).
      11
    • Other. (Explain in comments.)
      0
  2. 2. Suppose Castellanos is tendered a qualifying offer after the season and he declines it? Then what?

    • Will be re-signed afterward by the Tigers.
      3
    • Will be signed by another team before the 2020 draft.
      10
    • Will be signed by another team after the 2020 draft.
      24
  3. 3. If the Tigers do trade Castellanos, what kind of return will they get, based on what you think a player of his level should get?

    • Return equal to expectations.
      8
    • Higher return than expected.
      0
    • Lower return than expected.
      29

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/12/2019 at 04:59 AM

Recommended Posts


These homers are really cutting into his chances for 60 doubles, eh?

Nick was probably my favorite player on the team outside of Cabrera, mainly because he was homegrown and we'd seen him develop. 

He seems like the only type of jock that I ever got along with - quiet, thoughful, but still kinda douchey. I get his attitude this year. Not saying I would have done it that way, but I get it. The team was moving on and he was a bit hurt, so he got some parting shots in and didn't say anything that wasn't true or at least understandable.

The park eats homers for guys like him and it wasn't really fair of the team to jerk him around from position to position with some sort of commitment, given how hard he worked at both 3B and RF to that point.

He can't play defense, but in the right ball park, he's a REALLY good hitter. He's going to strike out, he's not going to walk a lot, but he will drive the ball hard into the gaps.

Anyway, I'm happy for him. I hope he gets a multiyear deal at $10 million a year for a few years and he gets to take care of his family for the next couple of generations. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nick is starting to revert back to form, for September he has a .285 OBP with an OPS under .850.  Also has a 15 to 0 K:BB ratio.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was about the turn on tonight's game and I checked MLB.COM.

I saw that the Bears were up by 10, 17-7. Still a two possession game.

I thought I'd see if Castellanos was still slumping. First thing I see, 50th double, runs batted in.

That's fine, just a double. Certainly not going to get sixty in that park!

Scan to the right, look at the box score... See, there's one of those missing doubles... Under HRs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's up to 26 HR and likely will get to 30. I sure didn't see that as a possibility 6 weeks ago

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tanking is tanking, I don't care how you color it. Sure there are different circumstances, and obviously different players, GM's and Owners involved. That is a given, but when you lose for the sake of losing and assuring a high pick for this year and probably a few years to come, that is tanking. Astros did it, granted after being so bad they had to sell off...but they tanked.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To me this is kind of an indictment of the Tigers developmental system  What didn't they see in some of their players that has them just elevating elsewhere.   This organization hasn't been able to develop players consistently for 30 years now.   What is going on? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

To me this is kind of an indictment of the Tigers developmental system  What didn't they see in some of their players that has them just elevating elsewhere.   This organization hasn't been able to develop players consistently for 30 years now.   What is going on? 

Flouride in the water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

To me this is kind of an indictment of the Tigers developmental system  What didn't they see in some of their players that has them just elevating elsewhere.   This organization hasn't been able to develop players consistently for 30 years now.   What is going on? 

it sounds like for many years pretty much all they did was draft guys and then toss them into some minor league team and watch them play games. That is probably going to work OK for guys who are strongly self directed and study and research their own games, or are just naturally lucky enough to have already stumbled on the best approaches for their skillsets, but probably everyone else fell through the large cracks that kind of hands off approach leaves. They hadn't put any resources into measuring that guys were doing other than watching games, which is a pretty inexact art. Under Chris Ilitch and Avila those resources started to be applied, but there is still a question in my mind about whether the people in the old system are good choices to operate under the new. Maybe some are, you'd have to think many would not be, so is the organization committed to finding the people that can best utilize the resources and technology they are putting in place? If that isn't happening, they won't catch LA/Houston et al.

And then again, you still have counter examples like Turnbull. There is nothing more anyone can do for him in terms of his skill throwing the ball. It's there, the stuff is fine, but he still seems to need support learning how to keep his head straight as a pitcher. That isn't going to come from tech or analytics. If it comes at all it's going to come from coaches that can help him with the mental part of the game.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

it sounds like for many years pretty much all they did was draft guys and then toss them into some minor league team and watch them play games. That is probably going to work OK for guys who are strongly self directed and study and research their own games, or are just naturally lucky enough to have already stumbled on the best approaches for their skillsets, but probably everyone else fell through the large cracks that kind of hands off approach leaves. They hadn't put any resources into measuring that guys were doing other than watching games, which is a pretty inexact art. Under Chris Ilitch and Avila those resources started to be applied, but there is still a question in my mind about whether the people in the old system are good choices to operate under the new. Maybe some are, you'd have to think many would not be, so is the organization committed to finding the people that can best utilize the resources and technology they are putting in place? If that isn't happening, they won't catch LA/Houston et al.

And then again, you still have counter examples like Turnbull. There is nothing more anyone can do for him in terms of his skill throwing the ball. It's there, the stuff is fine, but he still seems to need support learning how to keep his head straight as a pitcher. That isn't going to come tech or analytics. If it come at all it's going to come from coaches that can help him with the mental part of the game.

Well said.

I do think AA will eventually make changes in farm leadership if it's necessary. Gardy saw the lack of development right away. Not sure who gets the bulk of the blame. Probably DD and Mike I

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, leflore said:

He's up to 26 HR and likely will get to 30. I sure didn't see that as a possibility 6 weeks ago

15 in 40 games with the Cubs. Insane. Most total bases in MLB since August 1, .329/.358/.677

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard a rumor that Lloyd has been skyping with Nick on a nightly basis, dissecting and correcting any issues with Nick's swing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someday the tides will turn .. and it will be the Tigers on the receiving end of extraordinary performances by a few players immediately upon being traded to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2019 at 8:38 AM, Motor City Sonics said:

To me this is kind of an indictment of the Tigers developmental system  What didn't they see in some of their players that has them just elevating elsewhere.   This organization hasn't been able to develop players consistently for 30 years now.   What is going on? 

When you have the money, you don't have to develop players.........you just buy the talent.  And.......when the money runs out, you get what we've got.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will always maintain that the Tigers blew it with Nick. The only rational explanation I can come up with regarding his status with the team is that they just weren’t interested in competing. I hated to see a homegrown kid treated the way he was. His response to learning the team wasn’t interested in keeping him was regrettable but I don’t blame him. I enjoy seeing him do well now. That’s tough to do when I am NOT a Cubs fan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, roarintiger1 said:

When you have the money, you don't have to develop players.........you just buy the talent.  And.......when the money runs out, you get what we've got.  

Wrong.  You still have a minor league system.    The Yankees spend but still manage to have a good system.   They are not mutually exclusive and there's no excuse for it and that's why everyone in the front office should be fired.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nick is 7 for his last 12, bringing his September stats to .333/.349/.667 with an OPS of over 1.000.  Only 1 walk though.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, roarintiger1 said:

When you have the money, you don't have to develop players.........you just buy the talent.  And.......when the money runs out, you get what we've got.  

Look at all the top teams - Houston, NYY, LAD, St Louis, Cubs, Oakland, Boston, Tampa, Cleveland, Milwaukee -- they all have several home grown players who are major contributors. Building solely via free agency no longer happens. Build from the farm and supplement areas of need via trade and FA - that's how you give yourself the best chance at sustaining excellence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, leflore said:

Building solely via free agency no longer happens.

When did it ever?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 1776 said:

I will always maintain that the Tigers blew it with Nick.

Nick was probably not going to sign with the Tigers for less than $18m per year.

The Tiger's executive offices know more about Nick than anybody here.  They surely had a strong reason to trade him for 'whatever' they could get rather than just letting him walk via FA.

How was he treated unfairly?  Baseball is a business!  Nick had a right to know he was on the trading block.  For him to use that as an excuse for a less-than-ideal attitude about the team that drafted him and helped him become the player he is ..then I suggest Nick is nothing more than a pampered ungrateful individual.

He did not immediately become a superstar hitter with the Cubs solely because the Cubs might have better analytics and/or corporate atmosphere.  It would have taken Nick some time to acclimate towards those types of culture changes.  More like ..Nick gave less effort with the Tigers this year than he has given to the Cubs since being traded.

In other words ..NickThePrick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 1776 said:

I will always maintain that the Tigers blew it with Nick. The only rational explanation I can come up with regarding his status with the team is that they just weren’t interested in competing. I hated to see a homegrown kid treated the way he was. His response to learning the team wasn’t interested in keeping him was regrettable but I don’t blame him. I enjoy seeing him do well now. That’s tough to do when I am NOT a Cubs fan.

I will always maintain the Tigers committed to Castellanos for 5 years and once it was clear he was a good but not elite hitter with little to no defensive value paired with the team going through a rebuild, they decided he wasn't part of their long term plans

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I will always maintain the Tigers committed to Castellanos for 5 years and once it was clear he was a good but not elite hitter with little to no defensive value paired with the team going through a rebuild, they decided he wasn't part of their long term plans

I think this is pretty much spot on - with the addition that Nick was a bit hurt by that evaluation (as we all might be) and that led to some resentment and attitude issues.   While I wish that hadn't happened it's easy to understand given human nature why it did.   I don't especially like or dislike him more over how it played out and hope he does well going forward unless he's competing against the Tigers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...