chasfh

What Will Become of Nicholas Castellanos?

How will the Tigers deal with Nicholas Castellanos?  

37 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. How will the Tigers deal with Nicholas Castellanos?

• Trade him.
    • Tender him a Qualifying Offer after the season, which he will accept.
    • Tender him a Qualifying Offer after the season, which he will decline.
    • Extend him for multiple seasons.
    • Non-tender him after the season (aka let him walk).
    • Other. (Explain in comments.)
  2. 2. Suppose Castellanos is tendered a qualifying offer after the season and he declines it? Then what?

• Will be re-signed afterward by the Tigers.
    • Will be signed by another team before the 2020 draft.
    • Will be signed by another team after the 2020 draft.
  3. 3. If the Tigers do trade Castellanos, what kind of return will they get, based on what you think a player of his level should get?

• Return equal to expectations.
    • Higher return than expected.
    • Lower return than expected.

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/12/2019 at 04:59 AM

34 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

While hitting against those danm steroid-fueled pitchers.

Yep

New Moneyball market inefficiency should be getting any player who’s even slightly above average from the Tigers.

30 minutes ago, ben9753 said:

New Moneyball market inefficiency should be getting any player who’s even slightly above average from the Tigers.

Especially corner outfielders with a little pop

On 8/31/2019 at 1:18 PM, bobrob2004 said:

The Dodgers currently rank 7th in minor league systems and the last time they had a top 5 pick was in 1993.  You can develop a good minor league system without purposefully tanking.  If tanking is your strategy, then you do not have a very competent general manager.  

That guy who runs the Astros disagrees. They tanked a few years and of course built a team in the meanwhile. But they tanked.

2 hours ago, Warning Track Power said:

That guy who runs the Astros disagrees. They tanked a few years and of course built a team in the meanwhile. But they tanked.

the Dodgers are a tough comp because they are probably even richer than the Yankees. They have drawn 3 million plus 19 out of the last 20 yrs. Interesting thing looking at their team digest page on BR is that the average age of the Dodger team seems to vary less than some other teams I looked at. I wonder if being willing to move guys before they become liabilities or are hurt all the time isn't a strategy that helps you leverage into picking up prospects without top picks. 

2 hours ago, Warning Track Power said:

I would argue the Astros were able to pull it off because of the systems and people they have. Tanking made it easier, but you can’tjust tank and point to the Astros and say “see all you have to do is lose 100 games for a few years and then we’ll win a WS!”  
That would be like seeing a guy sign up for a gym membership and loosing 100 lbs so you also sign up and expect too the weight. You have actually put in the work also. 

nick with a 3 run homer tonight.

in 403 at bats with detroit he hit 11 home runs.

in 127 at bats with the cubs he has hit 12.

16 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Does anyone believe he has improved his free agent stock that much?  Me neither.

what kind of contract do you think he'll get?

3 hours ago, Buddha said:

nick with a 3 run homer tonight.

in 403 at bats with detroit he hit 11 home runs.

in 127 at bats with the cubs he has hit 12.

Must be the ballpark..

On 9/2/2019 at 6:58 AM, Warning Track Power said:

The Indians didn't tank.  The Cardinals didn't tank. The Braves went through a rough stretch, but they didn't embarrass themselves like the Tigers re doing.  Tampa Bay and Oakland are two low budget teams that are competitive without tanking for a long time.  The Rays were really bad for a long stretch but that was 13 years ago.  All teams have their ups and downs and the draft system helps those that hit a rough spot, but you don't need to completely embarrass yourself to become competitive again.  You need a good owner and GM and supporting cast.  

• Like 2

This performance alone is going to earn Nick multiple years, if from no one else other than the Cubs. He might get as much as 4/80 from some dizzy organization, although 3/45 seems more achievable.

All of those teams mentioned continually bring up contributing players from their farm. Detroit's system was barren. That seems to be the biggest problem imho. Perhaps they need to drain the farm swamp. And hopefully AA brings in more competetive FAs. I too hate the tanking. If nothing changes I doubt I will get mlb.tv next season

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

The Indians didn't tank.  The Cardinals didn't tank. The Braves went through a rough stretch, but they didn't embarrass themselves like the Tigers re doing.  Tampa Bay and Oakland are two low budget teams that are competitive without tanking for a long time.  The Rays were really bad for a long stretch but that was 13 years ago.  All teams have their ups and downs and the draft system helps those that hit a rough spot, but you don't need to completely embarrass yourself to become competitive again.  You need a good owner and GM and supporting cast.  

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

On 9/2/2019 at 5:58 AM, Warning Track Power said:

The Astros was a completely different situation. Their prior incompetent owner who'd hired the incompetent front office sold off in 2011 to Jim Crane, who hired Jeff Luhnow to turn the franchise around. The situation they inherited was so dire that the only thing they could do was sell off the useful parts for scrap, hire young turks to remake the front office as an innovative analytics-based organization, start all over from scratch, and take their lumps at the big league level for a few years. They also did all this at a time when basically only one other team was doing it.

By contrast, the Tigers farm system was decimated by mainly the same brain trust that has also been left intact to try to fix it—the same group that drafted so poorly, developed so badly, and completely ignored the international market. Despite being late to the tanking party, along with maybe half a dozen other organizations, the Tigers front office has been downright cheerful and even looking forward to the losing because they apparently believe that's basically all it takes to secure the high draft picks needed to come out a champion on the other side. But this kind of losing is not a one-off deal for this ownership, either. This is the same ownership that ran the big club into the ground in 1996 and in 2002-3 as well, and by the time this season is over, the Ilitches will have presided over three of the fifty worst winning percentages, out of over 2,500 seasons, in modern baseball history. No other team in the draft era has come even close to matching that.

I don't believe we are the same as the tanking Astros.

• Like 3

This entire tanking fiasco by the Tigers reminds me of the time Sparky refused to manage “replacement” players. I don’t have to wonder long to know what Sparky would say about this mess.

I want to know what the fan base is saying in 2022 when this team is still not a .500 team. For those that can forgive this org for tanking, which I never will, it is probably with the confidence and hope the team will be consistently competitive again after 2021. I have no reason to believe it will. To make this rebuild work Avila is going to have to deal. So far he’s just riding top draft picks due to having the worst team in baseball. At some point he’s going to have to be a real GM and start making trades and identifying quality FA’s. This is where I believe the rebuild will stall, if not fail altogether. This is where I have absolutely no confidence whatsoever in this guy. He would be my primary example of the term, “empty suit.” I’m not talking about spending a lot of money, I’m talking about being a smart and savvy baseball man. Think Oakland/Tampa Bay. Avila does not impress me one bit in being ‘that guy.’

51 minutes ago, chasfh said:

This performance alone is going to earn Nick multiple years, if from no one else other than the Cubs. He might get as much as 4/80 from some dizzy organization, although 3/45 seems more achievable.

not a chance.  Let me know if you'd like to wager, and what the stakes are.  

2 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Tanking is just code for 'We're going to spend as little as possible and make $$ and sell it to the fans that this is the only way to rebuild and when it fails in a few years we'll fire the people and start the process again'.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I often feel that the reason Chris Ilitch, Al Avila, and the other executive cronies all toot their own horns .. is because nobody else in baseball will.  

2 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

not a chance.  Let me know if you'd like to wager, and what the stakes are.  

Well, of course, if I lay an actual bet on it, I'll lose, because I'm cursed when it comes to gambling. I always lose. Which is a good thing. But if Nick can come close to maintaining his current level of production for another month, he'll get years.

Just now, chasfh said:

..if Nick can come close to maintaining his current level of production for another month, he'll get years.

Nick will cool off.  But the production he has already posted with the Cubs will carry him when he does.

My guess is the best he may be offered at Free Agency is in the neighborhood of 3yr/$39m.

6 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Tanking is just code for 'We're going to spend as little as possible and make $$ and sell it to the fans that this is the only way to rebuild and when it fails in a few years we'll fire the people and start the process again'.

Pretty much this.