chasfh

What Will Become of Nicholas Castellanos?

How will the Tigers deal with Nicholas Castellanos?  

37 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. How will the Tigers deal with Nicholas Castellanos?

• Trade him.
    • Tender him a Qualifying Offer after the season, which he will accept.
    • Tender him a Qualifying Offer after the season, which he will decline.
    • Extend him for multiple seasons.
    • Non-tender him after the season (aka let him walk).
    • Other. (Explain in comments.)
  2. 2. Suppose Castellanos is tendered a qualifying offer after the season and he declines it? Then what?

• Will be re-signed afterward by the Tigers.
    • Will be signed by another team before the 2020 draft.
    • Will be signed by another team after the 2020 draft.
  3. 3. If the Tigers do trade Castellanos, what kind of return will they get, based on what you think a player of his level should get?

• Return equal to expectations.
    • Higher return than expected.
    • Lower return than expected.

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/12/2019 at 04:59 AM

He's a fuss pot...nobody likes a fuss pot.  He'll get nothing...and like it

59 minutes ago, chasfh said:

How many years, do you think?

I see 2-3 years, maybe with an option.  

What's with all of these mandatory lazy multiple guess questions?  Are we trying to push scantron stock here or something?

Assuming he continues to perform as is, I think he'll get only one year. I'm not sure anyone (except possibly the Tigers) would want to risk multiple years on a gloveless mouthy head case having performance issues. The Tigers are most likely to do so since Nick is the devil they know, but I don't think even they do it unless they can sign him ridiculously cheap, like 2/15 or something.

3 hours ago, Shelton said:

To piggyback on this, in the event that you are wrong and tigers somehow offer it, there is zero chance nick declines it. 

Yes, even Boras would probably advise him to accept it, which I think would make him the first Boras client ever to do so.  (Of course, hardly anyone period has ever accepted a QO., but with the difficulties free agents have had finding homes in recent years, and with some of them, like Mike Moustakas,  having to settle for much less than the QO that was declined,  things have changed.)

The current market rate for a 97 OPS+ corner outfielder who plays terrible defense is a whole lot less than 18 million dollars a year.  So if the Tigers are stupid enough to offer that to Castellanos, I doubt that he'll be stupid enough to turn it down.

5 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

Yes, even Boras would probably advise him to accept it, which I think would make him the first Boras client ever to do so.  (Of course, hardly anyone period has ever accepted a QO., but with the difficulties free agents have had finding homes in recent years, and with some of them, like Mike Moustakas,  having to settle for much less than the QO that was declined,  things have changed.)

The current market rate for a 100 OPS+ corner outfielder who plays terrible defense is a whole lot less than 18 million dollars a year.  So if the Tigers are stupid enough to offer that to Castellanos, I doubt that he'll be stupid enough to turn it down.

It would be reminiscent of the old real estate saying "It was the days 2 fools met" - one that offered too much and the other turning it down.

43 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Assuming he continues to perform as is, I think he'll get only one year. I'm not sure anyone (except possibly the Tigers) would want to risk multiple years on a gloveless mouthy head case having performance issues. The Tigers are most likely to do so since Nick is the devil they know, but I don't think even they do it unless they can sign him ridiculously cheap, like 2/15 or something.

If the NL adopts the DH rule, suddenly there will be a whole lot of suitors for Castellanos.

10 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

If the NL adopts the DH rule, suddenly there will be a whole lot of suitors for Castellanos.

Maybe not, if his OPS+ stays below sea level.  It's hard to see a guy who can't outhit Jacoby Jones as a desirable DH.

In all fairness, Jacoby Jones has been killing it since mid-May.

27 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

I agree it opens up his market by a lot, although I don't think NL DH is going to happen in time for his next deal.

10 minutes ago, chasfh said:

In all fairness, Jacoby Jones has been killing it since mid-May.

Jacoby has a .433 BABIP since May 12th, so the sustainability of it isn't there.  

11 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Jacoby has a .433 BABIP since May 12th, so the sustainability of it isn't there.  

You're right, and I get that. Not projecting the future, only reflecting the past.

16 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Jacoby has a .433 BABIP 

Lloyd teaches that - McCann finally applied the lessons and look what it's done for him.

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

You're right, and I get that. Not projecting the future, only reflecting the past.

But when comparing Jones with Castellanos, it's probably more fair to wait until the end of the season with a bigger sample size.  We know Castellanos can have a near all-star level stat line, but Jones has yet to do so over a big enough sample.  

I think Nick will get hot and soon. Det will land a 25 yo prospect in hi A for whom Chadd has retained a hard on much like he did Pelfry.

1 hour ago, bobrob2004 said:

But when comparing Jones with Castellanos, it's probably more fair to wait until the end of the season with a bigger sample size.  We know Castellanos can have a near all-star level stat line, but Jones has yet to do so over a big enough sample.  

Jacoby Jones's recent surge, which among otner things has him leading the team in home runs, has "luck" and "fluke" written all over it.  And that insane BABIP is Exhibit A.  It is possible that JJ is really a genuinely much better hitter than he has been, but not that he is actually the stud that he has been in the recent small sample.

Going forward,  Castellanos is almost certain to be a much better offensive player than Jones.  But I wouldn't bet on his being good enough to be the first baseman or DH on anything other than a sad sack team with very little talent.  Although even our team that fits that description doesn't particularly want him.

2 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

All I said was that Jacoby Jones has been killing it lately. 

27 minutes ago, chasfh said:

All I said was that Jacoby Jones has been killing it lately. 

And all I did was add to the conversation. 

1 hour ago, bobrob2004 said:

And all I did was add to the conversation. 

Fight!  Fight!

23 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Get rid of him.  Trade him for a bag of clean socks.   

Trade him for a maid, then everyone's socks will always be clean. 

21 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

Fight!  Fight!

Troll! Troll!

:cheeky:

Eaten by wolves should be one of the choices.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

Eaten by wolves should be one of the choices.

I don't think he would accept a demotion to Erie.

Yeah, it sucks that the Tigers keep moving him around.   But if he could catch anything other than a cold, they wouldn't have to.