chasfh

What Will Become of Nicholas Castellanos?

How will the Tigers deal with Nicholas Castellanos?  

37 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. How will the Tigers deal with Nicholas Castellanos?

• Trade him.
    • Tender him a Qualifying Offer after the season, which he will accept.
    • Tender him a Qualifying Offer after the season, which he will decline.
    • Extend him for multiple seasons.
    • Non-tender him after the season (aka let him walk).
    • Other. (Explain in comments.)
  2. 2. Suppose Castellanos is tendered a qualifying offer after the season and he declines it? Then what?

• Will be re-signed afterward by the Tigers.
    • Will be signed by another team before the 2020 draft.
    • Will be signed by another team after the 2020 draft.
  3. 3. If the Tigers do trade Castellanos, what kind of return will they get, based on what you think a player of his level should get?

• Return equal to expectations.
    • Higher return than expected.
    • Lower return than expected.

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/12/2019 at 04:59 AM

6 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

He won't set, or be listed on, any doubles record because it is split between the leagues, correct?

I believe that is correct.  

2 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

No, he'll be on the Major League list for doubles.  Babe Ruth hit some of his 714 home runs in the National League.  

I was speaking to single season records as opposed to career totals.

5 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

That's it. It's McGee I'm thinking of. So he dId have enough to qualify in the NL. 

He won the NL title because he had enough PA to qualify even though his overall BA dropped when he went to the AL.  

21 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I was speaking to single season records as opposed to career totals.

He can still be high, or even first, on the Major League single-season list.  Stats compiled in both leagues in a season  count for a Major League record.  60 doubles would put Castellanos in a tie for sixth-most doubles in a season.

He can't set an AL or NL record this year, but he can still set an MLB one.

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

He won the NL title because he had enough PA to qualify even though his overall BA dropped when he went to the AL.  

I had misremembered what the pivot of the story was. When it first came to mind I was thinking that McGee didn't get a title he should have because of the trade, but as Biggs pointed out, the injustice was more that Murray was denied one despite McGee not having equaled his BA across all his AB.

That is a problem with the 'qualifying' system in general. Statistics tell us that it is always easier to sustain an outlier the smaller the sample size, but batters get no credit for maintaining an above average average for more AB than the other guy. To be statistically fair, there really should be a sliding scale based on PA that that gives you a certain number of points credit for each PA above the qualifying number when comparing the averages of two players.

One of my favorite split season stats is CC Sabathia leading both the AL and NL in shutouts in 2008.  

• Like 1

In 97 Mark Mcgwire finished in the top 10 in homers in the AL and 22nd in the NL.  

Randy Johnson in 98 is another good one.  Finished 3rd in the AL in strikeouts that year with 213 and added 118 with the Astros in the NL.

Nick has two home runs tonight.  That hurts his doubles total.  

The quest for the 850 ops is so exciting. Almost as exciting as a 16-game minor league hitting streak, or a combined complete game no-hitter. 

5 hours ago, Buddha said:

what are the odds this team doesnt lose 100 games?

50/50.

nicky c is 3-4 with 2 home runs tonight.

but im sure its just a babip mirage.

30 minutes ago, Buddha said:

It's obviously not all a BABIP mirage but he has a BABIP near .500 so it has something to do with it.   If he was doing this with the Tigers and his BABIP was near .500 would you not say that had something to do with it?   Also of his 3HRs one was extremely wind aided and still barely cleared and the other two came in the one of three most homer friendly parks against a pitcher with an ERA over 6.  

He did have to get away from the Tigers to increase his chances to face a pitcher with a 6 ERA because most are with the Tigers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Apparently Gardenhire had a good one last night.  A reporter mentioned or asked if he knew that Castellanos hit 2 HRs last night.  Gardenhire quipped "but not here".

12 hours ago, Buddha said:

Home runs aren’t included in babip calculation. So he was 1-2 on balls in play. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

He did have to get away from the Tigers to increase his chances to face a pitcher with a 6 ERA because most are with the Tigers.

Good one Biggs 👍

21 minutes ago, Shelton said:

aka babip mirage

"You wanted a drink?" 

"I thought you said you was alright Spider...."

53508389_2342172342685423_1532909520865958452_n.jpg

6 hours ago, Shelton said:

by the end of the year, his numbers will look just like jd martinez's numbers.  babip or no babip.

cause he's a really good hitter.

If Nick gives up 2 Runs via poor defense but delivers 3 RBI's via excellent hitting .. that is good.

But when he delivers 2 RBI's but gives the opponent 3 undeserved runs .. that is not good.

Which Nick will the Cubs see in the playoffs?  I'd guess the latter.

1 minute ago, Tigrrfan said:

If Nick gives up 2 Runs via poor defense but delivers 3 RBI's via excellent hitting .. that is good.

But when he delivers 2 RBI's but gives the opponent 3 undeserved runs .. that is not good.

Which Nick will the Cubs see in the playoffs?  I'd guess the latter.

let me know when you calculate how many "undeserved runs" nick has given up per game in right field, the least important defensive position on the field.

nick sucks at defense.  agreed.  but he doesnt give up 2 or 3 runs per game because of his defense.  thats absurd.