chasfh

What Will Become of Nicholas Castellanos?

How will the Tigers deal with Nicholas Castellanos?  

37 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. How will the Tigers deal with Nicholas Castellanos?

• Trade him.
    • Tender him a Qualifying Offer after the season, which he will accept.
    • Tender him a Qualifying Offer after the season, which he will decline.
    • Extend him for multiple seasons.
    • Non-tender him after the season (aka let him walk).
    • Other. (Explain in comments.)
  2. 2. Suppose Castellanos is tendered a qualifying offer after the season and he declines it? Then what?

• Will be re-signed afterward by the Tigers.
    • Will be signed by another team before the 2020 draft.
    • Will be signed by another team after the 2020 draft.
  3. 3. If the Tigers do trade Castellanos, what kind of return will they get, based on what you think a player of his level should get?

• Return equal to expectations.
    • Higher return than expected.
    • Lower return than expected.

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/12/2019 at 04:59 AM

He can be the biggest douche outside of Massengill himself... If he pull a 900 or so OPS and is good with playing 1B, I'd gladly have him back

If he had a .900 OPS, he could have continued to play right field and be valuable. 

49 minutes ago, Buddha said:

379/400/690 for the cubs so far.

with 6 doubles giving him 43 for the season.  It will be interesting to see if he reaches 60 doubles.  

7 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

He won't set, or be listed on, any doubles record because it is split between the leagues, correct?

Hopefully. 

29 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

He won't set, or be listed on, any doubles record because it is split between the leagues, correct?

didn't a player once 'win' the BA crown but since he did it half in each league he didn't qualify in either? Roughly around the 70's maybe?

I know Willie McGee won once splitting time between a NL and AL team (he won the NL crown while being on an AL roster).

I'll dig into it.

1 minute ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I know Willie McGee won once splitting time between a NL and AL team (he won the NL crown while being on an AL roster).

I'll dig into it.

That's it. It's McGee I'm thinking of. So he dId have enough to qualify in the NL. 

That was 1990, BTW.

Side Note: Eddie Murray had the highest batting average in the majors in 1990, but did not win a crown.

For what it is worth, there are 3 batting champs who played for two teams the season they won the crown that I am aware of:

Dale Alexander for Detroit and Boston,

Harry Walker for Saint Louis and Philly,

McGee for Saint Louis and Oakland.

48 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Babip

I've been watching - Nick's been raking. He raked in the second half last year too. I'm happy for him

13 minutes ago, leflore said:

I've been watching - Nick's been raking. He raked in the second half last year too. I'm happy for him

until something happens in Chicago that makes him unhappy?

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

Babip

nick has always been a good hitter and he will continue to be productive moving forward, babip or no babip.

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

until something happens in Chicago that makes him unhappy?

Perhaps. Nick was happy in Detroit for years. It wasn't until Al made it clear he is not wanted going forward that he got prickly. It wasn't professional of him but I can understand

3 hours ago, leflore said:

Perhaps. Nick was happy in Detroit for years. It wasn't until Al made it clear he is not wanted going forward that he got prickly. It wasn't professional of him but I can understand

I don't hold it against Castellanos as a person that he appears to play better in an environment that he is more comfortable in, but OTOH, if I want to win the WS I want mostly hard asz guys on my team that are going to play their butts off come heII or high water going on around them - because it often will be.

2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I don't hold it against Castellanos as a person that he appears to play better in an environment that he is more comfortable in, but OTOH, if I want to win the WS I wants mostly hard asz guys on my team that are going to play their butts off come heII or high water going on around them - because it often will be.

I think it's easier to come to play every day when you are on a contender rather than a crap team.  It must be hard to stay up 162 games a year on a team which you know is going to lose 100 games.  

what are the odds this team doesnt lose 100 games?

Well they'd have to go 30-21 the rest of the way, I honestly think the Lions have a better shot at winning the Super Bowl then for that to happen. 

40 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I think it's easier to come to play every day when you are on a contender rather than a crap team.  It must be hard to stay up 162 games a year on a team which you know is going to lose 100 games.  

IDK Lee, I can understand that a pitcher on a bad team would get frustrated with not getting any return on his effort and so might have tougher concentration issues, but a hitter gets to win an individual battle and collect a stat victory every time he steps in the box, no matter what the score or team record. A baseball game is collection of individual plays, and at the single play level, the motivation and positive feedback for success exist independent of score or record in baseball. 

Or along a different vein, some of the best pitchers often get the worst run support in a given seasone. That argues that baseball player's performances are not responding strongly to the probability of winning the game. Not quite the same question, but related I think.

All that said, it's clear that brooders are gonna brood. I just don't think it's inevitable.

5 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

No, he'll be on the Major League list for doubles.  Babe Ruth hit some of his 714 home runs in the National League.