chasfh

What Will Become of Nicholas Castellanos?

How will the Tigers deal with Nicholas Castellanos?  

37 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. How will the Tigers deal with Nicholas Castellanos?

• Trade him.
    • Tender him a Qualifying Offer after the season, which he will accept.
    • Tender him a Qualifying Offer after the season, which he will decline.
    • Extend him for multiple seasons.
    • Non-tender him after the season (aka let him walk).
    • Other. (Explain in comments.)
  2. 2. Suppose Castellanos is tendered a qualifying offer after the season and he declines it? Then what?

• Will be re-signed afterward by the Tigers.
    • Will be signed by another team before the 2020 draft.
    • Will be signed by another team after the 2020 draft.
  3. 3. If the Tigers do trade Castellanos, what kind of return will they get, based on what you think a player of his level should get?

• Return equal to expectations.
    • Higher return than expected.
    • Lower return than expected.

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/12/2019 at 04:59 AM

Since this topic has been hijacking the Boyd/Greene thread for a few days now, let's contemplate this here, now with a fun poll!

I tried to answer but the poll forces me to answer #2, which I refuse to do as there literally is no possible chance (zero chance; that's 0.00% chance) that the Tigers offer Nick a QO, so the question itself is so flawed it is unanswerable.  

5 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

I tried to answer but the poll forces me to answer #2, which I refuse to do as there literally is no possible chance (zero chance; that's 0.00% chance) that the Tigers offer Nick a QO, so the question itself is so flawed it is unanswerable.  

To piggyback on this, in the event that you are wrong and tigers somehow offer it, there is zero chance nick declines it. 

The third question is difficult to answer without knowing what “expectations” means. 

My expectation is that he will return something very low, so I voted for equal to expectation. Feels like the only logical correct answer. If you think the return will be lower than expectation then your expectation is inherently lower. 

12 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

I don't know that there's 0.0% chance. The Tigers might calculate that Nick would decline a QO so they could get a draft pick once he signs with someone else.

Even if you don't believe they will, this is a thought exercise, so pretend they do. What do you think would happen in that case?

9 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

Where's my "dfa right now" option 

That's "Other".

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

I don';t know that there's 0.0% chance. The Tigers might calculate that Nick would decline a QO so they could get a draft pick once he signs with someone else.

Even if you don't believe they will, this is a thought exercise, so pretend they do. What do you think would happen in that case?

I don't pretend anymore. Not since I was a little kid.

Just my 2 cents, you should have a 4th option on question #2: "Moot point, the Tigers will NOT offer the QO to Nick"

You'd be able to get sentiment for how many believe he'll get a QO and then what will happen versus how many think he will not get the QO....

8 minutes ago, Shelton said:

The third question is difficult to answer without knowing what “expectations” means. 

My expectation is that he will return something very low, so I voted for equal to expectation. Feels like the only logical correct answer. If you think the return will be lower than expectation then your expectation is inherently lower. 

I briefly considered putting in some standard of return, like prospects vs. non-prospects or number of players, but really, that would have reflected my expectation, and I wanted to leave it up to voter based on their expectation.

I edited the question, which I hope makes it clearer.

PS: Not certain about others... but I ain't answering #2 in its current form... there might be others...

Not trying to be a dick... just saying #2 doesn't work for me, not even pretending...

1 minute ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

I don't pretend anymore. Not since I was a little kid.

Zing! :laugh: 

1 minute ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Just my 2 cents, you should have a 4th option on question #2: "Moot point, the Tigers will NOT offer the QO to Nick"

You'd be able to get sentiment for how many believe he'll get a QO and then what will happen versus how many think he will not get the QO....

The question addresses if they do, not whether they do. It's a fun poll and you won't be graded on the response, so give it a whirl. Or don't.

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Zing! :laugh: 

The question addresses if they do, not whether they do. It's a fun poll and you won't be graded on the response, so give it a whirl. Or don't.

It won't submit since question #2 is a required field. So I guess I can't do it.

I have a fundamental difference with the premise...

Question #2 really needs another option, like “won’t be signed by anyone because he won’t agree to take 2 million and that is the most anyone will offer, even after the draft.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thank you for presenting these polls.   It helped me pass 5 minutes of the afternoon.

13 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Question #2 really needs another option, like “won’t be signed by anyone because he won’t agree to take 2 million and that is the most anyone will offer, even after the draft.”

Good one!

I very briefly considered including a "retire" option, but I thought that was a little too far afield to include.

22 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

It won't submit since question #2 is a required field. So I guess I can't do it.

I have a fundamental difference with the premise...

OK.

Just now, Tim Mitchell said:

We will unload him at any cost. One of those high ceiling middle infield guys in the low minors.

FIFY

Avila will try to trade him at the deadline, no one will be interested or at least not give up anything of value (Avila will be stubborn and not give him away for nothing).  Nick will finish the year with the Tigers and leave as a FA, with the Tigers not offering a QO.  He'll probably get about $10 million/year on the open market.  

• Like 1

I actually hope the tigers offer a QO and he declines. It would make for something fun to follow this offseason while he goes unsigned. 

2 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Avila will try to trade him at the deadline, no one will be interested or at least not give up anything of value (Avila will be stubborn and not give him away for nothing).  Nick will finish the year with the Tigers and leave as a FA, with the Tigers not offering a QO.  He'll probably get about $10 million/year on the open market.  

How many years, do you think?

12 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

So he gets nothing for him anyways?

I don't think so... 

This is trade him come **** or high water season. 

If AA gets an Encarnacion return he'll still do it. If he can attach him to Boyd or Greene to bump up the return ever so slightly, he'll do it. If AA has to pay the max amount of salary allowed (is there a limit?), he'll do it.

And I'm of the firm belief that a playoff contender will be fine with adding Casty as a bat along with one of Boyd or Greene. It WILL happen. I'm pretty certain AA will consider "anything" better than nothing, and won't blanche at trading him for a paltry return or as a throw-in. Which leads to...:

Yeah, if he can't trade him no matter what he tries (paltry return, pays salary, throw-in with B or G...), no QO.

I'm not certain about that $10 mill either. It's a pretty painful market these past few years... who knows...? Maybe if he agrees to play 1B?

I think nick can probably get something like 3/30 this offseason after he hits free agency without a QO. But he needs to be on the market when the offseason begins. 

In the impossible scenario where he has a QO attached, no one will sign him, and once midseason hits I doubt many teams will be looking to sign a long term deal, because they have likely addressed their needs already. Plus, there will be plenty of teams out of contention looking to give guys away for the stretch run. 

25 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

most likely scenario