Jump to content

Keepleyland2

6/13 @8:05 Detroit Tigers at Kansas City Royals (in Omaha)

Recommended Posts

Tigers at Royals

 Game 65

25-39

Remember him?

51tRfZO0TwL._SY445_.jpg
Pete Incaviglia

YearsK with Detroit: 1991

Tigers highlights: 11 Home runs

You may remember him from: The NCAA record book. Most RBI in a season (143), most career home runs (100), a bunch of other records. Voted NCAA player of the century by Baseball America

Baseball Reference Link and Stats:

pete.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW I looked at who was drafted ahead of Pete (who went 8th) in 1985. In draft order

BJ Surhoff

Will Clark

Bobby Witt

Barry Larkin

Kurt Brown

Barry Bonds

Mike Campbel

Other first round picks included: Walt Weiss, Brian McRae, Joe Magrane, Gregg Jefferies, Rafael Palmeiro, Joey Cora...and Randy Johnson went in round 2. Dave Justice in Round 4, John Smoltz in round 22 Mark Grace in round 24.

That 1985 class has to be up there for greatest draft year of all time right?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of not so great drafts (at least at the top): 8 pitchers were taken in the top 10 picks in the 2004 draft. Who are the only two to have appeared in more than 100 MLB games?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

BTW I looked at who was drafted ahead of Pete (who went 8th) in 1985. In draft order

BJ Surhoff

Will Clark

Bobby Witt

Barry Larkin

Kurt Brown

Barry Bonds

Mike Campbel

Other first round picks included: Walt Weiss, Brian McRae, Joe Magrane, Gregg Jefferies, Rafael Palmeiro, Joey Cora...and Randy Johnson went in round 2. Dave Justice in Round 4, John Smoltz in round 22 Mark Grace in round 24.

That 1985 class has to be up there for greatest draft year of all time right?

Pete's MLB career is the caution flag for Vaughn, who IIRC was also being hailed as the best college hitter ever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pete Incaviglia might’ve been a truly outstanding player in Japan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Speaking of not so great drafts (at least at the top): 8 pitchers were taken in the top 10 picks in the 2004 draft. Who are the only two to have appeared in more than 100 MLB games?

Gotta be Verlander and Bailey.  I wonder if Niemann is close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was Weaver in the top 10?  Also I always forget the dudes name but he was drafted real early and was a bust but kinda had a bounce back with the White Sox for a short period of time and actually threw a perfect game for them.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, theroundsquare said:

Gotta be Verlander and Bailey.  I wonder if Niemann is close.

yes on all three (97 for Niemann). Have an internet brew:

image.png.c7b7a372e9c778cf6121e38c217d3735.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

BTW I looked at who was drafted ahead of Pete (who went 8th) in 1985. In draft order

BJ Surhoff

Will Clark

Bobby Witt

Barry Larkin

Kurt Brown

Barry Bonds

Mike Campbel

Other first round picks included: Walt Weiss, Brian McRae, Joe Magrane, Gregg Jefferies, Rafael Palmeiro, Joey Cora...and Randy Johnson went in round 2. Dave Justice in Round 4, John Smoltz in round 22 Mark Grace in round 24.

That 1985 class has to be up there for greatest draft year of all time right?

Damn that is a stacked class.   Gotta be atleast in the top 3.  76 was good with Tram, Ricky Henderson, Morris and Boggs.  And if you want to include Ozzie Smith even though he didn't sign that makes it that much better.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Damn that is a stacked class.   Gotta be atleast in the top 3.  76 was good with Tram, Ricky Henderson, Morris and Boggs.  And if you want to include Ozzie Smith even though he didn't sign that makes it that much better.  

Yeah I left off guys in 85 that didnt sign but there was some good ones there too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Victor Reyes will be the 26th man for tonights game; Zimm will start for Toledo tonight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, kdog said:

Victor Reyes will be the 26th man for tonights game; Zimm will start for Toledo tonight.

I hope we see him on the field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to know why this game in Omaha allows for an extra guy on the roster. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I would like to know why this game in Omaha allows for an extra guy on the roster. 

Apparently they also allowed this for the game played at the little league World Series. It is permitted due to the logistical inconvenience. I don’t see how adding another guy to the roster helps address a logistical inconvenience, but whatever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Apparently they also allowed this for the game played at the little league World Series. It is permitted due to the logistical inconvenience. I don’t see how adding another guy to the roster helps address a logistical inconvenience, but whatever. 

guys are tired.... they might want to only play a few innings.... or to give a guy a day off because they had to travel again.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not that it matters but with all the Michigan fans in town for the CWS this may turn out to be a home game for the Tigers.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too bad the ratings for the NBA Finals are going to tank trying to compete with this game.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Too bad the ratings for the NBA Finals are going to tank trying to compete with this game.

Ha. That’s a really good one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll watch this just because it’s at the site of the College World Series which will be different, as well as because self-torture gives me something to complain about which is a better distraction than most others. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I watch games I usually just overlay Dan and Jim. What happened to all the broadcasts with “only former players?” Has that continued and I merely missed it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, IdahoBert said:

When I watch games I usually just overlay Dan and Jim. What happened to all the broadcasts with “only former players?” Has that continued and I merely missed it? 

Oh wait this is on ESPN. Anyway, my question still stands about the all players broadcast. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, IdahoBert said:

When I watch games I usually just overlay Dan and Jim. What happened to all the broadcasts with “only former players?” Has that continued and I merely missed it? 

Methinks it was quietly dispatched to the dustbin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...