kj2018

Greene / Boyd Trade Options

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

you sign him to the qo in the hopes that he bounces back next year and you deal him at the deadline.

he can obviously hit, he's had a bad first half.  i can see him easily bouncing back in the second half of this year or the first half of next year.

i would definitely offer him the qo.

He'd have no more value at the deadline next year and the attitude wouldn't improve either.    I'm surprised that you think Avila could get a thing for him after stating earlier today that he botched the JD and Fulmer deals.

3 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

He'd have no more value at the deadline next year and the attitude wouldn't improve either.    I'm surprised that you think Avila could get a thing for him after stating earlier today that he botched the JD and Fulmer deals.

I thought he did a good job on the Wilson/Avila deal.  Squirrels and nuts and all that.

You'd be betting that he returned to his previous form hitting-wise.  Then he'd have value at the trade deadline.  He could still have value this year too if he gets hot again.

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

I thought he did a good job on the Wilson/Avila deal.  Squirrels and nuts and all that.

You'd be betting that he returned to his previous form hitting-wise.  Then he'd have value at the trade deadline.  He could still have value this year too if he gets hot again.

True enough though if the QO is really $18M I think we can do better.

I don't think Nick is worth $18M, or a prorated bit of 18M in trade, even if he hits.

He isn't that good a hitter to merit the money regardless.

8 hours ago, Buddha said:

not offering him the qo is a sure sign that the tigers are cheap.

No... it's a sure sign that the FO has wizened up...

Not that it means much, but Det's farm teams (low A to AAA) are collectively 44 games under .500. Even Erie is 2 games below. I'm not confident enough in their player development to believe they will contend at all. DD got them there with trades and Mr I's wallet. Hopefully some from this years draft produce. If fans are banking on Daz (.207) and Parades (.265) they might not produce much more than the current team does.

11 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

A. He'd accept the QO.

B. I doubt a team would sign him once he turns down a QO in the hypothetical.

It's worth the risk to try to accumulate draft picks.

9 minutes ago, leflore said:

Not that it means much, but Det's farm teams (low A to AAA) are collectively 44 games under .500. Even Erie is 2 games below. I'm not confident enough in their player development to believe they will contend at all. DD got them there with trades and Mr I's wallet. Hopefully some from this years draft produce. If fans are banking on Daz (.207) and Parades (.265) they might not produce much more than the current team does.

I share your concern overall, though Cameron and Paredes are both young for the leagues they are playing in.

15 minutes ago, leflore said:

I think overall record means little in terms of player development. 

And Daz is 22 in AAA and Pareades is what 20 in AA...there are guys that just got drafted older than that.

To me, Frazier and C. Stewart look to be similar players.  I think both also need to play LF.

I’d prefer seeing us get a 1B and/or middle infielder in return. Beyond looking at positions, it would be nice to identify a top of the order talent, which we are lacking in the org.

48 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Boyd an Greene to Yankees for C. Frazier, Estavan Florial, and Jonathan Loasiga. Who says no?

yankees easily

1 hour ago, Keepleyland2 said:

I think overall record means little in terms of player development. 

And Daz is 22 in AAA and Pareades is what 20 in AA...there are guys that just got drafted older than that.

yeah - MiLB is for finding stars in amongst chaff. You never need enough MLB quality players to actually make your MiLB teams good - you just need enough to get 3 or 4 to the majors every couple of years. You draft 40 guys per year. You are better off finding 3 major leaguers and bunch of trash than 15 AAA players that *all* plateau there.

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

To me, Frazier and C. Stewart look to be similar players.  I think both also need to play LF.

I’d prefer seeing us get a 1B and/or middle infielder in return. Beyond looking at positions, it would be nice to identify a top of the order talent, which we are lacking in the org.

I think Frazier is a totally different player. Stewart is all bat. Frazier is a potential 5 tool player. He'd be starting on any other team than the Yankees and maybe Astros..... 

2 hours ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

I think Frazier is a totally different player. Stewart is all bat. Frazier is a potential 5 tool player. He'd be starting on any other team than the Yankees and maybe Astros..... 

Frazier is similar to Castellanos in the field.  He's not a 5 tool player.