kj2018

Greene / Boyd Trade Options

36 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

For some girls...the bread is way more important than the banana

Whoa.... well I don’t have a lot of bread so...

2 hours ago, Lei Pong said:

For some girls...the bread is way more important than the banana

And that's how they get a yeast infection. 

• Like 2

Don't look now but Shane has not given up a run in his past 10 appearances, each 1 inning. Just 4 hits and 1 bb over that span. I'm happy for him and I'm sure the Braves are as well 

• Like 1

I’m happy as well. He was a good Tiger. Wish him the best.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, leflore said:

Don't look now but Shane has not given up a run in his past 10 appearances, each 1 inning. Just 4 hits and 1 bb over that span. I'm happy for him and I'm sure the Braves are as well 

Shane Greene ladies and gentlemen! 

• Like 1

I have no feelings about Greene.  He wasn't good enough long enough for me to really care what he does elsewhere.  Verlander, Scherzer and JD Martinez on the other hand...

47 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I have no feelings about Greene.  He wasn't good enough long enough for me to really care what he does elsewhere.  Verlander, Scherzer and JD Martinez on the other hand...

Maybe just because I saw more interviews with Greene and we followed him through serious health issues, I was more interested in him and got more of an impression about him as a person. OTOH for JD was always a bit of a blank to me.

46 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Maybe just because I saw more interviews with Greene and we followed him through serious health issues, I was more interested in him and got more of an impression about him as a person. OTOH for JD was always a bit of a blank to me.

I thought JD was a great story because the Tigers got him for nothing and then he finally lived up to his potential because of a change in his batting mechanics.  I also thought he was the second best Tigers hitter since I have been a fan.   

It's good the players we trade away do well as it keeps the trade channels open for future trades. 

43 minutes ago, socaltiger said:

It's good the players we trade away do well as it keeps the trade channels open for future trades. 

Good point. I think AA needs that. He doesn't strike me as a guy who is easy to negotiate with - not strong with interpersonal skills. DD seems very strong in that regard

Plus the fact that you don't have to give up your top prospects when you deal with Avila helps too.

But in all honesty, we really don't know what Avila is like to deal with.  I am sure most GMs want the trade to work out for both teams because it helps in the future.

2 hours ago, tiger337 said:

I really don't have much feelings towards JD,  I mean I always liked him and thought he was a great story and all but I never really felt the connection to him like I did with JV, Scherzer and even Porcello.   Maybe cause the only playoff team JD was part of was the one that got swept so he never was here for any of our playoff runs, whatever the reason I really never felt a strong connection to him. 

42 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I really don't have much feelings towards JD,  I mean I always liked him and thought he was a great story and all but I never really felt the connection to him like I did with JV, Scherzer and even Porcello.   Maybe cause the only playoff team JD was part of was the one that got swept so he never was here for any of our playoff runs, whatever the reason I really never felt a strong connection to him. 

The connection is not as strong as that for Verlander, Porcello and Granderson who came up through the system.  

I like Greene.  I wasn't that interested in him as a closer, I liked him better as the high-leverage, inherited-runners guy.  His last year in that role was fantastic.  That's how I think he should be used.

6 hours ago, leflore said:

Make it 11 appearances - another perfect inning today 

Isn’t it sad when you can only get excited about former Tigers. I’m glad Greene and Nick got off this Titanic. I’ll be a fan of both these guys. 

11 hours ago, tiger337 said:

I was hoping he would do more... but he never quite did, so yeah, the attachment is not there like JV, Max, Miggy or JD...

But I will say this: I hope Wentz gives me a Fister feeling, and DeMeritte turns into something useful. Then I will love Greene... for the return he gave us on the investment...

17 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

Let me be the 1st to say it's too bad Avila turned down this Torres kid for Boyd.

I think that the idea that Boyd is a highly coveted and very valuable trade chip who can bring us a sweet return is some sort of mass delusion.    He'll be 29 in February, so there's a strong chance that this year he was as good as he's ever going to be.  His Career ERA is 4.92, and his Career ERA+ is 92.  And this season his numbers were not hugely better, at 4.56 and 105.  Plus he surrendered the most home runs in the American League and second-most in the Majors, in just 185 innings, for a frightening Home Runs Per 9  of 1.9.  Among pitchers with enough innings to qualify for the ERA title this year, he was 53rd in the Majors.  Not exactly Top-of-the-Rotation territory. 

His Strikeout Rate did take a big jump this year.  After several years in the 7s and 8s, his rate increased to 11.6 in 2019.  And that might seem to bode well for him going forward, but even so his ERA+ went up only three points from his 102 of 2018.  And while a one-year jump that large may mean that he has suddenly figured out how to miss bats, it may also be in significant part a function of the ongoing increase in strikeouts across baseball, or a fluke.  I'm inclined to suspect fluke, but even if he really is a K machine now, the rest of his game is far from an elite level.

He is, overall, a close-to-average starting pitcher, and nothing more. 

18 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

Let me be the 1st to say it's too bad Avila turned down this Torres kid for Boyd.

I agree, I heard that he also turned down Babe Ruth for Boyd.

I wonder if the Astros would trade JV for Boyd ..and also kick in at least $8m per year of JV's salary?

39 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

I think that the idea that Boyd is a highly coveted and very valuable trade chip who can bring us a sweet return is some sort of mass delusion.    He'll be 29 in February, so there's a strong chance that this year he was as good as he's ever going to be.  His Career ERA is 4.92, and his Career ERA+ is 92.  And this season his numbers were not hugely better, at 4.56 and 105.  Plus he surrendered the most home runs in the American League and second-most in the Majors, in just 185 innings, for a frightening Home Runs Per 9  of 1.9.  Among pitchers with enough innings to qualify for the ERA title this year, he was 53rd in the Majors.  Not exactly Top-of-the-Rotation territory. 

His Strikeout Rate did take a big jump this year.  After several years in the 7s and 8s, his rate increased to 11.6 in 2019.  And that might seem to bode well for him going forward, but even so his ERA+ went up only three points from his 102 of 2018.  And while a one-year jump that large may mean that he has suddenly figured out how to miss bats, it may also be in significant part a function of the ongoing increase in strikeouts across baseball, or a fluke.  I'm inclined to suspect fluke, but even if he really is a K machine now, the rest of his game is far from an elite level.

He is, overall, a close-to-average starting pitcher, and nothing more. 

Send him to the Astros and he’ll be a Cy Young candidate.

6 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

I agree, I heard that he also turned down Babe Ruth for Boyd.

They could have had him, but they wanted Gehrig too.