kj2018

Greene / Boyd Trade Options

Al Ackerman was the ultimate cranky old man, with even his "bless you boys" originating as sarcasm.

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

For me,  this is about mental health and not gender.   I posted my comments only after she shared a tweet about her struggles with anxiety.    

One could say that if one posts about mental health to shield oneself from criticism - although no proof that was her motive - then that could be considered a form of gaslighting.

I remember Joe having a **** take where during the uproar over Ernie's firing / contract non-renewal Joe suggested if Ernie were a real Christian, he'd go away silently instead of being selfish and fighting for his job.

It was just so bitter and cynical.  That one really stuck with me.

2 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Joe Falls was the stereotypical know it all angry old man sportswriter.  Jerry Green took over from there.  

It was awful when they dominated the Freep/News.   Jerry Green still gets his one day a year in the sun.

7 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

It was awful when they dominated the Freep/News.   Jerry Green still gets his one day a year in the sun.

If the Lions ever make it to a Super Bowl in Green's lifetime (ha!) and Green is well enough to cover it, the media will turn it into a Sister Jean moment.

I grew up with Bob Becker with the GR press. Don't recall much but he seemed ok

Here's a tribute upon his passing a decade ago to Denny Boyd, a long-time Vancouver sportswriter very much in the mold of Falls and Green. I really just wanted, with LG's help, to turn this into a Green/Boyd page!

Denny, who was married and divorced twice and had five kids and six grandkids, and drinked and smoked until it almost killed him, lived much of his life as a bachelor, revelling in his West Vancouver waterfront apartment where he’d cook himself a fine dinner and watch the freighters from the balcony.

https://vancouversun.com/news/staff-blogs/remembering-denny-boyd-my-sweet-potato-man

3 hours ago, Hongbit said:

You must have me confused with someone else. I have absolutely not derided anyone for discussing her looks.  

For me,  this is about mental health and not gender.   I posted my comments only after she shared a tweet about her struggles with anxiety.    

Oh..I thought you did...my apologies then.  

1 hour ago, LooseGoose said:

Green wasn't nearly as bad as Falls.  I never came across a single piece by Joe Falls that I considered worth the time to read it.

The guy I missed when he left Detroit was Mike Downey, and I was far from alone in that.  Could still read his stuff in national publications, but it was great having him cover our local sports for a while.

17 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

Green wasn't nearly as bad as Falls.  I never came across a single piece by Joe Falls that I considered worth the time to read it.

The guy I missed when he left Detroit was Mike Downey, and I was far from alone in that.  Could still read his stuff in national publications, but it was great having him cover our local sports for a while.

Downey was good because he wasn't afraid to stir things up.   A little over the top at times but often spot on.  LA's gain.

25 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

when both papers were still independent, IIRC, the feature sports columnist at the News opposite Falls was Pete Waldmier (who was still alive a few years ago). I liked Pete on sports but he eventually was promoted to a general columnist and I didn't find any of his political stuff of much interest. I don't think Green got  a byline column at the News until Waldmier moved up but I could have that wrong.

Was Downey the first person to call George Steinbrenner Ne w York's "Designated Hitler"?   I have a recollection that he was...but the 80's is are not a decade I retained a lot of

6 hours ago, lordstanley said:

If the Lions ever make it to a Super Bowl in Green's lifetime (ha!) and Green is well enough to cover it, the media will turn it into a Sister Jean moment.

Probably a moot point.

was also a fan of Downey’s.  And his ‘stache.

14 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I guess I need me some banana bread.

I'll bake you a couple loaves and ship them - you just need to post pics of you eating them on random street corners. 

10 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I guess I need me some banana bread.

Be sure to tell us how sexy someone thought you were, even if they didn't, to make us all think you're like totally hot and stuff. 

16 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

1*hCBj1-h4n7iZm6v-v8gNSw.png

i congratulate you on finding the perfect self portrait for your avatar.  kudos!

1 hour ago, Yoda said:

Be sure to tell us how sexy someone thought you were, even if they didn't, to make us all think you're like totally hot and stuff. 

Wonder what the “Meeting” was?

She is the exact opposite of the Woman in Baseball and it is truly offensive for her to describe herself that way.  She perpetuates the bubble-head stereotype that female reporters have been fighting for 30 years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

She is the exact opposite of the Woman in Baseball and it is truly offensive for her to describe herself that way.  She perpetuates the bubble-head stereotype that female reporters have been fighting for 30 years.

She's certainly no Doris Burke.