kj2018

Greene / Boyd Trade Options

7 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

All I will say is it seems a bit over the top to suggest far, far worse things of posters than the level of their criticism they brought towards her writing.

I think it’s worth the discussion. While I think the vast majority of the commentary has been directed toward her writing style, there have also been explicit references to her looks, and that shouldn’t be happening. 

In hindsight, I probably shouldn’t have posted her tweet with the picture of her shirt. My first thought with that was that it seemed unprofessional to post a transcript of being hit on at the coffee shop. But I probably should have known that it would lead to some of the posts that followed, which in my view crossed the line. 

I don't know if my "standing behind" cracks were among those considered "over the top" but if so - so be it.   My position is that she's been made fun of more often because she's deserved it more often.   Between her fangirling, personal posts and convoluted tweets (eg the IP tweet) it's a steady stream of items open to mocking.   Other writers male and female haven't risen to that level.

12 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

I was about to say that I pick on Fenech a fair amount.  Many here whack on McCoskey often.  Lynn Henning has taken historical beatings.   ......yet if we take shots at Emily we're bullies?    Seems to me that's it's own form of sexism.

To me you're saying the poor helpless little girl needs you as her hero to protect her.   

If she wants to take less **** - here's an idea - write better.

To be fair, I don't know as that she asked to take less ****.

18 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I think it’s worth the discussion. While I think the vast majority of the commentary has been directed toward her writing style, there have also been explicit references to her looks, and that shouldn’t be happening. 

I think it is worth the discussion as well, but I guess I didn't see what rises to the level of suggesting someone has a sexual obsession, or is jealous or resentful, for that matter.

I'll go back and read the posts, but that seemed pretty over the top to me upon first reading.

How much of the Emily criticism comes from her actual opinions on minor league players? There have been some but it doesn't seem like very much.   That’s not the case with most of the other beat writers who typically are scorched for their poor takes or attempted click bait.   

It seems to me like she’s taking a ton of heat for how she tweets.  I’m surprised as I thought Twitter was supposed to be a more casual form of conversation even among professionals.  

Anxiety is another similarity she has with Red Wings-writer George Malik to whom I previously compared her.  It seems like  a disproportionate number of sports bloggers announce their struggle with anxiety. Not sure whether that's a function of their relatively young age (I'm guessing Waldon and Malik are both around 30), more openness about it now, more (over?) diagnosis of it now, their career choice, or something else. But wouldn't a job dependent upon social media aggravate anxiety?

Don't post pictures of yourself in a bikini in your "professional" social media accounts if you don't want your looks to be a topic.

Don't post like a fan of you want to be taken seriously as a journalist

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Anxiety is another similarity she has with Red Wings-writer George Malik to whom I previously compared her.  It seems like  a disproportionate number of sports bloggers announce their struggle with anxiety. Not sure whether that's a function of their relatively young age (I'm guessing Waldon and Malik are both around 30), more openness about it now, more (over?) diagnosis of it now, their career choice, or something else. But wouldn't a job dependent upon social media aggravate anxiety?

I think young people today are more open about their mental health in general.  There is probably more good than bad in that.    

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

How much of the Emily criticism comes from her actual opinions on minor league players?

She doesn't really express any opinions about minor league players.  Every comment about players is a cliche which is usually why we make fun of her.   

Emily has taken no more crap from MTS than any other garbage-tier beat writer for her garbage writing. If the problem some are having is comments about her looks or whatever, and that they crosses some line, well Emily can stop posting selfies with kitty filters and screen-grabs of DMs saying how hot she is. That might nip such comments in the bud.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

Don't post pictures of yourself in a bikini in your "professional" social media accounts if you don't want your looks to be a topic.

Don't post like a fan of you want to be taken seriously as a journalist

6 minutes ago, holygoat said:

Emily has taken no more crap from MTS than any other garbage-tier beat writer for her garbage writing. If the problem some are having is comments about her looks or whatever, and that they crosses some line, well Emily can stop posting selfies with kitty filters and screen-grabs of DMs saying how hot she is. That might nip such comments in the bud.

She is free to post whatever she wants on her twitter feed. When she comments about the Detroit Tigers or their prospects, that should be fair game for discussion/criticism/mocking here, a forum for discussing the tigers and their prospects. When she posts something personal with no nexus to the tigers, that’s not really something that this site should be commenting on. She isn’t making those posts here.

No. It's her professional account. It's all fair game. If she wants to be taken seriously as a professional, she should leave that sort of stuff off of her professional accounts.

1 minute ago, holygoat said:

No. It's her professional account. It's all fair game. If she wants to be taken seriously as a professional, she should leave that sort of stuff off of her professional accounts.

No. Just because she uses her personal account to promote her work doesn’t mean that everything she posts is in her capacity as a paid writer. It’s not difficult to distinguish between her baseball-related stuff and her personal stuff. 

Some stuff about looks, commenting on being a female, etc. last week crossed a line and I commented in that other thread on it. I thought it was a step too far.

Having said that, the floodgates did and should have opened when she crowdfunded for a laptop. And the flood water has continued to rise with favoritism, a complete lack of objectivity, tweets that show a lack of understanding of baseball (combined complete game), and writing on par with a fourth grader.

30 minutes ago, holygoat said:

This is a awesome post if you read it in Bill Bonds voice. 

2 minutes ago, Shelton said:

No. Just because she uses her personal account to promote her work doesn’t mean that everything she posts is in her capacity as a paid writer. It’s not difficult to distinguish between her baseball-related stuff and her personal stuff. 

No. You have this backwards. That account is used primarily for her professional work, which makes it her professional account. Making a 2nd account for her personal stuff is quick and easy to do, and keeping personal and professional stuff separate is the professional thing to do. If you don't want people commenting on your looks, don't post screen-grabs of -- and squee about -- DMs you get saying how hot you are on the same account you use for work.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Shelton said:

No. Just because she uses her personal account to promote her work doesn’t mean that everything she posts is in her capacity as a paid writer. 

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

I thought Twitter was supposed to be a more casual form of conversation even among professionals.

I don't think there is any good way to square the circle here. As use of twitter evolves, there is going to have be a move toward more clearly segregating business/work/breaking-news/official-PR accounts from personal-social ones. I think it's a no-brainer that anyone using twitter in any professional capacity today should think about segregating their professional posting from their social posting.

Heck - I bet more than half of us here have more than one e-mail account for that very reason - why isn't it obvious the same would apply?

7 minutes ago, holygoat said:

No. You have this backwards. That account is used primarily for her professional work, which makes it her professional account. Making a 2nd account for her personal stuff is quick and easy to do, and keeping personal and professional stuff separate is the professional thing to do. If you don't want people commenting on your looks, don't post screen-grabs of -- and squee about -- DMs you get saying how hot you are on the same account you use for work.

No. Whether or not the majority of her posts are baseball/tigers related doesn’t convert her personally managed twitter account into a ”professional” account that must remain devoid of any personal comments. 

Again, it isn’t hard to distinguish between tweets related to her job as a prospect writer and tweets that are unrelated to that and personal in nature.

Keith Law tweets about nerdy board games and his daughter, and he works for espn.

Rob Neyer posts about happenings in Portland and bird watching, and he is the commissioner of the west coast league.

This is a know it when you see it situation.  

• Thanks 1

I did not mean sexual obsession, but an obsession with hating on her. There are numerous pages on this thread where the only thing happening is dunking on Emily. 

Resentment/jealousy = she's going on sports shows/writing professionally/getting attention for takes that are not on par with what the average poster here writes on a daily basis. 

But that's bc she put herself out there and God help her, she is trying and clearly has passion for what she's doing. That does open her up for criticism, a lot of it fair... And this new breed of reporter that comes not from the world of journalism, but the world of social media, where your personality is part of the brand, also blurs the line a bit... 

Members of this board are not her intended audience - her stuff is geared toward Tiger fans paying attention to the minor leagues for the first time bc the team is so bad and that's all we have AND it is barely covered by the local beat writers... and when it is covered, it's far from comprehensive.

But again, she's the only prominent female covering the Tigers minor leagues and a group of men firing vitriol at her nonstop, at the very least, feels mean spirited.

Just as bad... it's boring.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I don't think there is any good way to square the circle here. As use of twitter evolves, there is going to have be a move toward more clearly segregating business/work/breaking-news/official-PR accounts from personal-social ones. I think it's a no-brainer that anyone using twitter in any professional capacity today should think about segregating their professional posting from their social posting.

Heck - I bet more than half of us here have more than one e-mail account for that very reason - why isn't it obvious the same would apply?

This isn’t some crisis or anything. Twitter isn’t email. It’s a micro-blogging platform open to public view. 

Anyone who posts to it is inviting discussion. That doesn’t mean *this* site should be a forum for discussing things related to a writer’s looks just because she chose to post a picture of herself. 

29 minutes ago, irvink said:

I did not mean sexual obsession, but an obsession with hating on her. There are numerous pages on this thread where the only thing happening is dunking on Emily. 

Resentment/jealousy = she's going on sports shows/writing professionally/getting attention for takes that are not on par with what the average poster here writes on a daily basis. 

But that's bc she put herself out there and God help her, she is trying and clearly has passion for what she's doing. That does open her up for criticism, a lot of it fair... And this new breed of reporter that comes not from the world of journalism, but the world of social media, where your personality is part of the brand, also blurs the line a bit... 

Members of this board are not her intended audience - her stuff is geared toward Tiger fans paying attention to the minor leagues for the first time bc the team is so bad and that's all we have AND it is barely covered by the local beat writers... and when it is covered, it's far from comprehensive.

But again, she's the only prominent female covering the Tigers minor leagues and a group of men firing vitriol at her nonstop, at the very least, feels mean spirited.

Thank you for the clarification.

My opinion is to the extent she has been piled on is reflective of her hitting a peeve with a number of posters.

As such, I don't think it is personal thing or jealousy based, I simply think a number of posters genuinely don't care for her writing and/or substance, and once someone commented, the floodgates opened, so to say.

That written, things can be beaten to death and create a bad look, to quote Hongbit.

I don't think it is as bad as some suggest, but don't think it is nothing either.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, irvink said:

It was getting boring and it was probably going to run its course in a few days anyways. I assume everyone's going to now move on.

But I'd classify it more as teasing or mocking rather than hate or vitriol.  There's a ton of keyboard hatred and vitriol on Twitter, in YouTube comments, on Reddit, etc. but not on a moderated board like this one, IMO.