kj2018

Greene / Boyd Trade Options

48 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I’m not sure how long the Emily hate has been going on but it’s not a great look for the site.   If I’m being honest, you guys look like a bunch of bullying aholes.

I don't think it's bullying to be amused by a journalist that writes poorly or to make the point the it's hard to take a journalist seriously that takes such a personal advocacy approach. To the degree people have gone beyond that, I agree with you, but only to that degree.

I would also note that is unprofessional for a female journalist who wants to be taken seriously to post full breast close-up shots of her tee-shirts and them moan about how hard it is to be woman in baseball. After all, it's much harder to even take the selfie than just shoot the shirt on a hanger. She had to make a positive decision to do it that way. That may not justify the flavor of some responses to her, but real is real, it certainly invites it.

• Like 1

Maybe it’s because we have a higher standards for beat writers than we do for advocate journalists.

17 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I don't think it's bullying to be amused by a journalist that writes poorly or to make the point the it's hard to take a journalist seriously that takes such a personal advocacy approach. To the degree people have gone beyond that, I agree with you, but only to that degree.

I would also note that is unprofessional for a female journalist who wants to be taken seriously to post full breast close-up shots of her tee-shirts and them moan about how hard it is to be woman in baseball. After all, it's much harder to even take the selfie than just shoot the shirt on a hanger. She had to make a positive decision to do it that way. That may not justify the flavor of some responses to her, but real is real, it certainly invites it.

There’s also been some bikinis shots too.  So yeah... either you are a girl who wants to be acknowledged for being pretty and all that or you are a journalist in an industry that traditionally has given females a hard time (Jack Morris) and are fighting through it.   Perhaps a separate social media account for the personal stuff and another for the professional   

We make fun of all of the writers and their style.  To not do it to her would be patronizing and that’s worse.  We treat her like one of the boys and that’s a compliment.  

• Like 1

I think there may be an argument for going easier on her if if fact she does not identify as a serious professional journalist but rather just an amateur blogger. Just like one shouldn't be as critical of high school basketball players or junior hockey players as NBA or NHL players. But the facts that there's so much fluff on her account and that she had to start a GoFundMe to pay for a laptop this spring doesn't reflect well on The Athletic, IMO. They work on a subscription model but utilize fan-writers they can't equip?

6 hours ago, Hongbit said:
I’m not sure how long the Emily hate has been going on but it’s not a great look for the site.   If I’m being honest, you guys look like a bunch of bullying aholes.

I get worse in my inbox daily.

If she doesn't want it, then she needs to step up her game. Find a better editor/mentor. Covering a sports team is not the toy department of a news operation. It's an important part, treat it as such. 

I don't believe one person here has made a comment about the fact she is  a woman. Its all been fair critiques of her coverage and style...or lack thereof. 

As other said no more selfies of her chest/modeling shots. Write better sentences and do more than tweet out box scores. Finally, for the love of God, there is no cheering from the press box. Stop posting things like "I know you could do it, player X" and tagging four people in hopes of getting a retweet and more followers.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hongbit said:

mccoskey gets it just as bad on here.

Also, she’s not an amateur.  She’s paid by the Athletic and Baseball America, which puts her in the same category (and scrutiny) as McCoskey, Fenech, etc...  I respect and value many of your opinions/insights more than any of the beat writers.

8 hours ago, Oblong said:

Perhaps a separate social media account for the personal stuff and another for the professional   

This would be a good start.

24 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I am a bullying ******* and I embrace it.

You're the 800M runner of bullying assholes. 

That is the feeling that I get when I read the responses to her posts. That’s my opinion and I shared it.  Others are absolutely entitled to feel differently. At the end of the day, our country is run by tremendous aholes so maybe it’s not such a bad thing to act like one.   

It's a fine line.  This forum has always been about challenging the mainstream.  Sabers battled with trads for years (the sabers won!) and several people got banned over it.   We have always belittled baseball writers and I don't know that we have said anything worse about Emily than anyone else.  We have piled on quite a bit though and two people have expressed discomfort with it, so I plan to ease up somewhat.  

The funny thing here though is that this current exchange seemed to start when I made a snarky remark about wanting Greene to struggle.  I wasn't even thinking about Emily when I said that.  I was making fun of whoever said that about Mize in the other thread.    

Agreed.... point taken on the piling on.... like i said before I applaud someone for going all in on their dream and trying to succeed. That does take guts. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Do we have reason to believe she lurks or posts here?

well we're pretty awesome and knowledgeable. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

In all seriousness, what were her comments about anxiety in reference to?

Probably just in general. 

Look its the cool thing to crap all over reporters. As I said my inbox daily. And I get it woman are often targeted and get comments about their looks and weight and whatnot that men reporters don't get. 

That said, it's not like some big surprise when you sign up that things like that are going to happen. 

11 hours ago, Hongbit said:

I agree with this. She's a pro writer/public figure so poking fun of her here and there, as we do McCosky, Fenech, Henning is fine... but for me, the vitriol has crossed a line and now seems like sexist obsession/jealously/resentment by this board full of men. As Hongbit said, 'not a good look.'

Agreed. At some point it crossed the line. I think there is a big difference between commenting the poor quality of the coverage/lack of professionalism and commenting on her personal post about anxiety or commenting on her looks. That’s not cool. 

That said, she’s covering the tigers and the tigers system in a profressional capacity and shouldn’t be immune to criticism when it is warranted. Fenech and McCosky and Henning get the same treatment  

The tagging of former college programs, false stats/streaks, and fanboy messages of support are all fair game to be called out. 

I guess the problem is that those things aren’t exactly rare coming from her, so it can lead to piling on.

All I will say is it seems a bit over the top to suggest far, far worse things of posters than the level of their criticism they brought towards her writing.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Careers in journalism generally are not glamorous or well paying, so I struggle with the jealous / resentful angle.

Ftfy