Jump to content
kj2018

Greene / Boyd Trade Options

Recommended Posts

Anyone hear Avila say yesterday that Demeritte would probably come straight to Detroit? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BetMGM Michigan $200 Free Offer - Launching Friday (1/22)

BetMGM Michigan Sports Betting
Michigan online sports betting is launching on Friday, January 22, 2021. Pre-register at BetMGM Sportsbook & Casino and get a free $200 bonus at their online sportsbook & casino with no deposit necessary.

Claim $200 at BetMGM Michigan Now

5 minutes ago, thefunk said:

Anyone hear Avila say yesterday that Demeritte would probably come straight to Detroit? 

He'll probably bat cleanup in that line-up.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, thefunk said:

Anyone hear Avila say yesterday that Demeritte would probably come straight to Detroit? 

He implied that, and it sounds like he will be with the team tomorrow in Texas. 

I expect 1x4 with a homer and 3Ks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two years ago to this day, I remember wrapping up my lunch after looking at the return of the tigers’ deadline deals and thinking about how JV was still a tiger but a candidate to be traded in August, and I knew this is what I wanted to do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

An addendum to yesterday's Tigers-Braves trade: The Tigers asked for catcher Alex Jackson and the Braves said no.

It is believed that the Tigers preferred Jackson over both prospects they acquired, which draws the conclusion that they settled for a lesser package than they wanted.

Fenech

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

keith Law

Quote

• Atlanta also traded lefty Joey Wentz -- part of their huge draft class in 2016 that netted them Ian Anderson, Kyle Muller and Bryse Wilson -- along with Travis Demeritte as part of their big bullpen overhaul, sending those two to the Tigers for Shane Greene. Wentz has stalled a little bit in Double-A, still working with huge extension and average stuff across the board, another guy who hasn't seen his stuff tick up enough since high school. Demeritte is a very good defensive second baseman with a big swing and good bat speed but a history of low OBPs until he got to Triple-A this year, which makes it likely at least some of his improvement is the new baseball. I do like this for both sides but the Tigers didn't get much certainty -- Demeritte right now is probably a low-OBP, below-average regular at second, and Wentz has to work to get to be more than a fifth starter.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Shelton said:

He implied that, and it sounds like he will be with the team tomorrow in Texas. 

I expect 1x4 with a homer and 3Ks. 

0-4 if he takes advice from McClendon..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Avila said Demerette is strictly going to play in the outfield. Everything I saw from they few scouts that were interviewed about the trade said he was not a good infielder, even though he was originally a 70 infielder with his original scouting.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

he was as high as 9 in the 2016 org rankings

Scouting grades: Hit: 40 | Power: 55 | Run: 50 | Arm: 60 | Field: 50 | Overall: 50

The compensation pick the Rangers received for losing Josh Hamilton to free agency, Demeritte signed for $1.9 million as the 30th overall pick in 2013. He went deep in his first pro at-bat and led the low Class A South Atlantic League with 25 homers as a 19-year-old in his first full season, but his encore was disappointing. Demeritte hit five homers in two months in the SAL before drawing an 80-game suspension after testing positive for a performance-enhancing substance. While challenging for the Minor League home run lead in 2016, he was dealt to the Braves in return for Lucas Harrell and Dario Alvarez.

Demeritte has much more power than the typical second baseman, generating it with bat speed and backspin from the right side of the plate. He shows some ability to draw the walks and use the whole field, but he's too aggressive at the plate. Demeritte struck out in 35 percent of his plate appearances over his first three pro seasons, in large part because he's still figuring out how to deal with breaking pitches.

A shortstop in high school, Demeritte has a strong arm and average speed that many scouts thought would fit best at third base. With Adrian Beltre and Joey Gallo at third base, the Rangers moved him to second base in 2014. Demeritte had adapted well to his new position and should become at least an average defender there. Now without those obstacles, but the possibility of Ozzie Albies playing second for a long time, the Braves might consider giving Demeritte a look at the hot corner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Al certainly has a type that he likes to acquire or stand behind as they say

Niko was a 2nd round pick;  Dixon 3; Demeritte 1; Wentz 1S; Lange 1; Richan 2; Rogers 3; Daz 1S; Mahtook 1; Peterson 2; Shore 2; Long 3; Montgomery 8; Blackwood 14

International FA: Perez, Lugo, Alcantara, Parades, King, Candelario, Reyes, Rodriguez, Hernandez

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shelton said:

He implied that, and it sounds like he will be with the team tomorrow in Texas. 

I expect 1x4 with a homer and 3Ks. 

But does he wear his socks up high??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Al certainly has a type that he likes to acquire or stand behind as they say

Niko was a 2nd round pick;  Dixon 3; Demeritte 1; Wentz 1S; Lange 1; Richan 2; Rogers 3; Daz 1S; Mahtook 1; Peterson 2; Shore 2; Long 3; Montgomery 8; Blackwood 14

International FA: Perez, Lugo, Alcantara, Parades, King, Candelario, Reyes, Rodriguez, Hernandez

I'd prefer him going after former/ failed high picks than former/failed late round picks.   I think there is a much better chance the early picks breakout or bounce back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thefunk said:

Anyone hear Avila say yesterday that Demeritte would probably come straight to Detroit? 

Why wouldn't they call him up? The circumstances are perfect for a look-see right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kdog said:

keith Law

 

From 2014 thru 2015, Law was steadfast that JD Martinez was about to revert to form. Any day now...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

he was as high as 9 in the 2016 org rankings

Scouting grades: Hit: 40 | Power: 55 | Run: 50 | Arm: 60 | Field: 50 | Overall: 50

The compensation pick the Rangers received for losing Josh Hamilton to free agency, Demeritte signed for $1.9 million as the 30th overall pick in 2013. He went deep in his first pro at-bat and led the low Class A South Atlantic League with 25 homers as a 19-year-old in his first full season, but his encore was disappointing. Demeritte hit five homers in two months in the SAL before drawing an 80-game suspension after testing positive for a performance-enhancing substance. While challenging for the Minor League home run lead in 2016, he was dealt to the Braves in return for Lucas Harrell and Dario Alvarez.

Demeritte has much more power than the typical second baseman, generating it with bat speed and backspin from the right side of the plate. He shows some ability to draw the walks and use the whole field, but he's too aggressive at the plate. Demeritte struck out in 35 percent of his plate appearances over his first three pro seasons, in large part because he's still figuring out how to deal with breaking pitches.

A shortstop in high school, Demeritte has a strong arm and average speed that many scouts thought would fit best at third base. With Adrian Beltre and Joey Gallo at third base, the Rangers moved him to second base in 2014. Demeritte had adapted well to his new position and should become at least an average defender there. Now without those obstacles, but the possibility of Ozzie Albies playing second for a long time, the Braves might consider giving Demeritte a look at the hot corner.

Tigers just called Demeritte up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

Al certainly has a type that he likes to acquire or stand behind as they say

Niko was a 2nd round pick;  Dixon 3; Demeritte 1; Wentz 1S; Lange 1; Richan 2; Rogers 3; Daz 1S; Mahtook 1; Peterson 2; Shore 2; Long 3; Montgomery 8; Blackwood 14

International FA: Perez, Lugo, Alcantara, Parades, King, Candelario, Reyes, Rodriguez, Hernandez

Dombrowski used to do this too, although maybe it was Avila all along.  I understand the rationale, but I always questioned it to the extent that it merely reflects that somebody else once thought a guy was a good player.  I hope that the Tigers acquired them because the Tigers think they're good players.  Hairs split, I know, but that's how I have always looked at it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, kdog said:

Fenech

That last sentence is a little annoying.  This is the real world, no one gets what they want, you have to settle to improve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, kdog said:

keith Law

 

No one gets much certainty when trading for prospects...no matter how much pundits claim to know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Warning Track Power said:

Avila said Demerette is strictly going to play in the outfield. Everything I saw from they few scouts that were interviewed about the trade said he was not a good infielder, even though he was originally a 70 infielder with his original scouting.

 

He has been in the infield for 5 innings since 2017 ended, so I think letting him focus on outfield (and hitting) is probably wise. 

Not sure of his chops in the field. but Reyes in LF with Jones in CF is probably helpful to the pitching staff?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, davidsb said:

But does he wear his socks up high??

Only when he is hiding banned performance enhancing substances in them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Michigan Sports Betting Offer

Michigan is launching online sports betting and casino apps on Friday, January 22, 2021. These top Michigan sportsbooks have pre-launch bonus offers. No deposit is required. Terms and conditions apply.

BetRivers Michigan - If you sign up at BetRivers Michigan now, you will receive $50 in free bets to use one their online sportsbook & casino

Click Here to claim $50 at BetRivers Michigan For Signing Up Now

FanDuel Michigan - If you register now before FanDuel launches in January, you will receive $100 to use at their sportsbook app & online casino.

Click Here to claim $100 at FanDuel Michigan For Registering Now

BetMGM Michigan - If you sign up early at BetMGM Michigan before launch, you will receive $200 in free bets to use at their online casino & sportsbook

Click Here to claim $200 at BetRivers Michigan For Signing Up Early

   


×
×
  • Create New...