kj2018

Greene / Boyd Trade Options

3 hours ago, Tim Mitchell said:

For Greene, definitely. Boyd is returning 2 top 50 hitting prospects, or you don't do it.

If they get that offer they better not turn it down like they did with Fulmer.

11 hours ago, kj2018 said:

His skill set when his OPS is under .750, with blah D skills are a dime a dozen,  He may be very surprised when he gets either no offers or something that is way below what he and Boras believe he is worth

Who are these players who can put up his numbers that are a dime a dozen? And how much would you have to pay them? Not only that, but if he's dealt, who plays RF for the Tigers? Mikie Mahtook? That would be less expensive but Tiger tickets wouldn't be less expensive. So all of the fans can keep paying MLB prices to watch AAA players.

5 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Who are these players who can put up his numbers that are a dime a dozen? And how much would you have to pay them? Not only that, but if he's dealt, who plays RF for the Tigers? Mikie Mahtook? That would be less expensive but Tiger tickets wouldn't be less expensive. So all of the fans can keep paying MLB prices to watch AAA players.

I believe they are prepping Niko Goodrum to be the everyday RF when Nick leaves.  At least for a year or two. 

Daz Cameron might also be ready by then.  

20 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Not only that, but if he's dealt, who plays RF for the Tigers? Mikie Mahtook? 

For this year, who cares?

37 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

I believe they are prepping Niko Goodrum to be the everyday RF when Nick leaves.  At least for a year or two. 

Daz Cameron might also be ready by then.  

Our 3rd baseman of the future is in AAA. Our FA signed SS and 2nd baseman are hurt. Our 1st baseman can't play in the field. And they want to use our only dependable utility player in RF on a daily basis? No, unless we're offered a quality prospect, don't trade Nick. And don't offer him a QO. Let him walk for nothing. He's useless to us anyway and he's so terrible, nobody will want him. Go ahead, put another AAA player out in RF. The entire team is filled with AAA quality players anyway.

21 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Our 3rd baseman of the future is in AAA. Our FA signed SS and 2nd baseman are hurt. Our 1st baseman can't play in the field. And they want to use our only dependable utility player in RF on a daily basis? No, unless we're offered a quality prospect, don't trade Nick. And don't offer him a QO. Let him walk for nothing. He's useless to us anyway and he's so terrible, nobody will want him. Go ahead, put another AAA player out in RF. The entire team is filled with AAA quality players anyway.

Nick won't make it to the end of this season as a Tiger.

He'll be a throw-in in the Greene trade. That's it, nothing more.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2019 at 11:07 AM, LooseGoose said:

And it's obvious that he knows how to train.

I think you have Rand confused with Teeter.

2 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I think you have Rand confused with Teeter.

You're right, though neither of them set a shining example.

Doug+Teter+Los+Angeles+Angels+Anaheim+vsKevin+Rand+Kansas+City+Royals+v+Detroit+

31 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Nick won't make it to the end of this season as a Tiger.

He'll be a throw-in in the Greene trade. That's it, nothing more.

I don't know.  The way this thread has gone, they'd be better off trading Greene on his own and just riding out Castellanos' contract.

17 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I will tell you what I hate about Nick.  That stance on not wanting to play 1b.

Eat a dick, Nick.  Don't let the door hit you on the *** on the way out.

It is disappointing.  I can see from his side where there is risk to his long term future by attempting a move to 1B in a contract year, but it ain't like they're asking him to go behind the plate or jump into the rotation.

9 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I don't know.  The way this thread has gone, they'd be better off trading Greene on his own and just riding out Castellanos' contract.

Ship Nick to the Angel's. Reunite him with Brad. We'll take Trout for him. As long as they pay Trout's contract for us.

See? Rebuilding isn't that hard. 

1 minute ago, Sports_Freak said:

Ship Nick to the Angel's. Reunite him with Brad. We'll take Trout for him. As long as they pay Trout's contract for us.

See? Rebuilding isn't that hard. 

Only if they agree to take McClendon.

8 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I cannot imagine a scenario that Nick would turn down the QO.

If he did, he'd be a fool.

Boras is his agent. I can see him declining, and I agree, he'd be a fool

On 6/14/2019 at 5:32 AM, hammb said:

I don't disagree with you at all, but I also don't think you can just wait until you're "ready to contend" to START that buying. You're not going to go out and buy 3-4 impact bats in one offseason. Look at our last successful rebuild. We signed Pudge in '04, we signed Magglio in '05. We didn't really start to see returns on those things until '06 when we added Rogers and brought JV & Zumaya up, but we had all star caliber MLB bats already on the team.

We also traded for Guillen in '04 and Polanco in '05.

Had they not started adding those FA bats 2 years before the "window" I don't know that the "window" would have been nearly as successful. That '06 offense was mostly reliant on established MLB talent that was not developed/drafted by Detroit, but we didn't wait for all of our prospects to hit MLB before we started adding them.

I wanted to quote this and keep the discussion going on this idea. I’d like to see the Tigers sign some mid-tier free agents during the next off season. Not the Mercers or Harrisons of the world, but solid players that can improve the offense as the young pitchers come up. They hit on a few lottery tickets last year that they traded at the deadline. That could still happen with the potential new signings, but they wouldn’t be the main targets or plan. As has been documented here, there were some good players to be had cheaply last winter. Thoughts?

On 6/14/2019 at 8:32 AM, hammb said:

I don't disagree with you at all, but I also don't think you can just wait until you're "ready to contend" to START that buying. You're not going to go out and buy 3-4 impact bats in one offseason. Look at our last successful rebuild. We signed Pudge in '04, we signed Magglio in '05. We didn't really start to see returns on those things until '06 when we added Rogers and brought JV & Zumaya up, but we had all star caliber MLB bats already on the team.

We also traded for Guillen in '04 and Polanco in '05.

Had they not started adding those FA bats 2 years before the "window" I don't know that the "window" would have been nearly as successful. That '06 offense was mostly reliant on established MLB talent that was not developed/drafted by Detroit, but we didn't wait for all of our prospects to hit MLB before we started adding them.

3 hours ago, Dan Gilmore said:

I wanted to quote this and keep the discussion going on this idea. I’d like to see the Tigers sign some mid-tier free agents during the next off season. Not the Mercers or Harrisons of the world, but solid players that can improve the offense as the young pitchers come up. They hit on a few lottery tickets last year that they traded at the deadline. That could still happen with the potential new signings, but they wouldn’t be the main targets or plan. As has been documented here, there were some good players to be had cheaply last winter. Thoughts?

I kind of wonder if they are waiting for some of the salary obligations to come off of the books first.

Castellanos will be off of the books after this season.  Verlander's $8M/year is done after this season.  Fielder's $6M/year is done after next season.  Zimmermann's $25M/year is done after next season.

In 2021 they will have Cabrera's $30M/year (followed by a pair of $32M/year).  Per bbref, that's the only committed salary.  Obviously they'll have other guys to pay, but its all dependent upon 19 arbitration eligible guys (current figure) as well as others added to the 40 man roster between now and then.  Really, there are only 3 obligations next season (Cabrera at $30M, Zimmermann at $25M, Fielder's $6M), and some arbitration guys, and whatever else they add to the 40.

Goodrum gives them a bit of flexibility.  I suspect they'll give Candelario another season.  Stewart, Greiner, Jones are likely back.  Peterson will be on the books if not in Detroit.  I'd bet Lugo is kept around.  Mahtook?  Hicks?  If they re kept (not sure the options situation), they'd be cheap.  I don't know who they would need to add to the 40 to avoid losing, but given the nature of the positon players on the farm, I can't imagine that there are too many worth adding to the 40 unless they want to go cheap again next year with the focus on adding bats in 2021.  Lots of right handed batters, not much from the lefty side.

I don't know, maybe this offseason does bear some intrigue as far as adding position players goes.

Any gm that saw Nick in rf today will pass unless they need him as a dh. He is a bad outfielder, imho worse than last year.  No contender will trade for him as a position player. And I don't see anyone giving him a 50-mil contract. Looks more and more like he walks and Det gets nothing

14 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Stewart, Greiner, Jones are likely back. 

How are they not back?

4 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

How are they not back?

Traded for Trout.  Duh.

• Like 1

I can't imagine a scenario where the Tigers gives Nick(olas) a qo.

1 hour ago, cruzer1 said:

Of course not.  If this offseason is anything like last year’s, Nick might have to sign for two, more likely 3 years, to get $18M.

3 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

Why not?  He seems like a perfect candidate to me.

If the relationship is so strained that the risk of him accepting is reduced, they could and should do it.

We are on our way to about 60 wins, if we are lucky. Move Boyd, Greene, Nick, and whoever else we can. Pick up bats. We need them up and down in our system. Promote Rogers, Funk, Burrows,Candy at the break and let's see what they got.  The current club is awful. I picked up my free tmobile Tuesday mlb package but cannot even watch them. 

46 minutes ago, Tim Mitchell said:

We are on our way to about 60 wins, if we are lucky. Move Boyd, Greene, Nick, and whoever else we can. Pick up bats. We need them up and down in our system. Promote Rogers, Funk, Burrows,Candy at the break and let's see what they got.  The current club is awful. I picked up my free tmobile Tuesday mlb package but cannot even watch them. 

Let's see what they can do before the break.  Rogers hasn't figured out AAA pitching yet.  Funkhouser and Burrows have been injured and/or struggled at the AAA level.  I don't understand the desire to rush prospects up if they aren't ready.

I wonder if the Tigers would consider Lugo at 2B and Candelario at 3B?  I don't know how well Lugo's defense plays at 2B, so it might be one or the other at 3B.