kj2018

Greene / Boyd Trade Options

As for the rule 5 thing and demeritte, it’s true of course that he was available. But prior to this year he hadn’t shown really any ability to be a guy that could hit. He had the walks and above average power, but not enough to overcome his Ks and lack of batting average.   It looks like something clicked for him. 

In short, he wasn’t really a guy that made sense as a rule 5 pick back in December. 

You have to ask yourself what would you be willing to give up for Shane Greene?  Would you be willing to give up a premium prospect for him?  If the answer is no then why would you expect Avila to be able to pry one away from other team?

Nothing lost, nothing gained.

Two average players gone.

Four guys who will probably never contribute to the major league team added.

9 minutes ago, Shelton said:

As for the rule 5 thing and demeritte, it’s true of course that he was available. But prior to this year he hadn’t shown really any ability to be a guy that could hit. He had the walks and above average power, but not enough to overcome his Ks and lack of batting average.   It looks like something clicked for him. 

In short, he wasn’t really a guy that made sense as a rule 5 pick back in December. 

Juiced ball?

Great to see Castellanos gone and at least one guy with some seeming potential for him

Not a bad trade deadline.

If I'm an MLB GM I wouldn't have given up anything for Castellanos, and nothing particularly good for any non super elite reliever, so these returns seem solid

Just now, Edman85 said:

Juiced ball?

I’m sure that’s part of it. I can only scout the stat line here, but they use that ball in the majors, too. Ks are down, and he’s got a 390 obp.

16 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Please cut Beckham, call up Demeritte.  

Demeritte is exactly the kind of guy who a rebuilding team should call up immediately. Give me one good reason why he shouldn't go straight to the Tigers? 

26 minutes ago, SeattleMike said:

The thing I like about Demeritte is his walk rate has always been above 10% and his K rate has been coming down. It now sits around 25%, not great but he's been improving. He's also consistently hit for power. They really should call him up. 

McClendon will end that progress.

25 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

Sometimes you're the guy with the fleecing shears, sometimes you're Al Avila.

I wish we had the guys he turned down.

3 minutes ago, SeattleMike said:

Demeritte is exactly the kind of guy who a rebuilding team should call up immediately. Give me one good reason why he shouldn't go straight to the Tigers? 

There may not be a non-stop flight?

Avila on what he saw in Joey Wentz "He was a compensation pick in 2016 and is rated number 7 on MLB's prospect list for the Braves."    The Tigers analytic department consists of wikipedia and mlb.com

He also says that he will talk to Gardy after the game to see whether Demerrite should go straight to the Tigers or Toledo.  

• Like 1

Demeritte in LF...Jacoby in CF...Reyes in RF.  Jeimer moves to 1B...Lugo plays 3rd.  The Castro brothers are 2B/SS with Nick.  DFA Mercer and Beckham.  When Stewart comes back...you alternate him with Might at DH and Demeritte in LF.

TLAMF.....

Tank Like A Mother F......

55 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

You have to ask yourself what would you be willing to give up for Shane Greene?  Would you be willing to give up a premium prospect for him?  If the answer is no then why would you expect Avila to be able to pry one away from other team?

If Greene was the difference in going very deep into the playoffs or staying home and watching them on TV? I would trade for him. We got Doyle Alexander on 1987 for a hall of fame pitcher. But that hall of fame pitcher was a lottery ticket at the time. And we traded one of my favorite players for a closer in 1984, Willie Hernandez for John Wockenfuss. That turned out pretty good.

In 2017 it felt they left only $20 on the dresser. This year it was more money and a gift card from Applebee’s so it’s better. 

• Like 1

i like what they got for nick.  richan seems like a decent prospect.

demeritte looks like a AAAA player.

Y’all who are complaining about this deadline are outta your minds. 

2 months of Nick Clubhouse Cancer-ellanos.....and people really thought we’d get top prospects?

Even Shane Greeene, y’all remember he’s only really been “great” for about a year? I think in two years when Nick is hitting .235 with 12 homers and Shane is out of a job we’ll realize what really happened today.

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

The Tigers gave up less for Francisco Rodriguez who had an actual track record of being good. 

11 minutes ago, Buddha said:

i like what they got for nick.  richan seems like a decent prospect.

demeritte looks like a AAAA player.

I think he has to come up and fail at the MLB level before we can say that. 

• Thanks 1

Man, how are going to manage to find playing time for Reyes, Jacoby, demeritte, stew, and Cameron next year, especially with Cabrera healthy and hitting well from the DH spot. 

Good problem to have, I guess. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Man, how are going to manage to find playing time for Reyes, Jacoby, demeritte, stew, and Cameron next year, especially with Cabrera healthy and hitting well from the DH spot. 

Good problem to have, I guess. 

August might answer some of it. Or confirm what most suspect already.