kj2018

Greene / Boyd Trade Options

24 minutes ago, chasfh said:

The asks are astronomical as though Avila still believes he and everyone else are still operating from black boxes, rather than all the data about every player in every system being widely available. Maybe he’s hoping to catch someone unawares. 

I think mostly he doesn't want to face another 2 years of JD type "he gave him away posts" on MTS.    ?

I think unless he's overwhelmed it's better to:

a) wait and see if some team doesn't get desperate at the deadline (perhaps in reaction to another team's move?)

or

b) Keep him.  (I'd rather see this than sell him short.) 

• Like 1

I think it is just the standard gamesmanship around trading at the deadline.

Also, I'd rather teams think Al is hard to negotiate with than accommodating.

Do we really want teams surprised he is asking for as little as he is in the hypothetical?

seeing as nobody has moved yet, among any teams,  then I guess he's right to be tough in the negotiations.

"The Phillies have had recent trade talks with the Tigers, and general manager Matt Klentak will be travel to Detroit to get an in-person look at the Tigers’ trade candidates, reports Jim Salisbury of NBC Sports Philadelphia. Of particular interest to the Phils are lefty Matthew Boyd and closer Shane Greene, although Salisbury suggests that the two teams have at least discussed outfielder Nicholas Castellanos and left-handed starter Daniel Norris."

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/07/phillies-trade-rumors-tigers-matthew-boyd-shane-greene.html#comments

Can't imagine this would be the best time to trade Norris who set a season high for avg and peak fastball vel last outing (albeit in a rain shortened outing). 

Rays, Padres, Brewers all smallish market teams in big need of SP and teams that need to get multiple years of control if they are dealing good prospects. Braves are after one too, as well as big market teams like Yanks, Dodgers, Astros, Phillies. 

I know some of Boyd's results have not been great of late, but he really is the only game in town in terms of SPs with more than 1.5 yrs of control and unless he goes in tank these last two starts before the deadline, hard to imagine there will be a better time to deal him.

If the Giants hold onto Bum and the Indians keep Bauer - both possible - the SP market -control or not-is very thin.

22 minutes ago, Nazrac24 said:

"The Phillies have had recent trade talks with the Tigers, and general manager Matt Klentak will be travel to Detroit to get an in-person look at the Tigers’ trade candidates, reports Jim Salisbury of NBC Sports Philadelphia. Of particular interest to the Phils are lefty Matthew Boyd and closer Shane Greene, although Salisbury suggests that the two teams have at least discussed outfielder Nicholas Castellanos and left-handed starter Daniel Norris."

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/07/phillies-trade-rumors-tigers-matthew-boyd-shane-greene.html#comments

Can't imagine this would be the best time to trade Norris who set a season high for avg and peak fastball vel last outing (albeit in a rain shortened outing). 

Wow...I mentioned trading him in the game thread the other night but was joking mostly.   I could see a team wanting to take a flyer on him as a lower cost Boyd coming into his own  but it seemed unlikely and still does.

3 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Wow...I mentioned trading him in the game thread the other night but was joking mostly.   I could see a team wanting to take a flyer on him as a lower cost Boyd coming into his own  but it seemed unlikely and still does.

Agree, Norris feels like a real long shot.

I feel Greene is pretty close to guaranteed gone. After hearing the Cubs/Phillies interest + Castellanos' comments, I feel he's pretty close to a lock to go as well. Boyd maybe 66%?

Jimenez feels less than 50/50, but if the Giants hold onto all their relievers, maybe it's more likely he goes than not. No problem dealing a RP.

I would like the Tigers to keep Boyd and Greene.  Based on Avila's skill at trading players, the Tigers will not get anyone of future MLB quality from the trades.  Besides, the Tigers need some kind of leadership on the team.  

Boyd and Greene are more valuable than a bunch of low level, light hitting, middle infielders that Avila seems to covet.

Starting 5 rookie pitchers seems to be something that everyone on this board desires, but that is almost guaranteed to fail.  There needs to be a mix of veterans and young guys on a team.  

Castellanos...who cares.   While he is a solid player, he isn't anything special in comparison to an average MLB starting corner outfielder.

6 minutes ago, gmoney said:

I would like the Tigers to keep Boyd and Greene.  Based on Avila's skill at trading players, the Tigers will not get anyone of future MLB quality from the trades.  Besides, the Tigers need some kind of leadership on the team.  

Boyd and Greene are more valuable than a bunch of low level, light hitting, middle infielders that Avila seems to covet.

Starting 5 rookie pitchers seems to be something that everyone on this board desires, but that is almost guaranteed to fail.  There needs to be a mix of veterans and young guys on a team.  

Castellanos...who cares.   While he is a solid player, he isn't anything special in comparison to an average MLB starting corner outfielder.

so if you don't think Avila can make good trades, you really mean that he shouldn't be the gm.

1 hour ago, leflore said:

I agree, don't sell low on Norris

Norris would be of almost no use to anyone in a stretch run this season unless you abuse any reasonable innings limit for him. 

5 minutes ago, Los Gatos said:

Teams might be looking at Norris as a reliever.

Yeah, I’m guessing his age, left arm, and contract are appealing to a lot of teams, and not so much his ability to pitch in innings 1-6.

3 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

I think mostly he doesn't want to face another 2 years of JD type "he gave him away posts" on MTS.    ?

I think unless he's overwhelmed it's better to:

a) wait and see if some team doesn't get desperate at the deadline (perhaps in reaction to another team's move?)

or

b) Keep him.  (I'd rather see this than sell him short.) 

All another GM has to do is dangle the right amount of light hitting middle infielders in front of Avila and it's a done deal.

30 minutes ago, Los Gatos said:

Teams might be looking at Norris as a reliever.

as a reliever, hitters have a 1.025 OPS, so no. And overall, LHHs have a .908 OPS, so no LOOGY.

But maybe a Franklin Barreto or an Ian Happ in a swap of struggling young players?

25 minutes ago, gmoney said:

All another GM has to do is dangle the right amount of light hitting middle infielders in front of Avila and it's a done deal.

You need some original material.  ?

chicago is all over these rumors today.  talking about trading for greene and castellanos.

reportedly addison russell or kyle schwarber both on the block along with assorted minor leaguers.

but thats just sports radio hacks.  casty/schwarber would make a really nice platoon and a really dangerously bad of corner defense.  i do think the cubs might need to get rid of some salary from the mlb roster to avoid paying the tax.  not sure russell is 1) any good, and 2) on the tigers' success timeline.  caratini might be a possibility, but minor leaguers are more likely.

not sure if the cubs have any more than one or two useful prospects at this point.

3 minutes ago, Buddha said:

chicago is all over these rumors today.  talking about trading for greene and castellanos.

reportedly addison russell or kyle schwarber both on the block along with assorted minor leaguers.

but thats just sports radio hacks.  casty/schwarber would make a really nice platoon and a really dangerously bad of corner defense.  i do think the cubs might need to get rid of some salary from the mlb roster to avoid paying the tax.  not sure russell is 1) any good, and 2) on the tigers' success timeline.  caratini might be a possibility, but minor leaguers are more likely.

not sure if the cubs have any more than one or two useful prospects at this point.

I think the cubs are projected to be 8 million over the tax threshold so it seems pretty unlikely that they will be able to shed that much salary. They would need to cut the equivalent of 24 million in annual salary. 

The ask should be "astronomically high" for Boyd and Greene. We have zero pressure on us to deal either one. Castellanos?  We aren't going to sign him, likely won't be giving him a qualifying offer.  Take what you can get

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

The ask should be "astronomically high" for Boyd and Greene. We have zero pressure on us to deal either one. Castellanos?  We aren't going to sign him, likely won't be giving him a qualifying offer.  Take what you can get

Disagree on Greene. Given the fact he becomes a rental next year and relievers are crazy volatile there is plenty of pressure to deal him now. 

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

Russell is not good, sloppy and a wife abuser. Pass

16 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Disagree on Greene. Given the fact he becomes a rental next year and relievers are crazy volatile there is plenty of pressure to deal him now. 

Agreed. He performed over his head this year and these guys are huge risks year to year. 

Other possible traded candidates:

• Hardy - Oakland had interest in him over the winter.
  • Nick Ramirez - Why not?
  • Farmer - Decent arm
  • Cisnero - Why is this guy not a Tiger anymore? Is he a bad egg?

No one in their right mind would take Stumpf.

I would listen to offers on JaCoby Jones and Spencer Turnbull.  They would have to be crazy offers, though.