kj2018

Greene / Boyd Trade Options

Manning is the only one of our top five pitching prospects to not get injured this year.  Is Lloyd somehow involved in the training/rehab process?

37 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Kevin Rand

And it's obvious that he knows how to train.

5 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Less necessary.

Big bats can be bought cheaply in FA.

Assuming theyre available and want to sign here... 

2 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

I disagree 100%.   It makes shopping Boyd more of a gamble.  Trading team controlled, proven MLB starting pitching while trying to build a contender is a sure way to lengthen the rebuild.

Having no one that can hit is a sure way to lengthen the rebuild.

49 minutes ago, MDMAzing said:

Assuming theyre available and want to sign here... 

If you offer the $$$, they'll sign.

Yes, they'll sign if you pay them.  Whether or not they'll be available is another question. 

9 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Yes, they'll sign if you pay them.  Whether or not they'll be available is another question. 

Good hitters seem to be more available than good starting pitchers.   There's no way of predicting if that will be so in 2-3 years.

On 6/13/2019 at 9:23 AM, RatkoVarda said:

There will be no comp pick as they will not give him a QO which he would instantly accept 

I don't agree. No way will Boras settle for a one year contract. He'll want multiple years at $20 to $30 million per season. And if Nick has to sit out until mid-June? Boras doesn't care, he wants the money.

Just now, Sports_Freak said:

I don't agree. No way will Boras settle for a one year contract. He'll want multiple years at $20 to $30 million per season. And if Nick has to sit out until mid-June? Boras doesn't care, he wants the money.

You are wrong. 

28 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Good hitters seem to be more available than good starting pitchers.   There's no way of predicting if that will be so in 2-3 years.

Hitters seem to be a little more available, but the number of hitters and pitchers available in free agency is limited and could be even more so with more teams locking up their good young players long term.  The market is changing all the time though, so who knows?   I just don't like to assume that they can fix imbalances in free agency.   

18 minutes ago, Shelton said:

You are wrong. 

No. Boras has a proven track record of getting his players maximum dollars. Once Boras turns down the Tigers QO, he can't come back 2 months later and accept it. The Tigers would probably get a better prospect from a comp pick than a prospect any team will offer. If we can't trade him, give him a QO. If he turns it down, he'll be sitting until mid-June and we won't get any comp pick anyway. 

Maybe we can re-sign him really cheap. /s

3 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

No. Boras has a proven track record of getting his players maximum dollars. Once Boras turns down the Tigers QO, he can't come back 2 months later and accept it. The Tigers would probably get a better prospect from a comp pick than a prospect any team will offer. If we can't trade him, give him a QO. If he turns it down, he'll be sitting until mid-June and we won't get any comp pick anyway. 

Maybe we can re-sign him really cheap. /s

Boras doesn't get maximum dollars by being a fool. If the Tigers make a QO to Nick that *is* max $$ and he is going to take it, hope Nick OPS's 850 in 2020 (which is a fair bet) and live to fight again in F/A a year later.

37 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Maximum dollars in this instance is signing the QO

👍

Haven’t we learned anything from the last few off seasons?  Nick would jump all over a QO. He’s not getting a multi year offer more than $10M. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Maximum dollars in this instance is signing the QO

I see it differently. Yes, for the one season, it would be max dollars. But there's a huge risk involved for Nick. One is a serious injury. The other is a lack of performance. So $10 million isn't actually max money over the next several seasons. I agree the Tigers won't offer him a QO but we need to trade him for anything we can get. Because if we were to offer him a QO and he turns it down, no team will sign him until after the next draft, protecting their draft pick. I say let teams negotiate an extension with him (if that's allowed). That way he wouldn't be a rental and we may actually get a decent prospect for him.

I see it differently. Yes, for the one season, it would be max dollars. But there's a huge risk involved for Nick. One is a serious injury. The other is a lack of performance. So $10 million isn't actually max money over the next several seasons. I agree the Tigers won't offer him a QO but we need to trade him for anything we can get. Because if we were to offer him a QO and he turns it down, no team will sign him until after the next draft, protecting their draft pick. I say let teams negotiate an extension with him (if that's allowed). That way he wouldn't be a rental and we may actually get a decent prospect for him.

The QO is like 18 million now. 

The trick in this theory may be finding the team that wants to extend him, not rent him.

1 hour ago, Charles Liston said:

I broke 2 fingers once, just typing his name.

Is Kevin Rand that trainer who is really overweight? I remember seeing a big trainer on opening day a few years ago and I couldn't believe it. You can't make this stuff up. An obese trainer...

An obese trainer will truly understand the challenges Miggy faces...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Shelton said:

The QO is like 18 million now. 

So $18 million wouldn't be max money over the next 5 or 6 seasons if he plays and either gets seriously injured or underperforms. He probably easily get $75 million for 5/6 years on the open market. And $75 million is bigger than $18 million. But I agree with you all now, we can't offer it to him, he may take it. And Boras usually doesn't extend, he likes his players on the open market. But...the market seems to have changed a bit with owners showing some fiscal restraint.

10 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

An obese trainer will truly understand the challenges Miggy faces...

No, Kevin Rand isn't the huge guy. I think his name was Steve. Big, big dude. I was scared seeing him run from the dugout to the 3rd base line. His face sure was red...lol

Edit; my first response was hidden. Not sure why...