kj2018

Greene / Boyd Trade Options

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

signing bad pitchers with injury histories and then watching them get hurt is not bad luck.  its bad planning.

Don't forget they lost Harrison and Mercer as well.  That was devastating.  

16 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Don't forget they lost Harrison and Mercer as well.  That was devastating.  

The leadership and grittiness of the team was gutted.

46 minutes ago, gmoney said:

I am not sure where Nick C. plays on any team.  He is a below average outfielder, he is a below average 3rd baseman, I am assuming he would be a below average 1st baseman.  And if you play him at first, you will have one of the worst power hitting first basemen outside of Cabrera.  He can hit .280 but he just doesn't have the power that you want at that position.

It depends on your objective and alternatives. Eric Hosmer is pretty much what Nick would be at 1b. There really isn't a power hitting 1b type in our system, or if there is he is still a number of years away. So you are basically saying you need to find a F/A 950 OPS 1b in the next few FA classes that would be likely to sign with Det.  OTOH if you can get Nick there for a couple /3 yrs at something in the range that has been projected here - ~10mill/yr, you may be able to spend bigger FA money more effectively elsewhere. It's not a great solution but it wouldn't be as bad as some seem to think and Nick as 1b would not stop them from becoming a competitive team - IMHO. It really all depends on what $$ he would take and his willingness to move.

But basically, as long as Nick fancies himself an OF it aint happening anyway, and despite having brought up Stewart, I think Avila's preference for better fielding OFs is still there. If it weren't he wouldn't have been trying to move Nick.

47 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

The leadership and grittiness of the team was gutted.

The team won't admit it, but, believe me, some of the younger players forgot how to get to work without Mercer and Harrison around.

When you walk into the dressing room and see Harrison chewing on a light bulb, it just has to motivate you.

• Like 1

UnIess he finishes really strong, i think it's doubtful Nick could get the 19 million or whatever that a QO would provide on a 2 year FA deal.  

Anybody else using the Trade Simulator?

https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/trade-simulator/

Name Position MTV ($Ms)
Ashby LHP 2.6
Lutz OF 17.4
Turang SS 16.6

Total Value: 36.60

Brewers

Name Position MTV ($Ms)
Boyd SP 34.4

Total Value: 34.40

8 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

When you walk into the dressing room and see Harrison chewing on a light bulb, it just has to motivate you.

That's what I appreciate about you, Liston.  Putting the intangibles into perspective.

Side note: are you a fan of the show 'Letterkenny'?

3 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

Name Position MTV ($Ms)
Ashby LHP 2.6
Lutz OF 17.4
Turang SS 16.6

Brewers

Name Position MTV ($Ms)
Boyd SP 34.4

Interesting tool... I about agree with the Brewers deal and you had mentioned this I believe previously. One could figure about Houston, NYY, TBay & Philly off the top of ones head (IF Boyd involved)? Was thinking a 1B, someone like Dom Smith & NYM (for other players - not MBoyd).

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

That's what I appreciate about you, Liston.  Putting the intangibles into perspective.

Side note: are you a fan of the show 'Letterkenny'?

I haven't seen it yet - one of these days I am going to start at season 1.  Do you like it?

6 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

Name Position MTV ($Ms)
Ashby LHP 2.6
Lutz OF 17.4
Turang SS 16.6

Brewers

Name Position MTV ($Ms)
Boyd SP 34.4

I listened to an interview with the guy who created the site on a FG podcast. He was pretty high on Boyd, said he was best chip likely to be avail and that Tucker was not an unreasonable ask. Tho I'm playing with it now and Tucker is worth 20 more points.

Greene is worth 9.6, Castellanos 1.4, so can't even throw them in to make up the difference...

5 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

I haven't seen it yet - one of these days I am going to start at season 1.  Do you like it?

Prediction: You will love it.

EDIT:  Here is a clip for your viewing pleasure

Morosi:

While serious talks have yet to occur, the Padres are evaluating Tigers left-hander Matthew Boyd as a trade possibility, sources said this week.

The Padres are working to acquire a controllable starting pitcher, either before the July 31 Trade Deadline, or in the coming offseason. They’ve also inquired to the Mets about right-hander Noah Syndergaard, sources say.

Boyd, 28, is in the midst of a career year, with a 3.87 ERA over 107 innings. His 7.10 strikeout-to-walk ratio is the best in the American League, and he’s tied for sixth in the Majors with 142 strikeouts.

The Tigers are under little pressure to move Boyd this month, since he won’t be eligible for free agency until after the 2022 season. Yet, that duration of team control makes Boyd appealing to many suitors -- including those, like the Padres, who aren’t closely contending for a division title this year. Accordingly, a trade of Boyd represents the Tigers’ best opportunity to obtain multiple high-end players this month.

The Padres are known for their quantity and quality of young starting pitchers. The same is gradually becoming true of the Tigers, who prefer to acquire at least one potential All-Star position player if they move Boyd. In that sense, a trade fit between the clubs isn’t obvious at first glance.

However, the sides could find common ground on a proposal that sends a Major League position player from San Diego to Detroit as part of the deal. Hunter Renfroe or Franmil Reyes, both of whom are under control for longer than Boyd, would address the lack of power among the Tigers’ projected outfielders for 2020 and beyond.

If the Padres balk at parting with Renfroe or Reyes, for fear of weakening their 2019 lineup during a possible National League Wild Card race, the Tigers could include right fielder Nicholas Castellanos as part of a larger deal involving additional prospects from the Padres' farm system.

https://www.mlb.com/news/padres-interested-in-tigers-pitcher-matthew-boyd

Just now, MDMAzing said:

Franmil Reyes was there to take without giving anyone up.  Unsurprisingly, Avila took the wrong Reyes in the rule 5.

Proud to say I was on Team Franmil back in the day.

The Renfro-Reyes stuff is just hopeless speculation on the part of Jon Paul. Refroe is having a great year, but he is already Boyd's age and entering decline right as the Tigers hope to be good. 

Franmil is bat only guy, sort of what we hope C-Stewart will become.

Padres have a really good, really deep system, and I always thought they made sense. A fair deal can be built without their MLB guys. 

Avila word salad:

"That’s hard to say," Avila told the Jamie and Stoney Show on 97.1 The Ticket. "Right now there’s a lot of pitching available, particularly relievers, so it’s hard to say. I would say that I would expect interest in our pitchers, they’ve done very well. Obviously I've been in contact with a lot of GM's. Nobody’s been overly aggressive, but I think it's just because of the timing of it right now. I'll know more coming out of this weekend, as far as how aggressive teams are going to be.

"I think Shane Greene put it in the right words, that any reliever that’s pitching well right now on a rebuilding team can obviously be a target. They’ve pitched well, so there’s reason to believe that there would be some interest." 

"That’s true," Avila acknowledged. "The position players right now, it’s one of those things where unless you see the stats across the board as far as on-base-percentage, OPS, your home runs, things of that nature, you tend to get nervous about it."

Detroit's top hitting prospect is infielder Isaac Paredes, the No. 83 prospect in baseball, via MLB Pipeline. He's batting .256 with a .729 OPS this season with Double-A Erie. Shortstop Willi Castro is also catching eyes in Triple-A Toledo, with a .296 average and a .827 OPS. After those two, the best bats are still a long way away. 

When the time comes to supplement the big-league lineup, Avila said, the Tigers plan to be aggressive on the free agent market. They like that they already have the arms in-house. 

"One thing that we’ve learned over the years is the pitching on the free agent market is really volatile. It's very risky. Not only with us, but if you look across the league and other teams' free agent pitching acquisitions, not all of them have always panned out very well. So that’s one thing we feel really good about, is homegrown pitching. We think we we have really high-end guys, and that'll help us compete for a long time.

"Now, obviously we have to bring along some hitting. And we feel that wherever we are going to be deficient as far as hitting is concerned, we should be able to go out there on the free agent market and try to make an acquisition or two as things develop at the Major League level." 

https://971theticket.radio.com/articles/avila-waiting-better-trade-offers-matthew-boyd-shane-greene-nobodys-been-overly-aggressive

If what AA said is true, Imho that's great news. Their farm is still void of bats and they'll need FA bats when the pitching prospects are ready. Maybe .500 by 2021 and contention by 2022 is possible

They keep saying it.....hopefully they do it.

When the time comes to supplement the big-league lineup, Avila said, the Tigers plan to be aggressive on the free agent market. They like that they already have the arms in-house. 

10 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

They keep saying it.....hopefully they do it.

Hopefully, they can do it.  Other teams will be competing for the good free agents too.  

I was interesting to hear Avila defend the Tigers drafting under his tenure (Adames, Suarez, Garcia etc). You could almost hear the subtext between the lines being "Those were trades we didn't need to make"

From McCosky

Boyd, with three years of team control remaining, is the Tigers’ most valuable trade chip. There are a lot of teams that like, want and need Boyd. Interestingly, among those tracking Boyd are the analytically savvy teams like the Dodgers, Braves, Astros and Tampa.

That has to give the Tigers a pause. As much as they have stepped up their analytical game, they are still lagging far behind those teams. So what are those teams seeing in Boyd that maybe they haven’t been able to see? And how does that affect the package they are seeking in return?

Would it be smarter to hold on to him and try to unlock whatever it is they are seeing? The risk involved there, though, is a repeat of the Michael Fulmer saga. 

The Tigers’ initial ask for Boyd was a big-league ready hitter and at least one top prospect (Double-A and up). You wouldn’t expect that price to drop too much.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2019/07/11/second-half-detroit-tigers-trust-darkest-hour-right-before-dawn/1702603001/

30 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Hopefully, they can do it.  Other teams will be competing for the good free agents too.  

Based on recent free agents.. this is not an accurate statement.