kj2018

Greene / Boyd Trade Options

2 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

I think if you are comparing this year's war and benefit from a yankees perspective. Its more fair to compare Tores + Whoever Boyd replaces WAR vs Boyd and whoever replaces Torres given one is a pitcher and one is a hitter.

Is that difference going to be more than a win this season given that we are halfway through the season?

1 minute ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I thought the line was I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today, but I admit to not knowing what is canon in the Popeye universe.

YES thats it ! Thank you...see old and with memory issues !

Just now, socaltiger said:

In general Al should stay away from Cashman. I don't think that turns out well for us.

I have no basis to judge this on.

Just now, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I have no issue with asking for Torres initially, FWIW.  But Al isn't going to get him and he knows it.

Agree.   But you start there to let the Yankees know the price is going to be more than Alfredo Simon.

Just now, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I have no basis to judge this on.

Just a general observation that Cashmans deals usually turn out in his favor. I think the last time we traded with him and Arizona the Yankees netted DIDI Gregorias and Chad Green and we ended up with Shane Greene after the dust settled a couple years later.

3 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Agree.   But you start there to let the Yankees know the price is going to be more than Alfredo Simon.

Sure.  But the Yankees know that as well.

Everyone knows it is a dance, but the dance is danced nevertheless because there is no harm in doing it on the off chance your trading partner is irrational at the time.

Whatever.  I really think fans make much, much more out of that sort of thing than is really there.

5 minutes ago, socaltiger said:

Just a general observation that Cashmans deals usually turn out in his favor. I think the last time we traded with him and Arizona the Yankees netted DIDI Gregorias and Chad Green and we ended up with Shane Greene after the dust settled a couple years later.

I personally read little into that.  Shane certainly had a ceiling that makes that deal defensible for the Tigers on my end.

Honestly, I'd suggest history says Arizona shouldn't trade with Detroit and New York more than anything.

10 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Is that difference going to be more than a win this season given that we are halfway through the season?

Yes (cause I would really like Torres to be a Tiger)

13 minutes ago, socaltiger said:

Probably because they are often the one trading for the established big leaguer. Which is, most of the times, better than the prospects going the other way. 

8 minutes ago, socaltiger said:

Chad and Cessa were traded for Justin Wilson. We received Shane Green in an earlier trade with them

2 minutes ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

Chad and Cessa were traded for Justin Wilson. We received Shane Green in an earlier trade with them

Thats right I mixed the two. I think we got Robbie Ray, Arizona got Fister and The Yankees got DIDI. Is that correct ?

5 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Probably because they are often the one trading for the established big leaguer. Which is, most of the times, better than the prospects going the other way. 

Yes, this is one of the difficult parts of re-building.  

11 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I personally read little into that.  Shane certainly had a ceiling that makes that deal defensible for the Tigers on my end.

Honestly, I'd suggest history says Arizona shouldn't trade with Detroit and New York more than anything.

Well your right Arizona certainly gave up the best asset.

48 minutes ago, socaltiger said:

In general Al should stay away from Cashman. I don't think that turns out well for us.

Yep.  Astute Al may start off asking for Gleyber Torres and wind up settling for a bobblehead of Joe Torre.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Nobody is disagreeing with any of your points.

What people object to is that this was some unreasonable inital ask.

I suppose it's not unreasonable to ask, but it's hard to think of any recent deadline trades where a contending team traded a young player who is a regular and already has a good track record.  The best fans of selling teams can hope for at the deadline is a top prospect.  

2 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

Yep.  Astute Al may start off asking for Gleyber Torres and wind up settling for a picture of Joe Torre.

An old picture when he was still playing or a recent one?  

5 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

Yep.  Astute Al may start off asking for Gleyber Torres and wind up settling for a picture of Joe Torre.

Joe-Torre-player-face.jpg

3 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I suppose it's not unreasonable to ask, but it's hard to think of any recent deadline trades where a contending team traded a young player who is a regular and already has a good track record.  The best fans of selling teams can hope for at the deadline is a top prospect.  

Does Austin Jackson count?

2 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Ask Shelton.  

22 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

No. 

4 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

Al Avila: "Show me your best middle infield talent if you want to trade with me." 

I'll freaking take Gleyber Torres... R.U. kidding me?

1 hour ago, LooseGoose said:

I would agree in general, I don't agree with those that say it was absurd to ask.   Why not ask for more than you think you'll get if the Yankees are doing the calling?   

Exactly.

Obviously asking for Torres is shooting for the moon. And the Yankees aren't going to give us the moon.

But if you start by asking for 3 middling A- relief pitchers... guess what kind of package we'll end up with for Boyd?

I think a team that thinks they need Boyd during the season will give up more and move more quickly.  Many deadline deals are for players that teams believe will help them in the playoffs.  However, if you’re on the bubble to make the postseason, getting Boyd right now will give the acquiring team six more starts, which could make a significant difference.

The best part about Boyd is that he’s young, cheap, controllable and a lefty who can get swinging strikes.  We should ask for the moon. He’s our last best chance to get a good position prospect(s).