kj2018

Greene / Boyd Trade Options

With the Red Sox and Cubs among the teams with evaluators at Comerica Park, Boyd hit a familiar hurdle as summer settles in. After giving up just seven home runs over his first 12 starts, the left-hander will finish June with 10 homers allowed over 29 innings, comprising nearly a third of his 32 hits allowed. It hasn’t been one particular pitch plaguing him, as the fastball was earlier this month; the six homers allowed over his last two starts have come from across his repertoire.

Contending teams in need of starting pitching, of course, have to consider results as July approaches and the trade market heats up. With a strong resume, an unquestioned work ethic, a track record of adjustments and improvement and three seasons left before free agency, Boyd still has appeal to teams, especially those whose windows of contention are just beginning to open. But at what cost?

The Tigers have placed a high sticker on Boyd so far, their asking price believed to include multiple impact prospects, similar to what the White Sox received from the Cubs for Jose Quintana two years ago with similar years of control remaining. With Cleveland back in contention, thanks in part to series sweeps of the Tigers the last two weekends, and Texas rolling behind Minor -- who tossed his second complete game of the season -- the supply of available starters could be trending in Detroit’s favor. Still, a midseason slump from Boyd won’t help the Tigers meet their return target as they look for a big deal to further stock young talent for their rebuild.

https://www.mlb.com/tigers/news/matthew-boyd-strikes-out-11-in-loss

The Rays are expected to pursue multiple bullpen upgrades on this year’s trade market, Juan Toribio of MLB.com reports in his latest inbox column. Toribio lists some speculative targets, including Shane Greene, Ken Giles and Kirby Yates. It’s also possible, Toribio notes, that Tampa Bay will look to add a right-handed bat to its bench mix.

Sounds like the perfect club to package Greene and Castellanos.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/06/rays-trade-rumors-relievers-bullpen-right-handed-bat.html

Do you think he still has that mitt from high school?

56 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I don't know, where does Castellanos play in Tampa's lineup?  Where does he serve as an upgrade?

image.thumb.png.8ca38561331d93d6701171148d1ba45c.png

Catcher.   Inge can tutor him.

they could always try him back at 3B.  His bat would be a big upgrade there--let Robertson come in as a defensive replacement in the 8th inning.

Tampa is getting very little offense out of third base and it appears Duffy won’t be back for a while. I agree that Nick might be a fit there if all parties were in. Boros may not like it. Nick may even say no as well.

3 hours ago, Casimir said:

I don't know, where does Castellanos play in Tampa's lineup?  Where does he serve as an upgrade?

image.thumb.png.8ca38561331d93d6701171148d1ba45c.png

Like it said; right handed bench bat.

The irony of Castellanos not having a place in Tampa's lineup because they have Avi Garcia. 

Nick will go to Tampa, a team that develops talent, and somehow become adequate in the field

34 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Tampa is getting very little offense out of third base and it appears Duffy won’t be back for a while. I agree that Nick might be a fit there if all parties were in. Boros may not like it. Nick may even say no as well.

Yandy Diaz is currently on the IL but due to back any time now.

image.png.5d4b87fc939994753eca0492f2273e57.png

Plus he can actually play 3B.

On 6/24/2019 at 10:28 AM, Shelton said:

Gotta keep nick for the rest of the year. He brings people the park. 

Is he a part-time Uber driver?  Man, I know he wants a big payday, but that is ridiculous.  

2 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Is he a part-time Uber driver?  Man, I know he wants a big payday, but that is ridiculous.  

He was asked to drive Uber, but he refused to without an extension. He just wants to be the best checker cab guy he can be. 

Nick as bench bat for TB will be a dream come true for everyone. Squeeze a better prospect out of the Rays when we send them Greene (and of course eat all of Nick's salary).

28 minutes ago, irvink said:

Nick as bench bat for TB will be a dream come true for everyone. Squeeze a better prospect out of the Rays when we send them Greene (and of course eat all of Nick's salary).

Not as much of a dream come true as the Robson 15 game hitting streak.

6 hours ago, Casimir said:

Not as much of a dream come true as the Robson 15 game hitting streak.

No, can't compete with that. I hear folk songs are already being written about "Joltin' Jacob."

9 hours ago, irvink said:

No, can't compete with that. I hear folk songs are already being written about "Joltin' Jacob."

The Maple Masher.

11 hours ago, irvink said:

he started baseball's famous streak

that gave us all some fun

he's just a man and not a freak

joltin jacob robson...

On 6/27/2019 at 8:07 AM, Casimir said:

Do you think he still has that mitt from high school?

C'mon...SS wears a glove. Only C and 1b wears a mitt.  :)

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

he started baseball's famous streak

that gave us all some fun

he's just a man but not to Emily

joltin jacob robson...

Fixed it for you

1 minute ago, irvink said:

LOL. Al, the master negotiator.

Well it is better to start high than to start low.