kj2018

Greene / Boyd Trade Options

I was looking at that same thing as was going to post it in the Castellanos thread. If Nick were a mental case who was hitting right now, I'd be a lot more optimistic about moving him.

On 6/22/2019 at 10:23 PM, 84 Lives!!! said:

I'm planning on everything going right for the Tigers in 2020 and beyond...

file-20180412-577-zq8tds.jpg?ixlib=rb-1.

Gotta keep nick for the rest of the year. He brings people the park. 

59 minutes ago, kdog said:

Jonah Keri

If there had been a decent market for him last year he would have been gone.   This year I doubt there's any market at all.

Nick needs to go even if they have to pay his salary to get a fringe prospect. It's way overdue. This needs to be a lesson for management. If a player can not perform in the field just "PASS' and move on. Sooner the better. I think thats what Leyland meant the other day.  

We have the same situation with Stewart in left field now. He shows hit potential but can not play Comerica Park Leftfield and does not have the arm for Rightfield or any position. But my guess is they will tout "progress working with Clarkie" and "he can hit" until the cows come home like we did with Castellanos as our defense and pitchers suffer. 

Just now, socaltiger said:

Nick needs to go even if they have to pay his salary to get a fringe prospect. It's way overdue...

Yes.

Just now, socaltiger said:

... We have the same situation with Stewart in left field now. He shows hit potential but can not play Comerica Park Leftfield and does not have the arm for Rightfield or any position...

Have him platoon at DH with Cabrera.

Call up Reyes for another shot at the OF.

9 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Yes.

Have him platoon at DH with Cabrera.

Call up Reyes for another shot at the OF.

Reyes and Jones have both been on fire recently. Maybe too much to expect either of them morph into reliable guys - esp Jones as he is not young anymore. But Reyes is making it interesting right now and putting his speed next to Jones would certainly make for a better OF. If there is a year to experiment and look at guys, this is it.

For the record, since Jones bottomed out the 1st week in May at about a 140BA, he has gone 162 PA with a 922 OPS. 

On 6/21/2019 at 6:03 PM, irvink said:

Yeah, I'm not in the camp that believes we'll get an Eloy/Cease like package for Boyd, but if they are going to move him, they have to do better than Dubon as a centerpiece. Maybe a decent 2nd player.

FG has him ranked 4th in the Brewers system, with a 45 grade. His numbers are not particularly impressive for a 24.9 year old in the PCL. Avila got better return for Leonys Martin. 

Milwaukee is a great matchup based on trade-team needs, but not so much with our prospect needs. I don't like Dubon either. If Hiura's not included, I wanna look elsewhere.

I thought there were systems that better matched up with our prospect needs... Atlanta, Philly... I made a whole list but it's at home so I forget who else was on there, off the top of my head... 

5 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

... If there is a year to experiment and look at guys, this is it.

I don't think I've ever heard anything more true, in my life....

1 hour ago, LooseGoose said:

If there had been a decent market for him last year he would have been gone.   This year I doubt there's any market at all.

On the contrary, I think a lot of outlets would love to get Jonah Keri. 

1 hour ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Milwaukee is a great matchup based on trade-team needs, but not so much with our prospect needs. I don't like Dubon either. If Hiura's not included, I wanna look elsewhere.

I thought there were systems that better matched up with our prospect needs... Atlanta, Philly... I made a whole list but it's at home so I forget who else was on there, off the top of my head... 

I think we're setting our sights too high if it's a Hiura type or bust. Again, Brewers managed to hold onto him when dealing for Yelich. It feels like top 10-20 prospects at AA or higher never get dealt anymore. Even Eloy was in Hi-A when he was traded.

A Turang-Lutz package feels more realistic. Those guys would probably be 4 and 5 in the Tiger system. I hope Avila can do a bit better than that, get a headliner that's more like a top 50 guy, but I'd probably rather take that Brewer package than hold onto Boyd and risk him looking more like a backend guy or getting hurt and losing all his value. Boyd feels like the last best shot the Tigers have to add top 100 level guys (outside the top of the draft)  to a system that still desperately needs them. 

46 minutes ago, irvink said:

I think we're setting our sights too high if it's a Hiura type or bust. Again, Brewers managed to hold onto him when dealing for Yelich. It feels like top 10-20 prospects at AA or higher never get dealt anymore. Even Eloy was in Hi-A when he was traded.

A Turang-Lutz package feels more realistic. Those guys would probably be 4 and 5 in the Tiger system. I hope Avila can do a bit better than that, get a headliner that's more like a top 50 guy, but I'd probably rather take that Brewer package than hold onto Boyd and risk him looking more like a backend guy or getting hurt and losing all his value. Boyd feels like the last best shot the Tigers have to add top 100 level guys (outside the top of the draft)  to a system that still desperately needs them. 

FGs has 50s on Ray and Lutz. 45s on Turang and Dubron. And 40s on Joe Gray and Erceg. Blah.

1 hour ago, RatkoVarda said:

FGs has 50s on Ray and Lutz. 45s on Turang and Dubron. And 40s on Joe Gray and Erceg. Blah.

Turang is rising tho, on the FG board after a nice start to the season. The pop has not come, but he is 19, doesn't turn 20 until late Nov. and he's hitting 296/395/374 in the MWL w/ 43bb/48k. 16 SB. Plus it sounds like he's a for sure SS. 

I like him best on Brewer list after Hiura. 

The Cardinals closer, Jordan Hicks, has been diagnosed as having a torn UCL. This may prompt them to look outside the org for help. Will Smith and Greene are two guys that would definitely come into play. 

32 minutes ago, 1776 said:

The Cardinals closer, Jordan Hicks, has been diagnosed as having a torn UCL. This may prompt them to look outside the org for help. Will Smith and Boyd are two guys that would definitely come into play. 

Greene instead of Boyd?

6 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Greene instead of Boyd?

Thank you for that. Indeed, I meant Greene. Will edit above.

this board is way too critical of castellanos.  he is a very good hitter who had a bad first half.  he has value in this league even if he is a poor fielder.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Buddha said:

this board is way too critical of castellanos.  he is a very good hitter who had a bad first half.  he has value in this league even if he is a poor fielder.

The situation with Castellanos is partly timing. He's having a poor season in what is basically a walk year. Since he is not worth a QO, the it's not unreasonable that the Tigers should be looking at his replacements by the 2nd half  but  benching Nick won't play well - ergo, moving him would be best all around.

6 minutes ago, Buddha said:

Not alot of value.  He would be a rental, a FA after the season. As for the Tigers losing his production? Does it really matter?

The Cardinals lost their closer, Jordan Hicks, possibly for the season. They're only 2 games back in the division and are holding the 2nd wild card spot. I wonder if they would have any interest in Greene and if they have a couple of prospects they would part with?

Edit;

Oops..I see it's already been mentioned. My bad...