kj2018

Greene / Boyd Trade Options

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I do.  Knew there was a reason I never trusted any of your posts.

When I was in the Fortune 500 I never had a problem with any advertising guys, the bete noirs for the engineers in general were the sales execs.

19 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

indeed, they could have brought Suarez up and he probably would have done fine. In the 85 games he played when Iglesias went out in '84 he did OK. But that is another thing I really haven't liked in the professed world view of the management - that 'you can't expect a rookie to play on a championship team" BS. There are good players and there are bad players. Even a rookie has been playing the game for half a lifetime.

I can buy that theory a *little* for an NHL  defenseman, and maybe an NFL QB, but not may other places in pro sports.

I thought engineers were numbers guys.

14 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

I thought engineers were numbers guys.

42/75/74/20/6f/66/20/43/6f/75/73/65/21

Spoiler

for the ASCII challenged:

"But of Course!"

20 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

When I was in the Fortune 500 I never had a problem with any advertising guys, the bete noirs for the engineers in general were the sales execs.

We’re good dudes, though I did do media sales at Facebook a while back, for a hot second.

The Yankees might want Boyd, but I'm not liking their system at all.  They have enough for Greene imo. 

• Like 1

Just now, RatkoVarda said:

Nick is 8, Boyd 9 and Greene 12 for Top 50 trade candidates

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/06/top-50-trade-candidates-2019-mlb-trade-deadline.html

They actually say Boyd and Merrifield are two top candidates but are listed lower due to the likelihood Det and KC keep them. Listing Nick at 8 seems odd to me given his D. Maybe as a dh

20 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

so why did they both sign within a week of the draft concluding?  Are you suggesting that the picks had nothing to do with it?

20 hours ago, TigerNation said:

It is moot. Keuchel didn't all of a sudden lower his demands because the draft passed.

Their demands exceeded the market for their services.  They signed after the draft because it got to the point where teams were willing to wait it out.

Had their demands been more in line with what teams were willing to offer (say 4 year deals), they'd have been signed.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

It's almost as if teams valued the comp pick, which effectively lowered the market value for those players.

Sure, its a part of the equation.

19 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Regarding botching the Nick pick, whom should they have drafted with that pick?

I haven't looked, so maybe they did.  My guess is there are only a few guys drafted after him that had a significantly better career. 

Castellanos has put up a career 4.9 WAR per bbref (wow, didn't realize it was that low.

2nd round picks include Jedd Gyorko (59th overall, 10.9 WAR), Andrelton Simmons (70th, 35.9 WAR), and Derek Dietrich (79th, 6.4 WAR).  Goodrum in the round as well (71st, 1.8 WAR).

3rd round picks include Addison Reed (95th, 6.1 WAR), and JT Realmuto (104th, 15.7 WAR).

4th round picks include Sam Dyson (126th, 5.1 WAR), James Paxton (132nd, 11.3 WAR), and Eddie Rosario (135th, 10.1 WAR).

But this is all hindsight and not necessarily indicative of "botching the pick".  That frame of reference needs to back in time to the draft.

15 hours ago, chasfh said:

The Cubs are lousy with outfielders so they're definitely out. The White Sox are not in win now mode so they're practically out. The Cardinals have Fowler on the books until 2021 so they're out. Nick is not a clear improvement on Mazara so Texas is out. Nick to replace Adam Jones is a wash so Dbacks are out. Nick to replace Piscotty is a wash plus he's more expensive so A's are out. Same with Markakis in Atlanta. The only one of those that might come close to making sense is Indians if money is no object since they need DH help too, but I'm guessing that for the team that tried to move Corey Kluber to cut payroll, money is an object.

Unless he's a throw-in on a Boyd or Greene deal, I think you'll need to get used to having Nick around for the rest of the year.

Texas could move Mazara to LF, Gallo to 1B, and Castellano to RF which would effectively replace current 1B Ronald Guzman.

Cleveland needs to make a move now while they have Lindor.  I don't think going for a wild card spot makes sense, but they could make some rationale of it by going after Greene as well whom they could have for another season.  Plus, Castellanos comes off of the books after this season, so they aren't tied into him long term if they don't want him long term.  

39 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Castellanos has put up a career 4.9 WAR per bbref (wow, didn't realize it was that low.

2nd round picks include Jedd Gyorko (59th overall, 10.9 WAR), Andrelton Simmons (70th, 35.9 WAR), and Derek Dietrich (79th, 6.4 WAR).  Goodrum in the round as well (71st, 1.8 WAR).

3rd round picks include Addison Reed (95th, 6.1 WAR), and JT Realmuto (104th, 15.7 WAR).

4th round picks include Sam Dyson (126th, 5.1 WAR), James Paxton (132nd, 11.3 WAR), and Eddie Rosario (135th, 10.1 WAR).

But this is all hindsight and not necessarily indicative of "botching the pick".  That frame of reference needs to back in time to the draft.

Nick will blame his "situation" and the Tigers of course.

2 hours ago, Casimir said:

Simmons was the guy to draft there, but the bottom line is he is the only guy in that range of the draft that is a highly effective MLB player.

Bonus is they would not have acquired Iglesias if Simmons is in their system -> probably retain Suarez and move him to 3B.

If Jhonny does not get suspended, what does this franchise look like today?

The tigers probably win the 2013 World Series. Scherzer signs extension. Prince probably isn’t traded. Jhonny accepts arbitration. Victor walks after 2014. Nick probably stays in the outfield. He or Avi are traded for something else. Suarez plays 2B. JD probably still signs a minor league deal.

3 minutes ago, Shelton said:

The tigers probably win the 2013 World Series. Scherzer signs extension. Prince probably isn’t traded. Jhonny accepts arbitration. Victor walks after 2014. Nick probably stays in the outfield. He or Avi are traded for something else. Suarez plays 2B. JD probably still signs a minor league deal.

But most importantly there would be so much more happiness and harmony here.

2 hours ago, Casimir said:

Texas could move Mazara to LF, Gallo to 1B, and Castellano to RF which would effectively replace current 1B Ronald Guzman.

Cleveland needs to make a move now while they have Lindor.  I don't think going for a wild card spot makes sense, but they could make some rationale of it by going after Greene as well whom they could have for another season.  Plus, Castellanos comes off of the books after this season, so they aren't tied into him long term if they don't want him long term.  

Intriguing, because Guzman is pretty bad so far and I think he might have options left, but Gallo is the best outfielder they have, so I doubt they'd move him to first just to get a marginally better bat and far worse outfield D overall.

18 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Intriguing, because Guzman is pretty bad so far and I think he might have options left, but Gallo is the best outfielder they have, so I doubt they'd move him to first just to get a marginally better bat and far worse outfield D overall.

They could extend Casty and he'd move to 1st.

Sherman discussing possible Yankee trade targets. 1. Stroman 2. Bauer and

3. Matt Boyd, Tigers. There is some Paxton in there — elite strikeout rates and meh groundball percentages. The lefty was good last year and really blossomed this season and is under team control through 2022, so it would take a haul to get Boyd. But Detroit is open for business. If you are unconcerned about his lack of big games and think the strike-throwing genius of this season is real then he is worth that haul.

7 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

They could extend Casty and he'd move to 1st.

The Tigers are not handing out any long term contracts or extensions. If a trade doesn't bring back a player the quality of a comp pick, offer Nick a QO. Boras won't accept that and then Nick can sit. Make him as unhappy as possible the last couple of months to ensure he wants out. If we do get an offer, jump at it. I'm not sure who will be in RF once we're ready to start contending but that's also true at several other positions.

28 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

The Tigers are not handing out any long term contracts or extensions. If a trade doesn't bring back a player the quality of a comp pick, offer Nick a QO. Boras won't accept that and then Nick can sit. Make him as unhappy as possible the last couple of months to ensure he wants out. If we do get an offer, jump at it. I'm not sure who will be in RF once we're ready to start contending but that's also true at several other positions.

I was referring to Texas offering an extension in the trade scenario.....I'll admit I wasn't very clear.

10 hours ago, Shelton said:

I can’t look it up but I thought victor originally signed a 3 year deal, 11-13.  Then signed the extension that started in 2014. 

19 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I can’t look it up but I thought victor originally signed a 3 year deal, 11-13.  Then signed the extension that started in 2014. 

He signed 2 separate 4 year deals.   The first 1 was from 11-14 and the 2nd 15-18.   

12 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

He signed 2 separate 4 year deals.   The first 1 was from 11-14 and the 2nd 15-18.   

That second deal alone should have been enough to get Astute Al Avila fired.