Keepleyland2

6/11 @8:15 Detroit Tigers at Kansas City Royals

2 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

The mainstream still pays too much attention to pitcher wins and saves too, but  most of the internet places where I hang out (like this one) have pretty much abandoned them.  Something as simple as RA is better than ERA.  

Probably cost Verlander at least one Cy Young, arguably 2.

18 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

It's been two years. Settle down

Its no fun watching this at the MLB level, I get that.

But I guess I don't see how anyone can side on one extreme or the other as far as the rebuild and future is concerned.  It just seems too early to be conclusive one way or the other.

I watched this through the 7th, and went to bed whilst the Tigers were winning.  So I got to see winning baseball and the Tigers were able to improve their 2020 draft chances in the same game.  Not a bad night.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

When is Dave Dombrowski going to fix this bullpen???????????

If Dombrowski was running the team Mize or Manning would probably have already been turned into closers or they would be getting flipped for whatever closer is putting up impressive superficial stats at the moment.    

14 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

When is Dave Dombrowski going to fix this bullpen???????????

He promised us quality relievers.

32 minutes ago, Casimir said:

He promised us quality relievers.

I've been watching MiLB box scores a bit recently  though not really concentrating much on relievers. Still, off the top of my head I can't say I have noticed any relievers results jumping off the page. At Lakeland DeJesus has only been scored on in one of his last 10 outings (though it was 4 runs, which is still a big drag on his ERA) but I know nothing about his stuff and he is still too far away anyway. DeCaster has had good outings but they just *de*moted him. It was discussed  the other day that his stuff is suspect for MLB. Everyone else looks pretty so-so by the numbers. If there is a future relief core in the Tigers' MiLB system today it's in the form of the guys starting now that don't make the final cut as starters.

18 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

If there is a future relief core in the Tigers' MiLB system today it's in the form of the guys starting now that don't make the final cut as starters.

A high degree of probability this is true, I would calculate it but don't want to be a show off.

3 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I've been watching MiLB box scores a bit recently  though not really concentrating much on relievers. Still, off the top of my head I can't say I have noticed any relievers results jumping off the page. At Lakeland DeJesus has only been scored on in one of his last 10 outings (though it was 4 runs, which is still a big drag on his ERA) but I know nothing about his stuff and he is still too far away anyway. DeCaster has had good outings but they just *de*moted him. It was discussed  the other day that his stuff is suspect for MLB. Everyone else looks pretty so-so by the numbers. If there is a future relief core in the Tigers' MiLB system today it's in the form of the guys starting now that don't make the final cut as starters.

Bryan Garcia was well regarded before his injury. He came back recently. I don’t know if he is in Erie or Toledo right now. 

4 hours ago, Casimir said:

Its no fun watching this at the MLB level, I get that.

But I guess I don't see how anyone can side on one extreme or the other as far as the rebuild and future is concerned.  It just seems too early to be conclusive one way or the other.

If you're not an extreme knee-jerk reaction kind of guy, what are you doing in an online forum?

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Bryan Garcia was well regarded before his injury. He came back recently. I don’t know if he is in Erie or Toledo right now. 

looks like he passed through Lakeland and Erie during May, got to Toledo at the end of the month. Got hit a little in 2 of his first 3 outings which rocked his ERA and WHIP so he wasn't floating to the top of any sorts. His last two outings were clean. But TBH, I wouldn't normally expect much from a guy in at least his 1st half season coming back from TJ. We can hope he will be a lucky one.

15 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

If you're not an extreme knee-jerk reaction kind of guy, what are you doing in an online forum?

He’s just here to talk baseball hommie 

13 hours ago, tiger337 said:

The mainstream still pays too much attention to pitcher wins and saves too, but  most of the internet places where I hang out (like this one) have pretty much abandoned them.  Something as simple as RA is better than ERA.  

Max Scherzer has a 2.83 ERA, leads the Majors in FIP, and leads the National League in strikeouts, strikeout rate, and home run rate.  He has a 160 ERA+, which is 16 points better than his mark in his Cy Young season of 2016.  And he's 4-5.

1 hour ago, six-hopper said:

This question might deserve its own thread.

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

He’s just here to talk baseball hommie 

You're the guy who has talked about nuance here.  We don't need no stinking nuances!

29 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I don’t think I’m the guy you are you are thinking of:

http://www.motownsports.com/forums/search/?&q=Nuance&author=Shelton&search_and_or=or

Don't try that Jedi mind trick stuff wth me.That link shows that you have brought up "nuance" no less than five times on this board.  So yoi're not merely a nuancer, you're a serial nuancer.

1 minute ago, six-hopper said:

Don't try that Jedi mind trick stuff wth me.That link shows that you have brought up "nuance" no less than six times on this board.  So yoi're not merely a nuancer, you're a serial nuancer.

I can’t help myself. 

5 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

Don't try that Jedi mind trick stuff wth me.That link shows that you have brought up "nuance" no less than five times on this board.  So yoi're not merely a nuancer, you're a serial nuancer.

those weren't the nuances you were looking for.

9 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

Your ratio would be higher.  We're talking 5/32,736 posts vs 2/1,045 posts.  Ain't even close.

3 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Your ratio would be higher.  We're talking 5/32,736 posts vs 2/1,045 posts.  Ain't even close.

Get outta here with your nuanced take on nuanced posting.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

A high degree of probability this is true, I would calculate it but don't want to be a show off.

If a guy profiles as a dominant relief pitcher his development should include lots more innings than these guys normally get in the minors. Joe Jimenez, for instance, pitched a total of 147 innings over five years in the minors. For comparison, Spencer Turnbull pitched 578 innings, giving him 4 times more exposure to professional hitters than Jimenez got. It's idiotic to limit a guy like Jimenez to 50 innings a year just because he profiles as a closer/reliever. He needs to face as many batters as possible during his development. Organizations should identify 2-3 guys per affiliate who definitely have the potential to start and make the rest pitch 3-5 innings per stint. Who cares about roles or wins and losses. The minors are about general development and should be treated as such. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/11/2019 at 2:00 PM, LooseGoose said:

How much did you win wagering that the Twins would go from 59 wins to the WC game in one season?   Then they went back to stinking....and are now dominating the AL Central.

I see people all over the intertubez making firm statements team records 2-3 years into the future and yet I don't recall any of the above being predicted.

I built a nice den with paneling and a 54 inch flat screen TV from funds I got winning a bet on Obamacare being upheld at the US Supreme Court by a score of 5 to 4. Thank you John Roberts.

It is true that odd things do happen, but the Tigers have no proven ready to use pieces to build a future on right now. Turnbull might be the only exception to the above statement. Most teams one will see coming before they arrive. I don't see anything to change my thinking that 2023 will be the year the Tigers return to the playoffs.

On 6/12/2019 at 2:28 PM, SeattleMike said:

If a guy profiles as a dominant relief pitcher his development should include lots more innings than these guys normally get in the minors. Joe Jimenez, for instance, pitched a total of 147 innings over five years in the minors. For comparison, Spencer Turnbull pitched 578 innings, giving him 4 times more exposure to professional hitters than Jimenez got. It's idiotic to limit a guy like Jimenez to 50 innings a year just because he profiles as a closer/reliever. He needs to face as many batters as possible during his development. Organizations should identify 2-3 guys per affiliate who definitely have the potential to start and make the rest pitch 3-5 innings per stint. Who cares about roles or wins and losses. The minors are about general development and should be treated as such. 

I agree, no pitcher that a team is serious about should be working relief in the minors before maybe AAA (well unless he has some kind of physical limitation or something....) . Zumaya was another case of a relief guy with hundreds of innings starting in the minors to hone his command before he faced MLB hitters. I did a little survey a while back and IIRC the majority of the game's top 20 relievers were converted starters.