Keepleyland2

6/11 @8:15 Detroit Tigers at Kansas City Royals

15 minutes ago, HeyAbbott said:

Better get some steel in our spines. We will suck in 2020 and in 2021. I am guessing  roughly .500 team in 2022.

How much did you win wagering that the Twins would go from 59 wins to the WC game in one season?   Then they went back to stinking....and are now dominating the AL Central.

I see people all over the intertubez making firm statements team records 2-3 years into the future and yet I don't recall any of the above being predicted.

10 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

How much did you win wagering that the Twins would go from 59 wins to the WC game in one season?   Then they went back to stinking....and are now dominating the AL Central.

I see people all over the intertubez making firm statements team records 2-3 years into the future and yet I don't recall any of the above being predicted.

This is true. The addition of a handful of new players and some career seasons from others can lead to a strange synergy that produces something as unlikely as 2006. 

EDIT — See what you did to me? Stop it!

55 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

The thing that worries me is that none of my four children are fans or really even enjoy the game even though they all went through T-ball voluntarily before losing interest.  None of them of course had even an index finger’s worth of talent, but neither did I and that didn’t stop me. 

It’s not like taking them to local minor-league baseball games would do it  when they’ve had three different parent clubs in the last 20 years. 

Taking them to one of the cathedrals of the game is where something lasting occurs.  Miss out on that at a tender age and it could never occur. They might end up thinking that football is their favorite show. 

Multiply this thing that is not happening many times over and a real dent is made in the trans-generational knit of cultural identification with the team. 

I agree with you that this is a huge issue for 'Baseball' in general, I don't see it as a particular issue for the Tigers. The system today is rigged so that all teams are going to cycle periodically. The  costs to keep good players is prohibitive and the advantages to bad teams in acquiring new players are too high, with regard to not only the amatuer draft but the waiver wire and rule 5 as well. Oddly enough, the system is no guarantee a team is going to get good enough to win anything, but it does insure that teams are motivated to get bad as a route to getting better. But I think fans of the sport can deal with that - especially today when for a few bucks a month you watch any team you take a fancy to if your local team sucks.

No surprise here - but I believe the problem for baseball is lack of kids playing the game, I don't think the quality of the local ML team has anything but the most tenuous connection to that. I believe that the popularity of a sport is driven by two things - it's spectacle level, and the whether the viewer has vicarious identification to the players - which is the direct line to whether they ever played the game at any level. For Football, the spectacle aspect of the game play is accessible to anyone without regard to whether they ever broke a tackle or made one. But baseball has the lowest spectacle quotient of the major sports. It most depends on viewers who have synapses still programmed with the muscle memory of swinging a bat, who know that weird horrible rattle up the arm from fouling off a pitch on a cold day, who know the rush of intersecting the flight of a baseball in fight to make a catch at a full run as the distant echo of a primordial species memory passed down from Neanderthal hunters catching a bird in hand. The lack of that is killing the game and will continue to regardless of who goes to the next dozen World Series.

My son doesn't give two ****s about baseball.  He might watch teh college world series now that Michigan is in it.

We went to one of the better sports apparel stores at Great Lakes Crossing, with the nice retro stuff.  They had a Michigan baseball jersey with "Larkin" on the back.  He thought it was Dylan.

For him sports is all about Michigan football/basketball and teh NBA and NFL.

27 minutes ago, Oblong said:

My son doesn't give two ****s about baseball.  He might watch teh college world series now that Michigan is in it.

We went to one of the better sports apparel stores at Great Lakes Crossing, with the nice retro stuff.  They had a Michigan baseball jersey with "Larkin" on the back.  He thought it was Dylan.

My 5 year old grandson has watched more baseball with me than my 3 sons.  My son in law watches occasionally.   Even though my Dad and I were avid fans and they went to games with us as kids, none of them caught the bug.  I've always attributed it to them not being sports fans in general.   One son is only a big Lions fan, the other 2 don't care about any sports at all.

8 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

My 5 year old grandson has watched more baseball with me than my 3 sons.  My son in law watches occasionally.   Even though my Dad and I were avid fans and they went to games with us as kids, none of them caught the bug.  I've always attributed it to them not being sports fans in general.   One son is only a big Lions fan, the other 2 don't care about any sports at all.

I am actually OK with being in a cultural cul-de-sac with baseball. When the last boomer dies off they can bury professional baseball with her.

Tigers lineup: 

SS Niko Goodrum

LF Christin Stewart

RF Nicholas Castellanos

DH Miguel Cabrera

3B Brandon Dixon

2B Harold Castro

1B John Hicks

C Grayson Greiner

CF JaCoby Jones

P Spencer Turnbull

50 minutes ago, Oblong said:

My son is sports obsessed and is playing or practicing baseball four times a week right now. I am not displeased. 

Of course, he wants to be a pro basketball player. He’s very worried he won’t be tall enough. 

27 minutes ago, Shelton said:

My son is sports obsessed and is playing or practicing baseball four times a week right now. I am not displeased. 

Of course, he wants to be a pro basketball player. He’s very worried he won’t be tall enough. 

Support his goals!   Buy him an inversion table to stretch him out and lots of raw Jersey milk to drink.

2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I agree with you that this is a huge issue for 'Baseball' in general, I don't see it as a particular issue for the Tigers. The system today is rigged so that all teams are going to cycle periodically. The  costs to keep good players is prohibitive and the advantages to bad teams in acquiring new players are too high, with regard to not only the amatuer draft but the waiver wire and rule 5 as well. Oddly enough, the system is no guarantee a team is going to get good enough to win anything, but it does insure that teams are motivated to get bad as a route to getting better. But I think fans of the sport can deal with that - especially today when for a few bucks a month you watch any team you take a fancy to if your local team sucks.

No surprise here - but I believe the problem for baseball is lack of kids playing the game, I don't think the quality of the local ML team has anything but the most tenuous connection to that. I believe that the popularity of a sport is driven by two things - it's spectacle level, and the whether the viewer has vicarious identification to the players - which is the direct line to whether they ever played the game at any level. For Football, the spectacle aspect of the game play is accessible to anyone without regard to whether they ever broke a tackle or made one. But baseball has the lowest spectacle quotient of the major sports. It most depends on viewers who have synapses still programmed with the muscle memory of swinging a bat, who know that weird horrible rattle up the arm from fouling off a pitch on a cold day, who know the rush of intersecting the flight of a baseball in fight to make a catch at a full run as the distant echo of a primordial species memory passed down from Neanderthal hunters catching a bird in hand. The lack of that is killing the game and will continue to regardless of who goes to the next dozen World Series.

There is something about swinging a wooden bat and feeling the momentum racing up your legs and through your solar plexus and down your arms and through the barrel of the bat right to the Sweet Spot where the ball hits the bat.  The sense of being perfectly synchronized and powerful is utterly amazing and by hit or miss even a crappy player will experience that feeling every now and again. 

So I agree with you about playing the game. I have tried to explain the game and it is a difficult game to explain without putting someone to sleep. The only way to really understand the game is to have played it. And that takes a patience not too many have. 

But the game also needs people who are in the seats solely because they identify with the power and the success of a team that makes them feel powerful and successful. Right now this team is not connecting with those young people and there aren’t enough youth leagues around to make up for it. 

Even though I played baseball and it was actually the sport I was best at I think it was the sport I followed the least as a kid.  It was all about football and basketball for me but then when I got a little older I guess I started to appreciate baseball more cause now it's probably the sport that I follow the closest.    I'm guessing a big part of that is the Tigers starting to become good when I was in my mid 20s.  

About a month ago my son took our oldest grandson to see the A’s play the Angels. At four years old, he’s hooked. I really enjoyed hearing that.

I grew up as a radio and newspaper fan, so it was always about the stats for me.  I played the game and was pretty good (not great) as a kid.  I started out playing pick up games with neighborhood kids and then played Little League and Senior Little League (the equivalent of Babe Ruth League).  I played it frequently , but it was always for fun. I was never into the mechanics of baseball or any of the inside baseball stuff, although I knew the rules better than most kids.  So, I have not changed too much in that respect.  

• Thanks 1

We haven’t had a TV in the house for more than 10 years and I love it. I listen to MLB and MiLB on the apps and TuneIn. I still love holding a newspaper and fighting with folding it to suit me when I go to another section. I’m in the dead center of the Baby Boomer window and I am happy. I love the game of baseball. I/we are a dying breed.

That foul ball off the mask of Greiner went over the net and landed about 20 rows behind the plate. I think I’d feel just a little guilty for taking that one home as a souvenir.

7 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Nice folks. 

You won’t even find a nicer group of folks dressed in identical blue and white outfits in Stepford, Connecticut. 

Miguel may be right about calls going against him, but he's got to stop giving away the rest of the AB after a bad strike call or something like what just happened.