Keepleyland2

6/7 Minnesota Twins vs Detroit Tigers

6 hours ago, Champ79' said:

The Tito bat flip..legendary.

I was just about to post this - the Tito bat flip was pretty flamboyant for baseball in '77.

7 hours ago, Champ79' said:

The Tito bat flip..legendary.

I practiced that bat flip for hours!!

Wow, look at those stats.  Tito was really awful for someone who was so well-known.  That was a very high-profile Giants team that he was starting for in his rookie year.

► On acquiring help for the major league roster, given the injuries to the pitching staff and infield:

“We’re always looking to outside the organization to improve the club; however at this time of  year, it’s real difficult. You’re always looking at ways, but you’re never going to make a huge impact like that right now. Our focus is getting guys back healthy.

“With the team we have right now, we stay the course and give opportunity to young players. Our whole focus is to give opportunities to young players and see who will be our next star players.”

Avila said pitchers Jordan Zimmermann (right elbow UCL sprain) and Tyson Ross (right ulnar nerve neuritis) are on schedule to pitch in the next “few weeks.”

►On Triple-A pitching prospects Kyle Funkhouser and Beau Burrows, both recovering from injuries:

“Funkhouser is back on the mound, he pitched for Lakeland and (pitched) well. We’ll give him one outing in Erie and after that, if all goes well, we’ll bump him up to Toledo, and following right behind him is Beau Burrows. My hope is those two guys get back to Toledo doing what they’re supposed to be, and capable of, doing and if that’s the case, we’ll probably see those two guys, at some point, in the major-league level later in the summer. That is our hope; that’s what we’re looking for.”

►On the struggles of infielder Jeimer Candelario (left shoulder inflammation), who was demoted to Toledo last month for a period of time:

“Jeimer is still young enough where there’s still optimism he can become the player he can become. He’s still young enough to do that. However, anytime a player struggles,  you do get concerned. The injury here, obviously, is not great. But it opens up an opportunity for (Dawel) Lugo to play more often. One of the guys we have that people don’t talk about is Brandon Dixon, who is having a great year. We’re very happy with what he’s done. Right now, we are giving opportunities and guys that will take advantage of it will rise.”

57 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

Wow, look at those stats.  Tito was really awful for someone who was so well-known.  That was a very high-profile Giants team that he was starting for in his rookie year.

He wasn't known as a great fielder either, but he was a good number two hitter.  He was a second baseman who didn't strike out much and was a good bunter.  Ron Gardenhire would have loved him.  

11 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I , for one, am glad to hear Jeimer can become the player he can become.

He could even become a boat. 

2 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Ron Gardenhire would have loved him.  

Oh ..Gardy would have him batting clean-up.

Was able to sell my tickets again.... had to pass this exciting opportunity to be one of 7,000 people at the game.  

My son graduates HS tonight.  I remember on the previous version of this website announcing his birth 18 1/2 years ago.

I've known some of you a very long time.

• Like 3

Tito was know for saying something along these lines after getting hit by pitch: "They better be careful. I've got 5 or 6 kids."

Chris Ilitch does not have a timeline for the Tigers rebuild.

"To predict a time frame, you're asking the wrong guy. That's a better question for Al."

Chris Ilitch said it’s his job to actively monitor and make sure there’s progress in the Tigers plan. If there isn’t, then it would be time for change. 

He said he is impressed with the progress and believes in Al Avila and Ron Gardenhire

Break out the checkbook pal. This is America, hard work is for chumps, buy your way out. 

Illitch says he’s seeing progress as the year progresses. I wish he would point out exactly where he’s seeing the progress. Apparently I’m missing something.

25 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Illitch says he’s seeing progress as the year progresses. I wish he would point out exactly where he’s seeing the progress. Apparently I’m missing something.

They intended for the team to be much worse than it’s turned out to be. So this is progress. 

4 hours ago, Oblong said:

Was able to sell my tickets again.... had to pass this exciting opportunity to be one of 7,000 people at the game.  

My son graduates HS tonight.  I remember on the previous version of this website announcing his birth 18 1/2 years ago.

This means you're old.

31 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Considering the injuries I think they've done well to have the record they do, so that's a form of progress.   The injuries have opened the door to getting some of the kids extended looks, sifting through them to look for keepers is a fine use of playing time for this year.  

Perhaps he was looking more at the MiLB levels?   I certainly don't think there has been regression.

4 hours ago, Oblong said:

Congrats!   Empty nest now or more to come?

I wish I knew how the Twins had gone from being a team that “plays the game the right way“ which is a way of saying they get the job done but they’re not flashy, to hitting tons of homeruns.