six-hopper

We're Number 30!

regardless of long balls, the fightin Lloyd's further ensconced themselves into 29th with 4 big runs tonight, while the fighttin fish got shut out again.  Those guys are awful, they would NEVER beat the Tigers 

The Rockies and Padres played what looked like softball tonight, with the Padres winning 16-12.  That is 28 runs.  Our mighty Lloyd's, even with 9 runs in a game have scored a total  of 27 runs in their past 9 games. 

The Tigers are mostly comprised of aaaa talent. Hard to blame Lloyd imho. Their best offensive player this year is arguably Dixon - a guy the Reds let go and they've lost at least 94 games 4 years running. 

22 hours ago, DumberAndLeaner said:

I heard a rumor the other day that Warren Buffet is negotiating to buy the Tigers and move them to Omaha.

Their all--time record is not very good there.  I don't think the ballpark suits them.

Just now, six-hopper said:

Their all--time record is not very good there.  I don't think the ballpark suits them.

And if you thought MrI was impatient to win.....Buffett is 88 and Charlie Munger is 95 (though I think Munger would stay away from the Tigers as an investment).

On 6/14/2019 at 3:46 PM, LooseGoose said:

All the girls love Hopper ......... 

Right,  All the girls stick together.  

2 hours ago, six-hopper said:

We might be # 29 or #30 on offense, but overall we play like #2  🚾

3 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

We're Number 30 again!

Woo hoo!

So you're saying there's a chance for another celebration if we can scratch our way to #29 again?

They said on the broadcast today that only the Royals have more triples than the Tigers.  Hey, there's something, right?

4 hours ago, Casimir said:

They said on the broadcast today that only the Royals have more triples than the Tigers.  Hey, there's something, right?

meh - Kaufmann and CoPa both consistently rank among the best parks for triples, CoPa usually a bit better even. Considering the Royals' speed and park they should lead that stat. I would also note that is only AL. The Royals lead the majors(26) but there are  3 NL clubs tied with or ahead of the Tigers(18).

Tigers are last in all of baseball in runs scored again.

And in the AL, the gap is widening, they have 239 runs scored, the next two closest are now Toronto at 280 and Baltimore at 284.  The Twins have 417 at the top, a whopping 178 more runs already, at this pace, they would score about 400 more runs than the Tigers at the years end, close to 2.5 more runs a game.  That is huge, and i wonder if it may not be one of the biggest discrepancies between high and low in a long time.

In home runs, the Tigers have 59, the Royals are next with 70, and then the next closest team has 81.  The Twins have 137, which more than doubles the Tigers.

Those are some ugly numbers, and those are just the periphery stats, the ones like OPS, OPS+, RISP, RISP with 2 outs are just as horrific (dont have time to look those up)

........and all along I thought they were really good.   Somehow this lack of offense got right past me.

Compiling stats and calculating metrics for a team as bad as the Tigers are, is a fools errand. They flat out suck, and the organizational strategy is so dedicated to "cheap and controllable" that they don't care to get better.

My bet is that they will lose a generation of fans before  they decide to do anything material to get better.

34 minutes ago, DumberAndLeaner said:

and the organizational strategy is so dedicated to "cheap and controllable" that they don't care to get better.

lol....as evidenced in the recent past by paying Miggy, JV, JZ, VMart, Prince...and this offseason overpaying Ross, Mercer, Harrison, etc......I'm convinced you're on to something.

At least AA has been transparent about his plan and is following it. But I still think Chris I. will have to open his wallet when the starting pitching studs are in the rotation to add some FA bats

On 6/17/2019 at 12:49 AM, Gehringer_2 said:

meh - Kaufmann and CoPa both consistently rank among the best parks for triples, CoPa usually a bit better even. Considering the Royals' speed and park they should lead that stat. I would also note that is only AL. The Royals lead the majors(26) but there are  3 NL clubs tied with or ahead of the Tigers(18).

You're killin' me, G.

12 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

lol....as evidenced in the recent past by paying Miggy, JV, JZ, VMart, Prince...and this offseason overpaying Ross, Mercer, Harrison, etc......I'm convinced you're on to something.

I'm not sure how Harrison was an overpay.  $2M to be a place holder on a rebuilding team?

Honestly, I understand none of the 4 signed this offseason were awe inspiring, but I think they were deals that had merit at the time.

47 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I'm not sure how Harrison was an overpay.  $2M to be a place holder on a rebuilding team?

Honestly, I understand none of the 4 signed this offseason were awe inspiring, but I think they were deals that had merit at the time.

Maybe not truly an overpay but an organization focused solely on $$ would have used a MLB minimum player.

15 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Maybe not truly an overpay but an organization focused solely on $$ would have used a MLB minimum player.

I think for Ross and Moore they were hoping to go the Fiers route.  Bide some time early in the season if not the whole season while the young arms were developing in the minors.  Maybe Ross and Moore could get flipped for lottery tickets.

Probably the same with Mercer.  Didn't want to peg Goodrum down to one position.  Clearly Rodriguez isn't a SS.  Beckham doesn't quite have the arm to do it everyday.  Neither Castro was ready.

I mean, you can say none of them should have been offered $2M, but then Ross, Moore, and Mercer become more attractive / palatable to other teams at $2M.

1 hour ago, LooseGoose said:

They could probably have picked someone at random out of the stands in Lakeland, paid him or her the minimum, and gotten at least as much production as they're getting out of Harrison.  I mean, he's no Jordy Mercer.

10 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

They could probably ave picked someone at random out of the stands in Lakeland, paid him or her the minimum, and gotten at least as much production as they're getting out of Harrison.  I mean, he's no Jordy Mercer.

........or Gary Sutherland.