six-hopper

How about that Michigan baseball team in the Sweet 16!

Love college baseball. My Cardinal took a tough L today in the first game of the Super Regional. Would be good to see M take down those nobodies from LA.

Michigan beat UCLA 4-2 in Game 3 to advance to the College World Series for the first time in 35 years.

• Like 2

Kiezer puts the tying runs in scoring position in the 9th before getting the 3rd out. Henry goes 7 inning for the win.

10 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Michigan beat UCLA 4-2 in Game 3 to advance to the College World Series for the first time in 35 years.

Yep.  And to show just how much the college baseball world is dominated by teams from the South and West, in that 35 years only one other Big Ten team -- Indiana in 2013 -- has made it to the College World Series.   And as the CWS is effectively the Elite Eight of college baseball, the fact that so few Northern and Midwestern teams can make it even that far is telling.  So it's a very big deal that Michigan has made it, and beat the Number One ranked team in the country on its home field to do it. 

Yeah that stat about the big 10 surprised me.  I of course knew baseball was dominated by Southern teams but I thought atleast some big 10 teams would have good enough seasons to make the final 8 here and there but obviously that wasn't the case.  

So a College World Series, a Frozen Four and a basketball NCAA title game within the past 15  months. If the football team makes the playoff this year all will be groovy.

Still in the Winners' bracket after a spectacular pitching performance by Tommy Henry.  Just one win away from the Finals.

The last time a team that was not from the South or the West won it all was 1964.

Well done Michigan going to the Championship round!

13 hours ago, ROMAD1 said:

Well done Michigan going to the Championship round!

Pretty cool stuff. I can’t wait to lose another championship final. It’s gonna be great. 

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

Pretty cool stuff. I can’t wait to lose another championship final. It’s gonna be great. 

I'm picking up on your sarcasm.

On 6/22/2019 at 7:36 AM, Shelton said:

Lets hope this year and team is different.  

One down!  That was amazing.  Good job!

College baseball is weird.  Michigan brings in tomorrow night's starting pitcher to close out the game.

31 minutes ago, sagnam said:

College baseball is weird.  Michigan brings in tomorrow night's starting pitcher to close out the game.

in the MLB playoffs you occasionally see a starter work as a reliever on the day he was going to throw anyway but IIRC (and may not) that is usually 2 days before a start.

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

in the MLB playoffs you occasionally see a starter work as a reliever on the day he was going to throw anyway but IIRC (and may not) that is usually 2 days before a start.

They may not start Criswell on Tuesday night, but rather they may try to piece it together with a bunch of bullpen arms, and have Criswell in for end of the game if it is close one way or another.

Or, like in the UCLA series, they can just roll him out there and let him go until he is gassed, which if they were to lose would leave it all on Kaufman's shoulders on Wednesday.

It is going to be interesting regardless

26 minutes ago, kj2018 said:

They may not start Criswell on Tuesday night, but rather they may try to piece it together with a bunch of bullpen arms, and have Criswell in for end of the game if it is close one way or another.

Or, like in the UCLA series, they can just roll him out there and let him go until he is gassed, which if they were to lose would leave it all on Kaufman's shoulders on Wednesday.

It is going to be interesting regardless

I don't have the count but he didn't throw many game pitches. The bigger question was the one the guys in the booth posed which was how much and how hard he was throwing in pen. I wasn't listening that closely to the broadcast but I got the impression he had been up and down more than once, but obviously no-one knows what %  he was warming to but him.

4 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I don't have the count but he didn't throw many game pitches. The bigger question was the one the guys in the booth posed which was how much and how hard he was throwing in pen. I wasn't listening that closely to the broadcast but I got the impression he had been up and down more than once, but obviously no-one knows what %  he was warming to but him.

I was not impressed with the quality of announcing from the booth. Ravech was particularly poor. Not sure if he called it the yankee game or not, though. 

2 hours ago, Shelton said:

I was not impressed with the quality of announcing from the booth. Ravech was particularly poor. Not sure if he called it the yankee game or not, though. 

They did all apparently miss the most decisive replay of the 8th inning play at first. And more stupid remotes. A producer should be horse whipped with his own head set every time a HR is hit while a bubblehead is on camera talking to someone in the stands. 

Also notable that the Vanderbilt uni is a winner In the World Series of ugly.

26 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Pics, pls

I guess if you like earth tone minimalism.....

test.thumb.jpg.d1100a77f6c501a5230affcdd2bce1de.jpg