Motor City Sonics

When will Mize go to Toledo and will you be there?

I have a feeling it's going to be after the All Star break,  like maybe 3-4 more starts at Erie.    At this point, he has nothing much to prove at that level. 

And, if I can get a ticket, I will be there.   You know that'll be  a sellout.    

7 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I have a feeling it's going to be after the All Star break,  like maybe 3-4 more starts at Erie.    At this point, he has nothing much to prove at that level. 

he's not proving much there now other than he is better than AA hitters --  but going to Toledo will help get him acclimated to playing on a losing team.

Yes. I suppose all ball players have faced adversity, but in general the best have always been the best and reckoning with a situation where they have reached a ceiling and they have to figure out how to break through that ceiling or they’re on a team that always struggles has got to be something new.  

Yes, I am going.  And I am taking the U8 softball team and telling them to copy everything that Mize does.  That way I don't have to coach pitching.

• Like 1

Okay, so the Futures Game is July 7th.   I think he probably pitches 1 or 2 innings there.   I am betting the Tigers would rather have him make a AAA debut on the road to avoid the possible circus.    Friday July 12th at Louisville is when I think he'll make his AAA debut, and with an expected four days off that means he could be starting his first game in Toledo right around Wednesday July 17th.   That's my prediction.  

43 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

he's not proving much there now other than he is better than AA hitters --  but going to Toledo will help get him acclimated to playing on a losing team.

I think with AAA there are more hitters who have been in the majors and even though they are not good enough for the big leagues, they do have some experience and may be a little more challenging to Mize.  I would expect AAA hitters to take more pitches.  

26 minutes ago, leflore said:

And when does Manning follow? 

When Mize allows it.

Mize and Manning will go together.  In a rented Tahoe.  They’ll listen to the Show Tunes channel on SIRIUSXM the entire way, and will never speak of it again. They will only stop to fill up for gas and split nachos and cheese from the Speedway.

Oh, and it It will be a Thursday.

• Like 1

Yeah, wake me up when Manning is promoted. 

5 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Not so sure it will be a sellout. Depends on how many fans come down from Mich. Toledo fans are not baseball savvy.  They'll show up for a Verlander game, yeah.  But in general, they don't follow baseball much. Too bad...

But Toledo hockey fans are good hockey fans. Toledo (sorry Columbus) considers itself Ohio's hockey city. And I'm OK with that.

Don't forget, the Tigers had a pitcher that was basically unhittable at every level. A sure thing. Uh-huh, he's still pretty good but needed seasoning at the MLB level. 

Joe Jiménez

2 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Don't forget, the Tigers had a pitcher that was basically unhittable at every level. A sure thing. Uh-huh, he's still pretty good but needed seasoning at the MLB level. 

Joe Jiménez

So was Joel Zumaya. He was great immediately. 

Also, Jimenez was not a sure thing. That was concocted by the fans who scouted his statistics. People who watched him questioned his ability to get MLB hitters out. 

I'm just not sure what point you're trying to make. 

2 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Also, Jimenez was not a sure thing. That was concocted by the fans who scouted his statistics. People who watched him questioned his ability to get MLB hitters out. 

I'm just not sure what point you're trying to make. 

I'm trying to say don't put too much pressure on the kid. Let him develop. With high expectations comes greater disappointment. I say that if does make it to Toledo this season,  have him finish the season there. I'm not sure if the Tigers have an inning limit on him or not. And even a little bit of failure isn't the end of the world. Just look up Verlander's 2005 ML starts. Not too impressive.

16 minutes ago, Yoda said:

I always wondered whether if he had not been converted to relief and pitched a little less at max-effort if he would have held together longer. So many wrong turns possible in baseball.

1 hour ago, Yoda said:

Yeah, wake me up when Manning is promoted. 

I’m a big fan of Matt Manning. You’ve probably never heard of him. 

29 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I always wondered whether if he had not been converted to relief and pitched a little less at max-effort if he would have held together longer. So many wrong turns possible in baseball.

Same. Probably still would have, but as a starter he seemed much more calm and relaxed, not so hyped. But then his BB-rate was the same as a starter so maybe I just didn't notice it. 

27 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Same. Probably still would have, but as a starter he seemed much more calm and relaxed, not so hyped. But then his BB-rate was the same as a starter so maybe I just didn't notice it. 

The problem is that great ML pitchers have at least 4 quality pitches. Most pitchers with 2 quality pitches find themselves in the bullpen. And I don't think any Tiger fan will underestimate the importance of having some good arms in the BP. I still have my Zoom Zoom 103 MPH tee-shirt. : )

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Mize and Manning will go together.  In a rented Tahoe.  They’ll listen to the Show Tunes channel on SIRIUSXM the entire way, and will never speak of it again. They will only stop to fill up for gas and split nachos and cheese from the Speedway.

Oh, and it It will be a Thursday.

That sounds like one of my normal roadtrips

8 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

The problem is that great ML pitchers have at least 4 quality pitches. Most pitchers with 2 quality pitches find themselves in the bullpen. And I don't think any Tiger fan will underestimate the importance of having some good arms in the BP. I still have my Zoom Zoom 103 MPH tee-shirt. : )

I think 4 quality pitches is a bit of a myth. Most don't have 4 that are quality.  Most have 2 quality pitches and one or two "show me" pitches, and that's just fine. But obviously the more quality pitches you have, the better your chances. I agree with the rest. Zoom didn't really have much of a 3rd, but he was young enough to develop one. Mize is a year older than Zumaya was his rookie season. But who knows what would have happened. 

Max is a 3-pitch guy. JV was a 3 pitch guy his first 5 or so years. 

30 minutes ago, Yoda said:

I think 4 quality pitches is a bit of a myth. Most don't have 4 that are quality.  Most have 2 quality pitches and one or two "show me" pitches, and that's just fine. But obviously the more quality pitches you have, the better your chances. I agree with the rest. Zoom didn't really have much of a 3rd, but he was young enough to develop one. Mize is a year older than Zumaya was his rookie season. But who knows what would have happened. 

Max is a 3-pitch guy. JV was a 3 pitch guy his first 5 or so years. 

Zumaya had fastball and curve, and he had a great change up that he just didn't use much as a reliever, but on a few occasions when he was he was going to be out there longer (I remember in particular in a extra innings game in MN when he was asked to go a few innings and he came out throwing a very good change-up in that outing. Plus some guys throw a fairly different FB to left handers than to right handers, so that can almost be two.

Also note that JV has pretty much abandoned the change-up again. But again, JV throws his FB with so much variety that it counts as multiple pitches.

Also, his 4-seamer moved like a 2-seamer, so that should count for two pitches. Wishful thinking maybe but I'll take it.