bobrob2004

Fire Ron Gardenhire

Just now, holygoat said:

Then why do you care who's manager?

I want there to be some accountability. When someone promises something and doesn't deliver, he should be fired. Gardenhire promised no sloppy baseball. He should be fired. 

6 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

I want there to be some accountability. When someone promises something and doesn't deliver, he should be fired. Gardenhire promised no sloppy baseball. He should be fired. 

LOL- and before he said that Avila probably promised him that the plan was that since they couldn't afford good hitters during the  rebuild he would find him players that could at least run well and play good defense.

the truth is that they are doing exactly what they said they would do and I'm sure management is perfectly happy with Gardenhire Tanking always sounds great in the off-season or for some other team. It's a lot tougher to watch your own team execute the strategy.

7 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

Ronny Rodriguez has been working on his game for over 20 years. He'd be a completely different player if Gardy would just insist on it, dammit!

7 minutes ago, Longgone said:

Ronny Rodriguez has been working on his game for over 20 years. He'd be a completely different player if Gardy would just insist on it, dammit!

Whoa, hold on.  How do we know Gardenhire didn't insist on Rockhandsez making the play?  Perhaps he was yelling at him, but because of the distance from the dugout to the field and the crowd noise, the message simply wasn't able to be heard?

13 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I disagree somewhat with your premise. There is a difference between sloppy and inept. You have to be able to make a play before you can fail to make it because you are sloppy. Iglesias tended toward sloppy or at least lack of discipline,, note that he is gone. These guys are mostly inept. A manager can deal with the 1st, not the second.

Not only that, sloppy play, or even a prevalence of sloppy play does not necessarily mean the coach doesn't care about it or isn't working towards eliminating it.

In the end the players have to make the plays.  It seems pretty unlikely, to me at least, that Gardenhire just doesn't give a **** or the players don't try to do better.  It seems much more likely the players are what they are, are doing the best that they can, and Ron doesn't have a magic fundamentals wand to wave away sloppy play.

8 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

Maybe he has delivered.  Maybe they would be much more sloppy under another manager.

He should get an extension.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tigrrfan said:

This so-called 'rebuild' will not get any better if they fire Gardenhire now.   Not a single player on the current 25-man roster will still be here when the Tigers compete for a Championship again.  

That's right! They will all be in their 60's.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tigrrfan said:

Ron Gardenhire's Tigers are only 3 games behind Brad Ausmus' Angels.

Tiger have allowed 5.35 Runs per Game .. Angels have allowed 5.08 Runs per Game. 

Tigers have scored 3.40 Runs per Game ..Angels have scored 4.74 Runs per Game.

Tigers Runs Scored vs Runs Allowed differential per game = -1.95

Angels Runs Scored vs Runs Allowed Differential per game = -0.34

Tigers record is 19-32 (with one suspended game still outstanding.)  Based upon Runs Scored vs Runs Allowed, their Pythagorean Expectation should be 3 1/2 games worse at 16-36.

Angels record is 24-29.   Based upon Runs Scored vs Runs Allowed, their Pythagorean Expectation should be 1 game better better at 25-28.

Considering those statistics ..and also considering what both Ron and Brad have to work with ..it appears that Ron is out managing Brad by at least 4 1/2 games to this point in the season.

Wooooooot

15 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

Another day, another loss, another day of sloppy baseball. What happened to playing fundamental baseball?  "The Tigers may suck, but at least Gardenhire will have then playing the right way."  That's what I was told. Well, when is that going to happen?  Because it sure as heck hasn't happened yet. 

This team is a mess. Errors on routine plays, getting thrown out on the bases. Overall, sloppy, sloppy baseball.  This team was set up to lose, I get it. But Gardenhire was suppose to teach these guys the fundamentals. All he keeps saying in interviews is, "you just can't do that."  Well, do something about it!  Gardenhire is not doing what he was hired to do. He has failed. When that happens, you get fired. Gardenhire needs to be fired. Yesterday. 

This is on our general manager. Al has 365 days left.

3 hours ago, Longgone said:

Ronny Rodriguez is batting .136/.145/.254 in his last 62 PA.  Why is he playing everyday, let alone playing out of position?

3 hours ago, iholly said:

That's right! They will all be in their 60's.

The players on this team are future answers to trivia questions. : )

13 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

Then why even bother playing the games?  Just forfeit until 2021. 

In a manner of speaking, that's what they're doing now.

12 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

Can someone explain to me why Gardenhire is here if teaching the fundamentals isn't important?  Why Gardenhire and not Ausmus?  Or any other random former player?

What was the point in getting an experienced manager?  

It was for the fans.

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

It was for the fans.

to give the fans someone to blame before they turn their wrath on the general manager.

44 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Because they don't have a better option and you generally don't base decisions on just 62 AB?

Ronny Rodriguez is the only player that can play SS on this team?  Upper management has handcuffed him that much?

Also, if they don't base decisions on small samples, then they wouldn't have sent Candelario down to AAA.  You can't have different rules for different players.

1 minute ago, bobrob2004 said:

Ronny Rodriguez is the only player that can play SS on this team?  Upper management has handcuffed him that much?

Also, if they don't base decisions on small samples, then they wouldn't have sent Candelario down to AAA.  You can't have different rules for different players.

You actually can have different rules for different players. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Shelton said:

You actually can have different rules for different players. 

Then what makes their situations so different?  Why the different rules?  You can't say it's unreasonable for me to say that they should not play Rodriguez because of poor performance when they did exactly that with Candelario.  

Maybe we are reliving 1975.  We are a year or so from adding some cornerstone pieces from the farm.  Then we hire Dave Roberts in a few years once the Dodgers fire him for only winning a few championships.  It could happen.

2 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

They didn’t have a lot of options for major league shortstop at the start of the season. But they did have Mercer as the primary guy. They also kept Beckham, who isn’t a great SS. Niko is also an option but not a great one. 

But when Mercer gets hurt, what do you do? Ronny was fine as a band aid, but no one considers him a long term solution. Mercer did return, but at that time Harrison was still hurt, so Ronny stays. Mercer went back on the IL before Harrison came back, so again Ronny stays. 

Of course, it’s been over a month now of consistent at bats for him. In that time, a guy like Willi Castro has played well in AAA. Ronny has opened the door, but maybe Mercer is expected back soon. Not a lot of sense in bringing Willi up for a short term stint.

6 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Then what makes their situations so different?  Why the different rules?  You can't say it's unreasonable for me to say that they should not play Rodriguez because of poor performance when they did exactly that with Candelario.  

I can say whatever I want. 

As for the difference, Candelario is considered a future asset. Ronny is not. You make different decisions based on what is best for the development of a future asset. 

Candelario is also a 3B, and they had a guy in Lugo who is already on the 40 man that was playing well in Toledo. That’s an easy switch to make. 

Calling up Willi to take Ronny’s spot is different. For one thing, they might not think Willi is ready. For another, they may not want to make 40 man changes for a short term solution.

that said, if you want to give the job to Willi, that’s fine.  

But the situations for different players/positions are inherently different and it is unreasonable to expect different players to be treated exactly the same. 

3 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I can say whatever I want. 

As for the difference, Candelario is considered a future asset. Ronny is not. You make different decisions based on what is best for the development of a future asset. 

Candelario is also a 3B, and they had a guy in Lugo who is already on the 40 man that was playing well in Toledo. That’s an easy switch to make. 

Calling up Willi to take Ronny’s spot is different. For one thing, they might not think Willi is ready. For another, they may not want to make 40 man changes for a short term solution.

that said, if you want to give the job to Willi, that’s fine.  

But the situations for different players/positions are inherently different and it is unreasonable to expect different players to be treated exactly the same. 

I never said anything about bringing someone up from AAA. I never even said anything about sending Rodriguez back to AAA. I just think that given his poor performance recently warrants less playing time.  Gardenhire is the one that makes up the lineup. Rodriguez isn't the only player on the 25 man roster that he can put at SS.  

I don't want this team to just go through the motions. This year doesn't matter, so who cares. That's not the attitude they should have. If you're not going to utilize Gardenhire's experience, get rid of him.  

22 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

I never said anything about bringing someone up from AAA. I never even said anything about sending Rodriguez back to AAA. I just think that given his poor performance recently warrants less playing time.  Gardenhire is the one that makes up the lineup. Rodriguez isn't the only player on the 25 man roster that he can put at SS.  

I don't want this team to just go through the motions. This year doesn't matter, so who cares. That's not the attitude they should have. If you're not going to utilize Gardenhire's experience, get rid of him.  

bobrob .. you actually sound a bit bitter.  Are you still feeling miffed that so many folks wanted Brad fired during his last 2 1/2 seasons (he never was fired!) ..and/or that they did not rehire Brad after his own 64-98 season in his 4th year as manager with much more talent than Ron had during last year's 64-98 record?

Your suggestion to fire Gardenhire based upon unacceptably sloppy fundamental baseball may have some merit ..but who in the world are you going to hire to replace Ron?  It is likely that any new manager probably is not going to improve whatever it is that causes these current fundamentally inept players from performing so poorly.

Moreover, why pay 2 managers for a team with so many inept players?  What possible good could come out of it?  More likely ..firing Ron and hiring somebody new would just add more misery to the already hodge-podge cast of characters running this team.

25 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

How about they really do want to give Rodriguez as much rope as they can to prove what he can do before they cut him loose because he does have potential HR power, which they need desperately,  and the truth is a couple games one way or the other really do not matter this year. Without searching I'm going to guess if they DFA RR he will be a free agent.

As to why Gardenhire, maybe because he is the guy they want there when the Mizes, Rogers, and Camerons start to show up. The managing is far, far down the list of reasons this team doesn't win more now.

In fact, I have to say looking back over the past three seasons, that they were bad in '17 and I found myself constantly wondering WTF the manager was doing. The last two years they have been bad and I almost never scratch my head wondering what Gardenhire is doing.

Avila is the source of all bad.

Ron Gardenhose is the point man for the abuse.

The Tigers suck.