bobrob2004

Fire Ron Gardenhire

1 minute ago, 1776 said:

Can you imagine Billy Martin taking over this club house? That would be worth a pair of season tickets.

Matt Boyd could pitch 20 consecutive CG to finish the season.  

3 hours ago, Shelton said:

What a great idea for a thread

I thought we should hold off until June, but okay.

18 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

<-------- miss me yet?

What do you mean?  You're hear everyday posting a game thread and adding a picture of a former Tiger that nobody has ever heard of.

7 minutes ago, Casimir said:

What do you mean?  You're hear everyday posting a game thread and adding a picture of a former Tiger that nobody has ever heard of.

you don't have a Kevin Collins jersey?

3 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

you don't have a Kevin Collins jersey?

No.  But I have a Dave Collins shirsey.

Gardenhire was handed a one-way ticket and told to drive this team straight to he||. Now, when he is almost half way there, some guy is complaining about the in-flight movie?

• Like 1

Ron Gardenhire's Tigers are only 3 games behind Brad Ausmus' Angels.

Tiger have allowed 5.35 Runs per Game .. Angels have allowed 5.08 Runs per Game. 

Tigers have scored 3.40 Runs per Game ..Angels have scored 4.74 Runs per Game.

Tigers Runs Scored vs Runs Allowed differential per game = -1.95

Angels Runs Scored vs Runs Allowed Differential per game = -0.34

Tigers record is 19-32 (with one suspended game still outstanding.)  Based upon Runs Scored vs Runs Allowed, their Pythagorean Expectation should be 3 1/2 games worse at 16-36.

Angels record is 24-29.   Based upon Runs Scored vs Runs Allowed, their Pythagorean Expectation should be 1 game better better at 25-28.

Considering those statistics ..and also considering what both Ron and Brad have to work with ..it appears that Ron is out managing Brad by at least 4 1/2 games to this point in the season.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Um,  No. 

Who's the best manager in the history of baseball.     He'd win 70 games with this team - tops.    

Just chill.  This is the bottom-out year.   It's next year when some of these pitchers start coming up into regular roles on this team.  If we don't see some improvement next year, then maybe we start talking about Gardy.   But right now,  this ain't on him. 

A big part of what happens next year is what exactly Avila does with the last few chips he has at this year's deadline

Remember - the target year for the big next step towards contention is 2021, maybe 2022.    

We just have to deal with the slog this year.    

It's 75 and Sunny with a wonderful breeze and it's a holiday.   Relax, man.  

Correct. As for teaching "these" guys the fundamentals? Why bother? The only one on this team who will be called on to help lead us forward Is Stewart, maybe. I can't see any other players on the team that are young enough or talented enough to be around by next year. Surely not here in 2021.

4 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Um,  No. 

Who's the best manager in the history of baseball.     He'd win 70 games with this team - tops.    

Just chill.  This is the bottom-out year.   It's next year when some of these pitchers start coming up into regular roles on this team.  If we don't see some improvement next year, then maybe we start talking about Gardy.   But right now,  this ain't on him. 

A big part of what happens next year is what exactly Avila does with the last few chips he has at this year's deadline

Remember - the target year for the big next step towards contention is 2021, maybe 2022.    

We just have to deal with the slog this year.    

It's 75 and Sunny with a wonderful breeze and it's a holiday.   Relax, man.  

But even if we accept (or assume) that Illadvisedhire is just a placeholder for someone else who will manage the team if and when it becomes capable of contending, shouldn't we expect that the team Illy  turns over will have guys who at least know how to play the game correctly in the "fundamentals" sense even if they don't have the talent to play it well?

I can certainly see Bobrob's point:  this team shows no indication that it is being managed or coached at anything like a Major League level, if at all.  Bad baseball  due to lack of talent doesn't have to be stupid baseball.  But Tiger baseball is currently both.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Correct. As for teaching "these" guys the fundamentals? Why bother? The only one on this team who will be called on to help lead us forward Is Stewart, maybe. I can't see any other players on the team that are young enough or talented enough to be around by next year. Surely not here in 2021.

Then why even bother playing the games?  Just forfeit until 2021. 

22 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I agree that Stewart, Candelario, and maybe - if improbably this last couple of week's light stays on for Jones, are at most the only starters in this group of hitters with any likelihood to be here for more than a season or two. OTOH, in Goodrum, Dixon, Hicks/Greiner they may already have the *bench* of the future. Backassward way to build your team, but there you are....xD

13 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Then why even bother playing the games?  Just forfeit until 2021. 

Ok I think you are getting it now.

This so-called 'rebuild' will not get any better if they fire Gardenhire now.   Not a single player on the current 25-man roster will still be here when the Tigers compete for a Championship again.  

Just now, Tigrrfan said:

Not a single player on the current 25-man roster will still be alive when the Tigers compete for a Championship again.  

More accurately stated.

• Haha 1

Sounds like a great plan ..fire Gardenhire and forfeit the rest of the season. 

Or better yet ..maybe AA could negotiate the swap of the century and trade Ron to the Angels for Brad!

LOL.

Can someone explain to me why Gardenhire is here if teaching the fundamentals isn't important?  Why Gardenhire and not Ausmus?  Or any other random former player?

What was the point in getting an experienced manager?  

5 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Can someone explain to me why Gardenhire is here if teaching the fundamentals isn't important?  Why Gardenhire and not Ausmus?  Or any other random former player?

What if I told you that these players just aren't very  good?

9 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Tigers were playing much better fundamental defensive baseball with Candelario Mercer and Harrison  around the diamond to start the season. Problem is two of those guys didn't hit and the third got hurt (not that he hit either....). There isn't much left you can teach a 27 MiLB journeyman like Rodriguez that someone hasn't already tried more than once. If there were managers that could make guys better hitters, there'd be skippers out there pulling down 9 figure salaries.

2 minutes ago, holygoat said:

What if I told you that these players just aren't very  good?

I know they are not good.  That has nothing to do with this conversation. 

1 minute ago, bobrob2004 said:

I know they are not good.  That has nothing to do with this conversation. 

Actually it has a lot to do with it

1 minute ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Actually it has a lot to do with it

Then you are not paying attention. I know another manager is not going to magically make this team win. I'm talking about this team playing sloppy. Gardenhire's entire reputation was that he doesn't tolerate sloppy baseball. If that's the case, then why hasn't he been fired yet?  

If none of these players are going to be here when this team competes again and fundamentals don't matter, why keep Gardenhire around?  What can he do that Ausmus couldn't do (or any other random former player)?  

4 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Then you are not paying attention. I know another manager is not going to magically make this team win. I'm talking about this team playing sloppy. Gardenhire's entire reputation was that he doesn't tolerate sloppy baseball. If that's the case, then why hasn't he been fired yet?  

If none of these players are going to be here when this team competes again and fundamentals don't matter, why keep Gardenhire around?  What can he do that Ausmus couldn't do (or any other random former player)?  

I disagree somewhat with your premise. There is a difference between sloppy and inept. You have to be able to make a play before you can fail to make it because you are sloppy. Iglesias tended toward sloppy or at least lack of discipline,, note that he is gone. These guys are mostly inept. A manager can deal with the 1st, not the second.

5 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

Then why do you care who's manager?