bobrob2004

Fire Ron Gardenhire

Another day, another loss, another day of sloppy baseball. What happened to playing fundamental baseball?  "The Tigers may suck, but at least Gardenhire will have then playing the right way."  That's what I was told. Well, when is that going to happen?  Because it sure as heck hasn't happened yet. 

This team is a mess. Errors on routine plays, getting thrown out on the bases. Overall, sloppy, sloppy baseball.  This team was set up to lose, I get it. But Gardenhire was suppose to teach these guys the fundamentals. All he keeps saying in interviews is, "you just can't do that."  Well, do something about it!  Gardenhire is not doing what he was hired to do. He has failed. When that happens, you get fired. Gardenhire needs to be fired. Yesterday. 

• Like 1

Um,  No. 

Who's the best manager in the history of baseball.     He'd win 70 games with this team - tops.    

Just chill.  This is the bottom-out year.   It's next year when some of these pitchers start coming up into regular roles on this team.  If we don't see some improvement next year, then maybe we start talking about Gardy.   But right now,  this ain't on him. 

A big part of what happens next year is what exactly Avila does with the last few chips he has at this year's deadline

Remember - the target year for the big next step towards contention is 2021, maybe 2022.    

We just have to deal with the slog this year.    

It's 75 and Sunny with a wonderful breeze and it's a holiday.   Relax, man.  

3 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Um,  No. 

Who's the best manager in the history of baseball.     He'd win 70 games with this team - tops.    

Just chill.  This is the bottom-out year.   It's next year when some of these pitchers start coming up into regular roles on this team.  If we don't see some improvement next year, then maybe we start talking about Gardy.   But right now,  this ain't on him. 

A big part of what happens next year is what exactly Avila does with the last few chips he has at this year's deadline

Remember - the target year for the big next step towards contention is 2021, maybe 2022.    

We just have to deal with the slog this year.    

It's 75 and Sunny with a wonderful breeze and it's a holiday.   Relax, man.  

It's not about winning. It's about the basics, the fundamentals. Gardenhire isn't doing what he was hired to do. So, fire him.  

• Like 1

I totally get your drift. I think the problem goes beyond Gardy. I believe Avila and Illitch are fine with the state of things. They have given him garbage to manage. I think he has absolutely zero input on who comes and who goes. He knows he’s there to do what he can against the greatest of odds. He probably is safer than any other MLB manager out there for the reason you pointed out, this team is built to lose. 

I think Gardenhire deserves a raise, having to put up with this crap.

Might start a thread for this.

• Like 3

I can’t believe none of us had yet considered that improving this team was as easy as putting on your ruby slippers, clicking your heals and saying there’s no place like home over and over again. Oh, you have to wear a dress too. 

pretty hard to blame Gardenhire for the mess on the IF. Mercer and Kozma are the only two non prospects SS available, one is hurt and the FO is not willing to pull the plug on the RR experiment and call up Kozma. I'd rather at least see them play Beckham there. He doesn't have the arm to make a lot of the plays but at least he doesn't boot balls and can turn a DP. But yes, the bottom line is that the win total is not very high on the management's list of objectives this year. In the cold light of January that is clearly the best course - when you have to actually watch the team play it's hard not to want to waver from the plan.

9 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

I can’t believe none of us had yet considered that improving this team was as easy as putting on your ruby slippers, clicking your heals and saying there’s no place like home over and over again. Oh, you have to wear a dress too. 

IDK about the blue gingham jumper, but I have considered growing out what hair I have left so I could have pig-tails, but the SO keeps saying no.

Gardenhire is this generation's Ralph Houk.....he stays until the rebuild is semi done

I'm good with firing Avila as the rebuild will be actually possible then

I like Gardy. His speciality is handling young pitchers. And I always liked his style of 'get the ball and throw quickly and throw strikes'..the abomination that is the non pitching roster is not his doing but the stupid strategy of the front office of not getting a few decent major league players to blend with the kids. Yeah, Avila wanted to get rid of Nick C and Cabrera. I dont blame him but you have to get some bargain basement good hitters to add to this terrible linen-up. He has failed badly in that area.

2 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Who is going to be this generation's Les Moss?

He'll get hired instead of this generation's Young Jim Leyland.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Who is going to be this generation's Les Moss?

Who is going to be this generation’s Sparky Anderson?

When you have good pitchers, then you can handle a pitching staff.

How about Gardy or the organization makes it clear that this type of play is not going to be tolerated.  I would either sit Ronny for the next 3-4 games, or even send him back down.  He was the only hitter for a while on the team, but now he is mired in an awful stretch, something like 4-48 with about 20 + strikeouts, and his D is beyond brutal.  He alone has cost the team about 10 runs on D the past two weeks.  

14 minutes ago, kj2018 said:

How about Gardy or the organization makes it clear that this type of play is not going to be tolerated.  I would either sit Ronny for the next 3-4 games, or even send him back down.  He was the only hitter for a while on the team, but now he is mired in an awful stretch, something like 4-48 with about 20 + strikeouts, and his D is beyond brutal.  He alone has cost the team about 10 runs on D the past two weeks.  

You can beat on RR all you want - you are not going to make him into a MLB shortstop. Despite his brain freeze today, in general his errors are skill limit errors - I'm sure that is part of the reason he has been stuck in the minors for 6 years. Ronnie is career minor leaguer who got just a little stronger at 26 and started to show a little power and Avila took a flyer on a bat that might be flashing some upside. I don't question that move, but I do question not cutting bait on it at this point.

3 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

You can beat on RR all you want - you are not going to make him into a MLB shortstop. Despite his brain freeze today, in general his errors are skill limit errors - I'm sure that is part of the reason he has been stuck in the minors for 6 years. Ronnie is career minor leaguer who got just a little stronger at 26 and started to show a little power and Avila took a flyer on a bat that might be flashing some upside. I don't question that move, but I do question not cutting bait on it at this point.

Agreed.  They need to cut Harrison/Mercer if they need to cut anyone, but they need those two for the tank, and nothing else.

Players are bad, MLB manager isn't going to magically fix that

But I'd fire him anyway because why not

636441337794982623-Tigers-Ron-Gardenhire

"This team's play is unacceptable. We are cutting Ronny Rodriguez today!!! (empty gesture)

Team proceeds to lose 10 in a row nobody cares.

Can you imagine Billy Martin taking over this club house? That would be worth a pair of season tickets.

1 hour ago, IdahoBert said:

9019E5CB-588E-492E-B03B-74232A22A1A4.png.707b5bb275678afe933c7ad7d2d0d6a6.png

A man without a cause.