cruzer1

2019 MLB Draft thread

45 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I will read about Walden before I read Waldon.  

I have that t-shirt

• Like 1

another consideration that could really disrupt things is if a top-4 picking team selects a player that will accept a below slot bonus, freeing up dollars for other rounds.  Might push a player or two down to us that we weren't expecting to be there.

I'll be curious to see if that happens. The top 5 or 6 players seem too good to pass up... especially, when AZ has so much more money than anyone, making it hard to count on another really good prospect slipping to spend that cash savings on. 

• Like 1

Also, all this Riley Greene talk reminded me of two of the hottest draft prospects of 2013... Clint Frazier and Austin Meadows. Frazier maybe seems a bit closer to Greene.. a for sure corner guy without much speed. Meadows was seen as corner guy too, but he at least did have speed. 

Anyway, Frazier went 5th overall. Meadows went 9th. 

Both are finally having an impact in the big leagues this year. Both look like really nice players going forward. It only took 6 years...

22 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

I want Vaughn...

Andy Vaughn looks great in a box score.  It exudes power.  

I'd like to see as much exude in the Tigers future lineup as possible...

Vaughn would be a great start...

1 hour ago, irvink said:

Also, all this Riley Greene talk reminded me of two of the hottest draft prospects of 2013... Clint Frazier and Austin Meadows. Frazier maybe seems a bit closer to Greene.. a for sure corner guy without much speed. Meadows was seen as corner guy too, but he at least did have speed. 

Both are finally having an impact in the big leagues this year. Both look like really nice players going forward. It only took 6 years...

Both Frazier and Meadows are faster and much better athletes than Greene. Greene has a better hit tool, however, at the same stage.

1 hour ago, Longgone said:

Both Frazier and Meadows are faster and much better athletes than Greene. Greene has a better hit tool, however, at the same stage.

Meadows also missed a lot of time to injury, he would have been up sooner.

17 minutes ago, TigerNation said:

Meadows also missed a lot of time to injury, he would have been up sooner.

Meh...I'm not so sure. He was always highly touted, that's despite never putting up an ops above .9 outside of rookie ball. 

1 hour ago, leflore said:

Interesting article on Vaugn and taking a 1Bman top 5 pick

https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2019/5/30/18645138/mlb-draft-andrew-vaughn-first-baseman-cal

Great article. Shows why Vaughn is so risky. It is not that he won't hit; all assume he will, it is that he needs to hit so much better than Bleday or Bishop or even Greene to have the same value.

If he hits somewhere between Goldschmidt and Pujols we're good.

I do understand that's asking quite a lot however...

If the Astros or Yankees passed on Vaughn, it would be seen as insightful; I don't think AA will get, nor does he deserve, much deference if he passes on Vaughn.

1 hour ago, RatkoVarda said:

If the Astros or Yankees passed on Vaughn, it would be seen as insightful; I don't think AA will get, nor does he deserve, much deference if he passes on Vaughn.

I know its cool to crap on Avila, but really what has he done that has been so terrible? There tear down didn't take too long, draft seems OK/too early to tell, the trades got what the market bared. Sure every GM is going to have misses, but what has he done that gets him this treatment?

1 hour ago, Keepleyland2 said:

I know its cool to crap on Avila, but really what has he done that has been so terrible? There tear down didn't take too long, draft seems OK/too early to tell, the trades got what the market bared. Sure every GM is going to have misses, but what has he done that gets him this treatment?

Really?

I think AA has been ok. While shedding payroll he's had to do with low budget signings of unwanted players and guys off of the aaa scrap heap. These players have included Hicks, Goodrum, Martin (who netted Castro), Dixon, Beckham etc. Some of them look like they might stick past the rebuild. Look at the roster. It's a wonder they are 22-32 imho.

15 hours ago, irvink said:

In 6 years we will have no pitching. 

11 hours ago, irvink said:

They both look like really good hitters. But I'd rather wait 2 or 3 years, than 6. 

39 minutes ago, Tim Mitchell said:

They both look like really good hitters. But I'd rather wait 2 or 3 years, than 6. 

I'd rather get a hitter with some positional value; Bleday, Greene, Abrams, Bishop, rather than Vaughn. I don't think you'd have to wait that long for Greene.

Here’s a bit of a cautionary tale with high school hitters.  Nick Plummer was a highly regarded prep OF at Brother Rice high school.  I was able to see him play one game—he effortlessly cleared the CF fence in his first AB, and never saw a decent pitch the rest of the game.  Here was a pre-draft write-up:

http://highschoolsports.mlive.com/news/article/6900411315827467039/brother-rice-senior-outfielder-nick-plummer-has-high-mlb-draft-potential-with-strong-bat-athleticism/

He slipped a bit in the actual draft, going to the Cardinals with the #23 pick in the first round.

Here is a link to his career stats.  He’s had some injury issues, but his performance when healthy has been anemic.  If he hadn’t been drafted so high, he would have surely been cut by now.  Age 22 in High A ball:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=plumme000nic

Not saying this would happen with Greene, but with the 5th pick, I would rather we mitigate the risk with a college bat, if there is one when we pick.

Of course, if we draft Greene and he turns into a Bryce Harper-type, I reserve the right to change my mind.