cruzer1

2019 MLB Draft thread

Detroit signs Detroit draft pick.  Yawn.  BFD.  I want to see a headline where Detroit signs someone else's draft pick.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, apabruce said:

It looks like the top pickers are all the same teams, except Toronto is joining the party.  Don't any of these rebuilds succeed in rebuilding?

They're just being very thorough.

6 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

My son graduates high school, so he is draft eligible.

Mine, too.  Switch-hitting 2B.  

55875756-F372-488C-A2EA-57C98216BCEF.jpeg

BCABBD32-CA08-4D9B-BD93-AFA67C2B39F0.jpeg

882D2BFE-241D-442A-ABF3-D95D57B4F054.jpeg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, apabruce said:
There will be 8 teams in the College World Series after 2 elimination games today.  The following draft choices will be involved and not able to sign until their team is eliminated next week.

Michigan - #33 Jimmy Kerr

Texas Tech - #11 John McMillon

Arkansas - #8 Jack Kenley

Mississippi - #6 Cooper Johnson and #22 Cole Zabowski

North Carolina - #9 Austin Bergner

Those last 3 schools are in elimination games today.

After today's elimination games, you can scratch North Carolina and Mississippi from the list.

10 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Shelton can coach him up.

6 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

Detroit signs Detroit draft pick.  Yawn.  BFD.  I want to see a headline where Detroit signs someone else's draft pick.

BREAKING: heard from a scout that Tigers will Trade Nick Castellanos, who will no longer play for Detroit. In turn, they'll receive a future Tiger who will become a member of the Detroit organization that plays in Detroit. #tigers #MotorOn #moron #motorboat 

8 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Looks like a nice swing and good defensive form and he's wearing a bit of dirt.  But his socks ain't high enough.

10 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Does he have wheels?  Is he gritty?  Does he rarely strike out?

I am thinking he may be one of those rare middle infielders that can hit at the top of the order.

11 hours ago, apabruce said:

After today's elimination games, you can scratch North Carolina and Mississippi from the list.

As a side note, the Tigers actually drafted another player not noted above out of UNC. Luca Dalatri, a pitcher, was picked in the 40th round. Interesting story. He finished his junior year this year. The last two years he has missed the majority of both seasons with an arm issue and recently had surgery in Minnesota to address a hip issue that has bothered him since before he arrived at Carolina. His freshman year he was outstanding. At the start of 2018 he was the Friday starter before his health became a factor. He actually started a game in last years College WS. I don’t know what his intentions are. He’s a big kid with a lot of talent but hasn’t been able to stay on the field. If he’s healthy, he is a much much better pitcher than Tiger draftee Austin Bergner. Bergner was up and down this season but finished strong. I would guess Dalatri comes back for his senior year to prove his worth toward the draft next year. All about his health at this point.

Legend has it the kid from Woodhaven is still waiting by his phone for a text from his advisor.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 1776 said:

As a side note, the Tigers actually drafted another player not noted above out of UNC. Luca Dalatri, a pitcher, was picked in the 40th round. Interesting story. He finished his junior year this year. The last two years he has missed the majority of both seasons with an arm issue and recently had surgery in Minnesota to address a hip issue that has bothered him since before he arrived at Carolina. His freshman year he was outstanding. At the start of 2018 he was the Friday starter before his health became a factor. He actually started a game in last years College WS. I don’t know what his intentions are. He’s a big kid with a lot of talent but hasn’t been able to stay on the field. If he’s healthy, he is a much much better pitcher than Tiger draftee Austin Bergner. Bergner was up and down this season but finished strong. I would guess Dalatri comes back for his senior year to prove his worth toward the draft next year. All about his health at this point.

Well, he would have no leverage as a senior, even if he has a good year. Look at what really good seniors have been getting. Better to get full $125,000 now, and get pro medical and training.

CanTig hasn't been posting much to this forum, but he is still active on TigsTown's forums.

Draft signings 
Official signings 1 Riley Greene, 2 Nick Quintana 
Twitter accounts that they are in the Tigers Organization 
26 RP Brendan White 
28 CF Connor Perry 
30 3B Cordell Dunn Jr

3rd Round 3B Andre Lipcuis 
10th Round 1B Jake Holton 
12th round SS Corey Joyce 
16th Round OF Kona Quiggle

57 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Kona Quiggle? He needs to make the show even more than Funkhouser does.

A shoo-in for the All-Name team.

2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Kona Quiggle? He needs to make the show even more than Funkhouser does.

Shut your mouth

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

That emphatically stated, Kona Quiggle also needs to make the show.

Having Quiggle, Quintana, Funkhouser and Deatherage on the same team would be pretty sweet.

I'm not familiar with Jeff Ellis, but he's saying nice things about the Tigers draft.

9 minutes ago, apabruce said:

I'm not familiar with Jeff Ellis, but he's saying nice things about the Tigers draft.

appears to be an Indians guy.

9 minutes ago, apabruce said:

Well clearly Jeff is very bright and knows what he is talking about

I got to see a few play in the cws. Cooper Johnson is a solid catcher. Jack Kenley has good pop (saw him hit 3-run homer) in a small frame, similar to Tommy LaStella. Kreidler has a good frame and played a decent ss.

Looking forward to watching John McMillon play against Michigan this weekend. I've seen Tech a couple of times this year in passing, but I haven't noticed McMillon.

More signings reported by CanTig:

Draft Choices Signed 
18th Rd RF Jared Mang 
19th Rd LF Kerry Carpenter 
23th Rd 1B Griffen Dey 
24th Rd RHP Michael Bienlien 
26th Rd RHP Brendan White

According to his twitter account 34th Rd RHP Sam Kessler has signed.