Jump to content

cruzer1

2019 MLB Draft thread

Recommended Posts

According to BA's Top 500 draft prospects, this is a pretty deep draft for SS's and outfielders.  Not a good draft for pitchers, but there are a few catchers available, besides the dude at the top of the draft.  I think it's a good draft for the Tigers to hit their needs while drafting for value.  I think if they draft Andrew Vaughn, then their draft will probably be more college heavy, since I would think that Vaughn would get a pretty high bonus and might take over slot.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/rankings/2019-top-mlb-draft-prospects/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know much about the draft.  But I hope that Vaughn is taken before the 5th.  I just don't know about taking a likely DH that high in the draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Casimir said:

I don't know much about the draft.  But I hope that Vaughn is taken before the 5th.  I just don't know about taking a likely DH that high in the draft.

He can play a passable 1B from what I’ve read.  Anything that helps push Cabby to DH quicker, the better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Casimir said:

  I just don't know about taking a likely DH that high in the draft.

Look he's not the same, but concerns about the defense is what led many to believe Schwarber would fall down the board. Instead the Cubs took him at 4 and that worked out OK. 

If he can hit, he can hit. Worry about defense. At pick 5, and with this draft, you're not going to get a 5-tool players (most likely.) You're either gonna get someone like Vaughn or your gonna get a Bobby Higginson/J.D. Drew type outfielder where they do a lot of things good, but nothing great.

Either or those would be great for our minor leagues which is devoid of competent offense.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Look he's not the same, but concerns about the defense is what led many to believe Schwarber would fall down the board. Instead the Cubs took him at 4 and that worked out OK. 

If he can hit, he can hit. Worry about defense. At pick 5, and with this draft, you're not going to get a 5-tool players (most likely.) You're either gonna get someone like Vaughn or your gonna get a Bobby Higginson/J.D. Drew type outfielder where they do a lot of things good, but nothing great.

Either or those would be great for our minor leagues which id devoid of competent offense.  

I just assume get the all around type guy now and hope for a better impact player at #4 next year.  If Vaughn doesn't hit, he's absolutely nothing salvageable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Casimir said:

I just assume get the all around type guy now and hope for a better impact player at #4 next year.  If Vaughn doesn't hit, he's absolutely nothing salvageable.

And that is why I think the tigers are leaning towards the OFers. But, if they think Vaughn can hit take him because he can be a typical 3/4 hitter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I just assume get the all around type guy now and hope for a better impact player at #4 next year.  If Vaughn doesn't hit, he's absolutely nothing salvageable.

The same can be said of Bleday and Greene, who really only have hit tools, just not as advanced as Vaughn’s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

And that is why I think the tigers are leaning towards the OFers. But, if they think Vaughn can hit take him because he can be a typical 3/4 hitter. 

It just depends upon what their intel says.  All things being equal on the offense, get a glove to go with it.  Maybe Vaughn's bat makes him that much valuable than what will be left to pick from, I don't know.  From what I have heard it sounds the drop off is before 5, so who knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think there's much of an if with Vaughn.  He's going to hit.  He's a pretty safe bet, imo.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just pick the future hall of famer.  That's all I ask.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Casimir said:

It just depends upon what their intel says.  All things being equal on the offense, get a glove to go with it.  Maybe Vaughn's bat makes him that much valuable than what will be left to pick from, I don't know.  From what I have heard it sounds the drop off is before 5, so who knows.

The drop off (according to Fangraphs) is after one, then again after 6.  The obvious top 6 in the draft are Adley, Witt, Abrams, Vaughn, Bleday, and Greene.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

The drop off (according to Fangraphs) is after one, then again after 6.  The obvious top 6 in the draft are Adley, Witt, Abrams, Vaughn, Bleday, and Greene.

so the sleepers in this draft really are asleep?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

so the sleepers in this draft really are asleep?

The sleeper in this draft is Minnesota LHP Ryan Sleeper.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Longgone said:

The sleeper in this draft is Minnesota LHP Ryan Sleeper.

He'd be the perfect winter acquisition for the cubs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Law....in this scenario Vaughn is gone at 3...Abrams and Lodolo are picked at 6 and 7.

Quote

det.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true5. Detroit Tigers: Riley Greene, 3B, Hagerty HS (Oviedo, Florida)

I think this is Vaughn's floor, which would be a huge win for the Tigers. They're also the team that's highest on Nick Lodolo.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, kdog said:

Law....in this scenario Vaughn is gone at 3...Abrams and Lodolo are picked at 6 and 7.

 

Does Law know that Greene is a lefty?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fangraphs with a new two round mock draft has the Tigers picking Vaughn and Matt Wallner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, FG, BA and others have said and quoted evaluators whom have said, "there's a clear top 6" and a solid dropoff after that.

Just read the FG mock. The key to the Tigers landing Bleday or Vaughn is Abrams being selected ahead of them. CWS takes him in this mock

Quote

 

Vaughn is still in the mix, but Abrams is the favorite here, and people around baseball think the White Sox are deploying a different draft strategy after years of early college picks. 


 

 

The Marlins also have interest in Abrams...
 

Quote

 

Some combination of Michael Hill, Derek Jeter and Jorge Posada saw Bleday, Vaughn and Arizona State CF Hunter Bishop last week. Hill has also seen UNLV SS Bryson Stott recently. Abrams is in the mix (Jeter/Denbo are rumored to be driving that bus) but we don’t think Bishop really is. We


 

 

If the CWS go Vaughn then maybe the Marlins take Abrams and the Tigers have a shot at Bleday

If I were betting, I'd take Greene as the pick over the field.

 

Here is what pipeline has to say about Wallner:

Quote

 

Scouting grades: Hit: 45 | Power: 55 | Run: 40 | Arm: 65 | Field: 50 | Overall: 50

Originally committed to North Dakota before the Fighting Hawks disbanded their baseball program, Wallner shifted to Southern Mississippi and became the consensus national freshman of the year in 2017. He led Conference USA in homers in each of his first two seasons, totaling 35, putting him in position to become the first first-rounder in Golden Eagles history. He hasn't been as consistent at the plate or with his effort this spring, however, so he's more likely to go in the second round.

Wallner's size, strength and aggressive left-handed stroke combine to give him some of the best raw pop in the 2019 college class. He needs to prove he can handle quality velocity and may have to tone down his approach a bit, as he'll chase pitches out of the zone rather than let his prodigious power come naturally. He still draws a healthy amount of walks because pitchers are loathe to challenge him.

Primarily a center fielder in his first two years at Southern Miss, Wallner has below-average speed and moved to right field this spring. He definitely has the arm strength for right, reaching 97 mph with his fastball and complementing it with a hard slider and splitter as a reliever. Some scouts have more interest in him as a pitcher, though he hasn't taken the mound as a junior after straining his forearm in February and has made clear his desire to play regularly in pro ball.

 


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Listened to BA pod that talks a little about Vaughn and Bleday. They mentioned one of the reasons Vaughn has fallen a bit is bc he's cooled off after really hot start. Also, the rise of Bleday, who was a back of first round type at start of season. Re: Bleday, they say he's a solid corner OF. Hitting was never a question, the only question was whether he'd get to his power and those questions have been answered.

They emphasized how impressive his 26 and counting HR total is, particularly for a SCC player. And how he just keeps getting better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I love Wallner so much 

Me too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Wallner sounds like Rey Rivera, but with a lethal fastball.

Rivera was a huge reach at 57, doesn't seem to be the case with Wallner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      96,479
    • Total Posts
      2,882,051
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
×
×
  • Create New...