Keepleyland2

5/19 @1:10 Oakland Athletics vs Detroit Tigers

35 minutes ago, Champ79' said:

I would like to know the % of games the Tigers have scored under 4 runs. Seems like a ton. Now that the pitching has found its water level (at least about 5 runs a game) it's going to be tough to will wins anymore..

4 or fewer in 35 games. Not counting this one. 

EDIT: Oh, under 4.  Let me double check 

27 three-runs or under games. 61.34%. 

44 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Not that it was 100% of the difference but the Nick botch out in RF certainly didn't help things.    Keep giving good teams 4-5 outs and you'll lose every time.

+1000

3 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

4 or fewer in 35 games. Not counting this one. 

So that's 9 in 44 for 5+ runs.

For comparison, after 44 games the 2003 Tigers had accomplished the feat 10 times, but had also been shut out 9 times already.

• Like 1

Baltimore took the MLB lead in -RDIFF with -96 today when they lost by 6 runs. If today’s score holds the Tigers will stand at -91 and the Marlins at -89. The series that begins Tuesday will feature the 2nd and 3rd worse teams in -RDIFF in MLB. 

1 hour ago, Champ79' said:

I would like to know the % of games the Tigers have scored under 4 runs. Seems like a ton. Now that the pitching has found its water level (at least about 5 runs a game) it's going to be tough to will wins anymore..

coming into today, 35 out of 44 games were at 4 or less, that is 79.5% of the games.  That is awful. 5 or less is 39 out of 44, so in only 5 games out of 44 have they put up a decent amount of runs, that is 11.3 % of the games only.  For comparisons sake, the league averages 33 % of the time getting more than 5 runs, and more than 4 it is at 46.8 % for league average, compared to the Tigers 20.5% scoring more than 4 runs.

15 minutes ago, kj2018 said:

coming into today, 35 out of 44 games were at 4 or less, that is 79.5% of the games.  That is awful. so in only 5 games out of 44 have they put up a decent amount of runs, that is 11.3 % of the games only.  For comparisons sake, the league averages 33 % of the time getting more than 5 runs, and more than 4 it is at 46.8 % for league average, compared to the Tigers 20.5% scoring more than 4 runs.

Only 10 teams average more than 5 runs a game. Texas is at the top at 5.79

https://www.teamrankings.com/mlb/stat/runs-per-game

Its bittersweet to see the 84' highlights 

The game is suspended with Oakland leading 5-3. It will be resumed Sept 6th in Oakland with the Tigers batting in the bottom of the 7th.

2 minutes ago, kdog said:

The game is suspended with Oakland leading 5-3. It will be resumed Sept 6th in Oakland with the Tigers batting in the bottom of the 7th.

I can hardly wait.  

• Like 1

The Tigers will lose twice on September 6th...now the Marlins have to feel the wrath of Gardy's boys.

I wonder if they would break out of the rut if they were forced to wear of the Mother’s Day pink outfits with the socks high and swing the pink bat? Nothing else has worked yet. 

21 minutes ago, kdog said:

I'm embarrassed to ask, but why isn't this game over? Shouldn't it be rain-shortened win for Oakland? 

2 minutes ago, SeattleMike said:

I'm embarrassed to ask, but why isn't this game over? Shouldn't it be rain-shortened win for Oakland? 

It was tied at the end of the last inning - so the Tigers have to get their chance to tie or go back ahead.

3 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

It was tied at the end of the last inning - so the Tigers have to get their chance to tie or go back ahead.

Has it always been this way?

The game was tied after six innings, the A's took the lead in the top of the seventh inning, and the Tigers didn't get to bat in the bottom of the seventh, so by rule the game is suspended.   If the A's had taken the lead in the sixth and stil led after the Tigers batted in the sixth, or if the Tigers had taken the lead in the bottom of the sixth, the game would be over.  But in this situation, it can't be.

38 minutes ago, SeattleMike said:

As far as I know - yes.

24 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

The game was tied after six innings, and the A's took the lead in the top of the seventh and the Tigers didn't get to bat in the bottom of the seventh, so by rule the game is suspended.   If the A's had taken the lead in the sixth and stil led after the Tigers batted in the sixth, or if the Tigers had taken the lead in the bottom of the sixth, the game would be over.  But in this situation, it can't be.

right. This is the 'traditional' set of rules. If a game does not go 5 complete or at least 4  1/2 with the home team ahead, it is washed out. If five are complete and the game is called, the score reverts to the last complete inning and it's official. If as today, that is a tie, the game is suspended and will be completed. 

Now my memory is not clear on this at all, and I assume one of the other 'seasoned citizens' on the board will have a better memory, but I seem to remember that a for a relatively short period a number of years ago they decided to play out all rain stoppages after 5 as suspensions. I'm not clear because I think this was during the same period that they were suspending games for curfew and there were just a lot of suspended games happening. In any case, since suspended games play havoc with scheduling and pitching rotations, they have pretty much killed the curfew rule and if they were playing out rainouts they have changed it back to the 'old' rule with no suspended games other than what happened today.

2 hours ago, SeattleMike said:

Only since the millennials needed constant mollycoddling.

So the Tigers will have 9 outs to score 2 runs to tie. I wonder who will be on the team in September. I think the only player on the 25 man roster that the Tigers want to build around is Stewart. Not too many other players on the team that could be on the team in a few years. Just a bunch of future trivia answer players.

9 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

So the Tigers will have 9 outs to score 2 runs to tie. I wonder who will be on the team in September. 

I wondered the same thing when I saw the date. 

22 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

So the Tigers will have 9 outs to score 2 runs to tie. I wonder who will be on the team in September. I think the only player on the 25 man roster that the Tigers want to build around is Stewart. Not too many other players on the team that could be on the team in a few years. Just a bunch of future trivia answer players.

And Stewart will need to kick it in soon......

38 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

In September, the roster will be loaded with the bunch of future All-Stars that we get when we flip Josh Harrison and Jordy Mercer at the trade deadline.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

In September, the roster will be loaded with the bunch of future All-Stars that we get when we flip Josh Harrison and Jordy Mercer at the trade deadline.

So your prediction for our Beckham haul is rather light?

25 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

So your prediction for our Beckham haul is rather light?

Beckham's .851 OPS and 125 OPS+ show that he has turned the corner and has become too valuable to trade.  In fact, he's the cornerstone of the rebuild.