Keepleyland2

5/16 @1:10 Oakland Athletics vs Detroit Tigers

57 minutes ago, Casimir said:

It seems like if the Tigers want to do this, they should do it for end of series rather than all Thursday games. I am kind of surprised MLB doesn't have some rule in place for this.  Maybe they do and it only comes into play if the opponent has a night game on the previous day.

The White Sox opened up a 4 game series with an afternoon Thursday game earlier this season, but they had a day game at home on that Wednesday.

It's so you can get better weather with all them games in mid-May in the north. 

9 minutes ago, Shelton said:

They do have a rule in place. You can’t have a day game to open a series if the opponent had a night game the day before. 

You also have to schedule a getaway game as a day game if the opponent has a long flight to their next city. The astros are off today and play in Boston tomorrow, so last nights game was ok. The off day aspect doesn’t matter, though. If, for example, the Astros were off today and playing in Los Angeles tomorrow, it would have had to be day game yesterday. 

I knew the first bit but not the 2nd.... that's nice for the teams.  I know Baltimore got a lot of heat for never scheduling day games. 

There was a row a few years ago when the Tigers started a 4 day series with Boston on a Thursday afternoon after they played the night before.

9 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I knew the first bit but not the 2nd.... that's nice for the teams.  I know Baltimore got a lot of heat for never scheduling day games. 

There was a row a few years ago when the Tigers started a 4 day series with Boston on a Thursday afternoon after they played the night before.

Yes, the rule changed the next season. It was right after DD was fired and hired, I think. They were in Baltimore the night before Detroit. 

Under the current rules, Baltimore would still be allowed to have the night game, so the tigers would have to have their Thursday game at night. 

15 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Yes, the rule changed the next season. It was right after DD was fired and hired, I think. They were in Baltimore the night before Detroit. 

Under the current rules, Baltimore would still be allowed to have the night game, so the tigers would have to have their Thursday game at night. 

talosiannn.jpg

Please no more first inning homeruns to centerfield by the opposing team. 

Lugo's getting close to the magic 43 day mark, isn't he? Come on, pension!

My favorite Matt Olson fact...

In 2017, he hit 24 home runs...

...with two doubles.

• Like 1

By the way, could somebody beat up those guys in the orange   T-shirts behind home plate?  I’m OK with pipes and blow torches. 

Looks like another “rebuilding-style“ crowd.  Do season-ticket holders that don’t show up still count towards attendance figures? 

Turnbull is going to get a reputation for being a scary guy to face. I like it. 

1 minute ago, Walewander said:

Turnbull is going to get a reputation for being a scary guy to face. I like it. 

Turnbull, Norris & Boyd - our rotational law firm.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Turnbull, Norris & Boyd - our rotational law firm.

I think for marketing purposes it makes more sense to go with Boyd Norris & Turnbull as the firm name. Rolls off the tongue a bit better.

lord I hate that play.

Nick take us out of one inning, Gardy out of another. (well. maybe Gardy both times)

Thanks to Shep for letting us know that MLB is a different level than AAA.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Walewander said:

Lugo's getting close to the magic 43 day mark, isn't he? Come on, pension!

I still find that whole set up amazing.  1 day to lifetime health insurance, 43 days to a $34K pension.   Makes me think I should start throwing the ball around with my grandson.

2 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

lord I hate that play.

Nick take us out of one inning, Gardy out of another. (well. maybe Gardy both times)

I don’t know. Odds are Lugo is going to make an out anyway, so having Ronny standing on third doesn’t make a difference. At least on the contact play there is the chance the ball is hit softly enough or up the middle such that the run scores. You can’t wait and see where it goes.

i could go either way. 

I say this all the time and have for years, the Tigers seem to be the only team in baseball the consistently uses the "contact play."

I will ask again - as I always do - what is the strategy? Are the Tigers gambling the that a major league infielder will boot the ball? Throw it wildly? There is an extremely low chance of that happening. Even if the batter singles cleanly up the middle there is no reason for the contact play as the runner from third would score easily on such a hit.

:alien:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Ronz said:

I say this all the time and have for years, the Tigers seem to be the only team in baseball the consistently uses the "contact play."

I will ask again - as I always do - what is the strategy? The fielder will boot the ball? Throws it wildly? Even if the batter singles cleanly up the middle there is no reason for the contact play as the runner from third would score easily on such a hit.

:alien:

you are trading the chance that the ball is only a high chopper or slow roller against the OPB of the next hitter. I don't like it either.