Jump to content

Keepleyland2

5/14 @7:10 Houston Astros vs Detroit Tigers

Recommended Posts


2 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

I’m sorry to hear that. That’s a drag. 

It's the classic case of good ideas gone bad.   Had a complete system check at a very well respected shop in Grayling before leaving, new radiator, etc - mechanic decided it needed a new parking brake.   The parking brake on this chassis clamps onto the drive shaft.   Anyway we were tooling along right by the Iowa 80 truck stop and the speedo quit then started rolling smoke out the back.  Pulled over and we had a fire underneath, got the kids out and my SiL went under and put out the fire.   This was Friday early evening, after a weekend out there dealing with tow companies, insurance companies etc we drove the rental van we had home last night.

Both tow companies we used and both shops it was at agreed the mechanic here screwed up the installation of the parking brake.  The catch?   The only shop in that area that does motorhome work is closed because of the flooding for another week or two.  They promised us first in line after they re-opened.   So far it seems that between the shop up here and Progressive we're going to come out of it with no extra expense, just a major PITA and more crowds once we get out there.

Luckily my SiL is self employed so he can adjust his schedule for stuff like this - I think I was more bummed than my grandkids.  They thought the jumping out on the roadside and the weekend in a motel was a great adventure....lol...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

got done coaching my daughter's softball practice went out to car to see them down 3-0 in the first.  I felt like Kenny Rogers in the song "Ruby, don't take your love to town" given the inevitable and sad betrayal that I had no ability to stop.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Harrison is getting paid to not field and not hit.  At least I can watch something else tonight.  This could be the beginnings of the death spiral, their pitching is decimated and we all know the lineup is what it is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

It's the classic case of good ideas gone bad.   Had a complete system check at a very well respected shop in Grayling before leaving, new radiator, etc - mechanic decided it needed a new parking brake.   The parking brake on this chassis clamps onto the drive shaft.   Anyway we were tooling along right by the Iowa 80 truck stop and the speedo quit then started rolling smoke out the back.  Pulled over and we had a fire underneath, got the kids out and my SiL went under and put out the fire.   This was Friday early evening, after a weekend out there dealing with tow companies, insurance companies etc we drove the rental van we had home last night.

Both tow companies we used and both shops it was at agreed the mechanic here screwed up the installation of the parking brake.  The catch?   The only shop in that area that does motorhome work is closed because of the flooding for another week or two.  They promised us first in line after they re-opened.   So far it seems that between the shop up here and Progressive we're going to come out of it with no extra expense, just a major PITA and more crowds once we get out there.

Luckily my SiL is self employed so he can adjust his schedule for stuff like this - I think I was more bummed than my grandkids.  They thought the jumping out on the roadside and the weekend in a motel was a great adventure....lol...

 

Two years ago when my son and I went to Yellowstone we at least got all the way there but the brakes failed and we almost died and the alternator fried the electrical system.  We spent one week parked  behind a Sinclair station in the park sleeping in the back of the van, fending off skeeters, and waiting for parts to arrive. We ended up hitchhiking all over the park and having not the trip we expected but an adventure that was still memorable. We met tons of great people that loved having a chance to be helpful.  It’s one of those things that gives you faith in the human race. 

2AAB9377-41AF-4C37-81C9-741C7F4D90A0.thumb.jpeg.ecb4c82db1cceec767e7b66d1980a238.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just for comparison, in springer and Brennan’s last 11 games they have 15 home runs and 28 RBI.  

In 39 games Nick and Miggy have a combined 4 home runs and 27 RBI.  

Yikes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, IdahoBert said:

Two years ago when my son and I went to Yellowstone we at least got all the way there but the brakes failed and we almost died and the alternator fried the electrical system.  We spent one week parked  behind a Sinclair station in the park sleeping in the back of the van, fending off skeeters, and waiting for parts to arrive. We ended up hitchhiking all over the park and having not the trip we expected but an adventure that was still memorable. We met tons of great people that loved having a chance to be helpful.  It’s one of those things that gives you faith in the human race. 

Yep, everyone was helpful.   The tow companies, the people at the Iowa80, Enterprise, Progressive, the Iowa State Police - everyone.   I have no complaints and really can't be too unhappy, no one got hurt.   

If you only see the America on the news you lose faith in the country, getting out and meeting people reinforces the fact that most of the country is good people.

6-0, end 2.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kj2018 said:

Just for comparison, in springer and Brennan’s last 11 games they have 15 home runs and 28 RBI.  

In 39 games Nick and Miggy have a combined 4 home runs and 27 RBI.  

Yikes

Miggy is our Mauer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, kj2018 said:

Harrison is getting paid to not field and not hit.  At least I can watch something else tonight.  This could be the beginnings of the death spiral, their pitching is decimated and we all know the lineup is what it is. 

Amazing that they're where they are with losing 80% of their opening day rotation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ROMAD1 said:

Is there a point to this game? 

What they need is a mercy rule for this one 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

If you only see the America on the news you lose faith in the country, getting out and meeting people reinforces the fact that most of the country is good people.

6-0, end 2.

 

That’s a very wise observation. Park employees all knew who we were and when they were off duty would give us rides,  complete strangers gave us rides, the girls at the Sinclair station gave us free drinks, the mechanics bent over backwards to help us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, IdahoBert said:

the girls at the Sinclair station gave us free drinks, 

They were just trying to take advantage of you.  😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LooseGoose said:

They were just trying to take advantage of you.  😉

I’m still a head turner that’s for sure. But they were such sweet girls. Having the time of their life with other people the same age, hanging out in Yellowstone all summer with everyone in the same situation.  

One of the mechanics was from Long Island and he and his wife had quit their jobs so they could work in Yellowstone over the summer.  His wife worked the front desk in the station.  They were in their 50s.  Everyone there was having an adventure.  

The mechanic told me in a voice tinged with amazement, even reverence, how the wildlife is five times more alive at night than during the day. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gee, you guys are making me regret I drove a brand new rock solid car across the country and back last year.......

...Just kidding, no, you're not.     ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ryan Carpenter is like the sacrificial victim of the day in an Aztec temple. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gehringer_2 said:

Gee, you guys are making me regret I drove a brand new rock solid car across the country and back last year.......

...Just kidding, no, you're not.     ;)

lol, I spent 5 years on the road with my sons so I'm pretty used to these things.   If you drive enough miles it's inevitable.   My problem is that I retired early and on the cheap so I don't have the $$ for a $100K+ motorhome so in exchange I get adventures.  😉

What route did you drive?  80 or 90?   If I had to rank them for views and diversity of scenery I'd go with 90-70-80-40-10.   We used to run Michigan to the port at Long Beach every 3 weeks with loads of bikes.  In the winter I preferred 40, in the summer 80.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, IdahoBert said:

Ryan Carpenter is like the sacrificial victim of the day in an Aztec temple. 

Yeah, better to save your 'pen for piecing together a game tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I may just be a small town boy, but this game is definitely not a pizza with a bunch of bacon on it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mr. McKittrick,  after very careful consideration, sir,  I've come to the conclusion that your new starting pitcher sucks. 

 

 

I feel bad for the kid.   But at least he's getting a little MLB money........

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tyler White is an inspiration to beer league designated hitters everywhere. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...