Jump to content

six-hopper

Nick Castellanos explains why he's hitting so poorly:

Recommended Posts


2 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

Didn’t John Elway have the same kind of injury?  I have a ruptured bicep. And aside from it looking ugly, it hasn’t affected my ability to hit homeruns. 

It depends on the point of rupture.  At the proximal (shoulder end) the bicep inserts at two different points.  YOu can function and recover quickly as an athlete with just one.  In fact, the cure for a partial rupture of a proximal bicep tendon is to just cut it all the way through.

I tore the bicep at the distal end...took it completely off the bone about 10 years ago (flipping a 400lb tire that was fine where it was so I deserved it). There is only one insertion point at the distal end.  You can still bend your arm with that rupture, but pronation and supination of the hand/ wrist is vastly diminished if not wiped out altogether.  That would be very bad for a HR hitter.  The surgical fix for that injury is way more complex...if you choose to do it.  A lot of middle aged men just say "screw it" and eventually the pain and swelling diminishes and you can do most of what you did before.  Back then, my health insurance wasn't just a Cadillac plan, it was a Cadillac parked on the deck of the Queen Mary so I had the surgery because I was still pretty active athletically.  Now...I'm 10 years older, less active and less insured...i'd prolly say "screw it" too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Casimir said:

Hold on.  Are you saying he's taken great care of himself during his career?  Has he just been wearing a baggy jersey?  Come on.....

 

I'm saying his been overweight most of his career. It's not as if he suddenly put on 40 lbs this year. I don't know for sure but I'd wager he's a similar weight to 2010-2013 seasons. His weight likely isn't the issue. The post I was a adressing made it sound like his numbers are down because of his "eating fast food". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can get away with extra weight easier in your 20s than in your 30s.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lei, just had this same surgery 3 weeks ago, along with repairing two complete tears of the rotator cuff....recovery is miserable. When does it become less painful?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Warning Track Power said:

Lei, just had this same surgery 3 weeks ago, along with repairing two complete tears of the rotator cuff....recovery is miserable. When does it become less painful?

At the bank cashing large checks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2019 at 10:08 AM, tiger337 said:

You can get away with extra weight easier in your 20s than in your 30s.   

right, each negative factor decreases the likelihood of succeeding. WRT hitting, Miguel is not heavy enough for his weight to be a factor standing at the plate per se, but it is a factor in staying healthy enough to go stand at the plate and have everything work right from day to day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

right, each negative factor decreases the likelihood of succeeding. WRT hitting, Miguel is not heavy enough for his weight to be a factor standing at the plate per se, but it is a factor in staying healthy enough to go stand at the plate and have everything work right from day to day.

I'm sure it had a lot to do with his bicep last year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Yoda said:

I'm sure it had a lot to do with his bicep last year. 

I get the impression just from his own instagram, that the one thing Miguel does is a lot of weight work. A tendon rupture can be a one-of congenital flaw or else could be some combination of repetitive stress and hyper muscle development. The last two can certainly be come by in the weight room. The body weight is a bigger issue with the chronic back and ankle problems he has/had ('17) and now apparently he has a dodgy knee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2019 at 4:21 AM, Warning Track Power said:

Lei, just had this same surgery 3 weeks ago, along with repairing two complete tears of the rotator cuff....recovery is miserable. When does it become less painful?

 

I had a really rough first week or so...but it got better after that.  I tend to heal like a freak though...and I didn't have any shoulder issues.  Good luck!!  my injury healed well, but I was really patient with it...which was extremely hard for me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2019 at 12:11 PM, Nastradamus said:

, Cabrera isn't in the top 50 percentiles for amount of work he puts in behind the scenes. 

It's actually kinda funny considering he was reported to have insulted a fan in a Detroit bar several years ago, for being fat/out of shape.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2019 at 12:54 PM, bobrob2004 said:

.

He put up Hall of Fame numbers so he got a lot of free passes.  But now that he is hitting has gone south, no more free passes.  The guy is a jerk.  Always has been.  

That's a pretty fair assessment, I don't know if I would use the work "jerk" or not, but you've captured the dynamic pretty well.

Have you noticed that Miggy and Santiago seldom exchange words  while Miggy is a runner at first base? He'll chat with opposing team members, the umpire, etc  but most of the time he acts like there is a wall between him and Santiago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, DumberAndLeaner said:

That's a pretty fair assessment, I don't know if I would use the work "jerk" or not, but you've captured the dynamic pretty well.

Have you noticed that Miggy and Santiago seldom exchange words  while Miggy is a runner at first base? He'll chat with opposing team members, the umpire, etc  but most of the time he acts like there is a wall between him and Santiago.

They are at different elevations.  It might be difficult for them to hear one another.

Either that or Santiago is just so darned stunned that there's a base runner that he just doesn't know what to say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Casimir said:

 

Either that or Santiago is just so darned stunned that there's a base runner that he just doesn't know what to say.

Hadn't thought about that,...you might be right!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...