six-hopper

Nick Castellanos explains why he's hitting so poorly:

It's because he's getting no protection from the guy with the .698 OPS and 90 OPS+ who bats behind him.

• Like 1

You badly need a timeout. And probably more attention from your parents. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Motor City Sonics said:

Getting a little tired of the vitriol aimed at Miguel Cabrera.    Time spares no one.  

True enough. But when a guy having trouble throws his team under the bus as an excuse, it's gonna be pretty difficult to get much in the way of positive reviews for a while.

10 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

True enough. But when a guy having trouble throws his team under the bus as an excuse, it's gonna be pretty difficult to get much in the way of positive reviews for a while.

Yeah, he kind of opened himself up for criticism with that.  There was probably a better way to express that opinion.

Feels like a guy falling apart too early because he hasn't had the necessary dedication, especially once his contract was signed. There's a reason a lot of the athletes who make it into their late 30s and early 40s don't do things like drink and eat fast food. I'm not here to micromanage anyone, but I'm guessing when it comes to MLB athletes, Cabrera isn't in the top 50 percentiles for amount of work he puts in behind the scenes. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Yoda said:

You badly need a timeout. And probably more attention from your parents. 

If I wanted more attention, I'd come out of the basement.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

Feels like a guy falling apart too early because he hasn't had the necessary dedication, especially once his contract was signed. There's a reason a lot of the athletes who make it into their late 30s and early 40s don't do things like drink and eat fast food. I'm not here to micromanage anyone, but I'm guessing when it comes to MLB athletes, Cabrera isn't in the top 50 percentiles for amount of work he puts in behind the scenes. 

You don't know any of that.

Also, aside from not connecting with as many balls in the zone, he's hitting just as he has his whole career. He's been largely unlucky this year. He's also not swinging at more balls out of the zone, nor is he not swinging at more balls in the zone. Just about everything has been the same, except way fewer fly balls are going for HR's. If the exit velo, launch angle, etc are the same, he's been unlucky. But sure, prob eating too many cheeseburger or some other juvenile argument like that. 

• Thanks 1

Six Hopper lighting up message boards again, I see...by the way Nick is an avg. hitter...patricularly by today's standards and by the fact he can't field...no one wanted him in the off season for a reason. Doesn't have enough power for a no field kind of guy. End of effing story..

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Getting a little tired of the vitriol aimed at Miguel Cabrera.    Time spares no one.  

Miguel Cabrera is a very unlikable guy, so it's to be expected.  

He doesn't bother to learn his teammates names.

He was a drunkard in his early years and even showed up to a big game drunk.

He cheated on his wife and has a second family. 

He throws his teammates under the bus when he is not performing.

He put up Hall of Fame numbers so he got a lot of free passes.  But now that he is hitting has gone south, no more free passes.  The guy is a jerk.  Always has been.  

• Like 3

I don't know if he's a jerk or not...I do believe he has never taken conditioning seriously and has invited a lot of scrutiny in his personal life by acting irresponsibly.  Reminds me of the Nanci Griffith lyric "when beauty's all you offer, how soon the world discovers that your beauty's gone".

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Fluke might have something to do with it, but there might be a little more to it than just that.

2019-05-12_12-10-34.thumb.jpg.d5e050bc260f06b79bc13d7b4498bdd6.jpg

First of all, his barrel rates, which is probably the top indicator of the four you listed as to whether he's going to hit home runs, is not at his career norms. The Statcast chart shows us that last year and this, he was far below career norms. In fact, his barrel rate last year was way below even league average. He's middle of the pack this year on barrels per batted ball event, but he is still below average on barrels per plate appearance. So as far as his lack of home runs are concerned, that's likely a big part of it.

Another part of the problem is how Miggy is hitting the ball hard. It's true he has a decent exit velocity of 91.5, which places him 50th of 361 qualifiers, but that mainly comes from his exit velocity on ground balls, 92.0, which places him eighth of 361. His exit velocity of 91.7 on fly balls and line drives ranks him only 247th of 361.

This is an issue because Miggy has become a ground ball and pop-up machine. His 54.6% GB rate last year was horrifically bad; his 44.6% rate this year is merely terrible, the fourth worst rate of his career. Plus, his pop-up rates rose suddenly from 2.5% in 2017 to 9.1% last year and 9.4% this year.

Bottom line is, Miggy hits too many ground balls and pop-ups to hit a lot of home runs, and when he hits the ball hard, they tend to be worm burners. If there is any fluke involved, it's that he has only one home run in 140 at bats instead of two or three.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Yoda said:

You don't know any of that.

Also, aside from not connecting with as many balls in the zone, he's hitting just as he has his whole career. He's been largely unlucky this year. He's also not swinging at more balls out of the zone, nor is he not swinging at more balls in the zone. Just about everything has been the same, except way fewer fly balls are going for HR's. If the exit velo, launch angle, etc are the same, he's been unlucky. But sure, prob eating too many cheeseburger or some other juvenile argument like that. 

Hold on.  Are you saying he's taken great care of himself during his career?  Has he just been wearing a baggy jersey?  Come on.....

As far as his home run numbers are concerned, I heard his hitting described such that, he's more of a contact hitter with power rather than a power hitter.  I think that seems reasonable, and probably does account for some of the power outage so far this season.  Really, if you look at his home run numbers between 2014-2017 and compare them to his previous seasons, we've already seen a bit of a drop in home runs.

I also think that what @Gehringer_2 (I think) mentioned previously about recovering from his biceps injury might have something to do with his lack of power so far this season.

• Like 1

the thing with hitters is that you expect their eye to go long before their power. Men retain most of their peak muscle strength well into their 30's, it's the reflexes/neuro processing that goes first. To me this is what is odd about where Cabrera is. He has had stretches this season - pretty much the whole month prior to this week, where he was having no trouble hitting singles/doubles at a very high rate - well over 300BA territory. To me it is very odd that a big man hitting the ball well enough to keep a near 400 OBP over a one month period hasn't put any in the seats over that stretch. Really - it's pretty much unprecented for any hitter other than a Tony Gwynn/Rod Carew type - a completely out of style style of hitting, but that seems to be where Cabrera is - even when he is not cold like he has been in the last 5 games.

26 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Fluke might have something to do with it, but there might be a little more to it than just that.

2019-05-12_12-10-34.thumb.jpg.d5e050bc260f06b79bc13d7b4498bdd6.jpg

First of all, his barrel rates, which is probably the top indicator of the four you listed as to whether he's going to hit home runs, is not at his career norms. The Statcast chart shows us that last year and this, he was far below career norms. In fact, his barrel rate last year was way below even league average. He's middle of the pack this year on barrels per batted ball event, but he is still below average on barrels per plate appearance. So as far as his lack of home runs are concerned, that's likely a big part of it.

Another part of the problem is how Miggy is hitting the ball hard. It's true he has a decent exit velocity of 91.5, which places him 50th of 361 qualifiers, but that mainly comes from his exit velocity on ground balls, 92.0, which places him eighth of 361. His exit velocity of 91.7 on fly balls and line drives ranks him only 247th of 361.

This is an issue because Miggy has become a ground ball and pop-up machine. His 54.6% GB rate last year was horrifically bad; his 44.6% rate this year is merely terrible, the fourth worst rate of his career. Plus, his pop-up rates rose suddenly from 2.5% in 2017 to 9.1% last year and 9.4% this year.

Bottom line is, Miggy hits too many ground balls and pop-ups to hit a lot of home runs, and when he hits the ball hard, they tend to be worm burners. If there is any fluke involved, it's that he has only one home run in 140 at bats instead of two or three.

Yes, the argument that he is hitting the ball as well as ever but has just been unlucky doesn't hold water.  In addition to his huge increase in ground balls and pop-ups that you pointed to, he is also striking out more than ever before -- 40 times in 140 at-bats, a  rate of 29 percent.  And his lack of production didn't start this year -- his overall WAR was negative in 2017, it's negative so far in 2019, and it was barely in the black in 2018.  Even if you ignore his lousy defense and focus just on his Offensive WAR, he has been barely above sea level in the last two seasons, and he's right at zero for this year.

• Like 1

If Cabrera wasn't stuck with his huge contract, he would be out of baseball right now. What you are witnessing now is the run off of the worst contract in history. Most big, husky, big boned sluggers like Miggy just simply leave in their mid to late 30's when their out-of-shape habits come home to roost. So, we have to endure this abomination for a few more years..

Cabrera is old, oft injured, and has the body type that doesnt age well.  He was great for his first 8 or 9 years here, but lets face it, he's been done for a couple years now.  It's only going to get worse for him from here.  It is what it is.  That said, he should keep his dumb comments to himself.

2 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

Feeling like a guy falling apart about the time he naturally should have given his history of lower-body injuries.    We've been spoiled by the PED and steroid-freaks.     I compare Miggy to Mike Schmidt........similar type of power hitter who's knees and legs went.  He left in the middle of the last year in his contract in 1989.   He was only walking away from about 1 million (the Phillies paid him anyway).    Miggy might be nearing the same point in his career where he can't really get it done to the level he and everyone else expects, but he's got way too much money at stake to walk away and that's not his fault, that's on Mike Illitch.     We all knew it was going to be a horrible contract at the end,  but the end has come about 2-3 years sooner than we expected. 

Chirping about his teammates is the wrong tack, but the dude is frustrated and probably exasperated at this point and showed some bad judgement.   He knows it's slipping away and he wants to fight it, but can't accept it just yet. 

As far as questioning his work ethic or off-season routine.  Do you hang out with him in the winter?   I am not going to question him on that because I don't know.  Maybe he is working out plenty but not enough to offset his advancing age.    Ever torn a bicep?  I would imagine it's extremely painful and maybe it takes time to recover from that, more than we know.   Remember when everyone dusted JV because he was slow to recover from his core surgery?    And yes, he is swinging at some bad pitches...........that might be part of the denial in action - he's trying TOO hard to make up for it in one at bat.  

Miggy's given us some incredible years and we should have won at least one title with the group we had, but it didn't happen.   Not always happy with what he says, but I will give him the benefit of a doubt.

Maybe TFK's rapid decline in HR's is karma's way of making sure Al Kaline remains the franchise leader in HR's

5 hours ago, Casimir said:

I also think that what @Gehringer_2 (I think) mentioned previously about recovering from his biceps injury might have something to do with his lack of power so far this season.

Didn’t John Elway have the same kind of injury?  I have a ruptured bicep. And aside from it looking ugly, it hasn’t affected my ability to hit homeruns. 

• Like 1

I think Ilitch told them to “do what it takes” to lock Miggy up and they did. Ilitch had an irrational love for this team and was personally responsible for it and wanted to win a World Series for this city. He was also living on borrowed time. It was a perfect storm for a decision like this. 

Boy, this thread brought out the vitrial. Cabrera will be fine, give it time, so will Harrison.

Cabrera does not look as if he is a workout fanatic which is something that becomes more important as one ages.  That being said, players tend to decline pretty quickly at his age.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IdahoBert said:

Didn’t John Elway have the same kind of injury?  I have a ruptured bicep. And aside from it looking ugly, it hasn’t affected my ability to hit homeruns. 

Yeah, but you are the exception to the rule in many rule books, written and unwritten.

34 minutes ago, Longgone said:

Boy, this thread brought out the vitrial. Cabrera will be fine, give it time, so will Harrison.

I think Cabrera will be able to hit for average, but I'm not sure about the power.  But if the average goes, too, look out.  There's a lot of time left on that contract, and it isn't tough to imagine the situation getting ugly before its over.

Bumping that contract extension thread up might be good fun to rehash.