Keepleyland2

5/11 @8:10 Detroit Tigers at Minnesota Twins

Just now, IdahoBert said:

The fact that they won one game of this doubleheader and we’re not shut out in either game I consider a total victory. 

For sure, and they have hit 5 home runs today, All, except maybe Candy, from 4A players.  

Again, a good solo home run fest win in game 1 today.  

• Like 1

They say when a pitcher's fastball starts floating high out of the zone it's because the pitcher is tired. Soto was lofting a few before he gave up the 3 run bomb. Don't know how much it mattered since Ramirez was the next scheduled arm. 

Interesting that Miggy is hitting over .450 (coming into today) and Nick is at .265 (again coming into today) with RISP, yet combined they are on pace to drive in 98 runs combined (and Miggy has yet to miss a game, other than his ejection tonight).

The key for them is the total lack of power in those situations.  No 3 run home runs and not many (if any) 2 run doubles

26 minutes ago, kj2018 said:

Interesting that Miggy is hitting over .450 (coming into today) and Nick is at .265 (again coming into today) with RISP, yet combined they are on pace to drive in 98 runs combined (and Miggy has yet to miss a game, other than his ejection tonight).

The key for them is the total lack of power in those situations.  No 3 run home runs and not many (if any) 2 run doubles

How often are that at bat with two runners on?

2 minutes ago, Casimir said:

How often are that at bat with two runners on?

4 times*

(*actual number may be different)

11 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

Home-plate umpires make the wrong call on a shocking 20% of pitches

We also found that the highest error rates did not come from younger, less experienced umpires; they came from the older, veteran umpires. The average MLB umpire is 46 years old, with 13 years of experience. But the top performers between 2008 and 2018 had an average age of 33 years old and had less than three years of experience at the big league level. Like professional baseball players, professional umpires seem to peak at a certain age.”

Getting closer every season to the fabled 100% accurate robot plate umpires...and I'm getting closer to agreeing with it.

robot-umpire.jpg

49 minutes ago, Dtrain72 said:

Getting closer every season to the fabled 100% accurate robot plate umpires...and I'm getting closer to agreeing with it.

robot-umpire.jpg

My only complaint in the article is they appear to take credit for the strike zone mappings, which are already done at F/X. They apparently scanned and collated them, but they did not invent that plotting system.

I think the bigger point however is that it is not an umpire's absolute accuracy that matters to most hitters and pitchers, it is his consistency. An umpire can have a high absolute error rate but as long as he always call the same pitch the same way it will not cause controversy or skew the game that much. OTOH, the worse thing that can happen is when an Ump has a zone that happens to favor one team, for instance some guys are just lousy at calling a good 12-6 curve at either the top or bottom of the zone. If a team has a curveball pitcher going against a slider pitcher and the curve-ball pitcher can't get a call, that also affects the game a lot more than the absolute number of mistakes the Ump makes.

My guess is that older umps may be less faithful to the official zone but some of them still call a very consistent game.

All that said, the crew in Det for the Royal's series was just horrible behind the plate.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

My only complaint in the article is they appear to take credit for the strike zone mappings, which are already done at F/X. They apparently scanned and collated them, but they did not invent that plotting system.

I think the bigger point however is that it is not an umpire's absolute accuracy that matters to most hitters and pitchers, it is his consistency. An umpire can have a high absolute error rate but as long as he always call the same pitch the same way it will not cause controversy or skew the game that much. OTOH, the worse thing that can happen is when an Ump has a zone that happens to favor one team, for instance some guys are just lousy at calling a good 12-6 curve at either the top or bottom of the zone. If a team has a curveball pitcher going against a slider pitcher and the curve-ball pitcher can't get a call, that also affects the game a lot more than the absolute number of mistakes the Ump makes.

My guess is that older umps may be less faithful to the official zone but some of them still call a very consistent game.

All that said, the crew in Det for the Royal's series was just horrible behind the plate.

This is mentioned frequently, strike zone consistency as opposed to calling the absolute letter of the law.  It seems plausible to me to be the case among players and coaches.