Keepleyland2

5/11 @8:10 Detroit Tigers at Minnesota Twins

They should’ve ragged on JaCoby Jones a little more because he grounded into a double play. 

“Conduct detrimental to baseball,” for Soto. Hmmm. Intriguingly nondescript. Things that proper sorts of people frown upon? Baseball players are pretty uncouth so the bar starts sort of low right out of the gate. Reminiscent of the catchall phrase for bad conduct in the19th century Idaho Territory before statehood: “notorious crimes against nature.“ 

Dixon singles in Stewart after sliding into the DH after Miggy’s ejection. 

What a ****ty called strike. Ronnie strikes out on a ball nowhere near the strike zone. The Twins pitcher looked embarrassed but of course he was as glad to accept it as anyone would. 

I don’t know what’s worse: the home plate ump, or Matt Shepherd misjudging another fly ball. 

Home-plate umpires make the wrong call on a shocking 20% of pitches

We also found that the highest error rates did not come from younger, less experienced umpires; they came from the older, veteran umpires. The average MLB umpire is 46 years old, with 13 years of experience. But the top performers between 2008 and 2018 had an average age of 33 years old and had less than three years of experience at the big league level. Like professional baseball players, professional umpires seem to peak at a certain age.”

7 minutes ago, tigerbomb13 said:

I don’t know what’s worse: the home plate ump, or Matt Shepherd misjudging another fly ball. 

300' fly ball: THERE GOES ONE!!! and caught. 

Homerun: And it's a fly ball to right.... AND GONE! 

JaCoby’s batting stance last year was better when he was a horrible hitter with occasional power, as opposed to this horrible hitter that has trouble hitting anything out of the infield. 

Just walked in, flipped on the game, and saw a Twin bunt against the shift and get an easy base hit.   Do the Tigers not understand how to do that?

And then the next hitter Cron smoked one for a game over 3 run home run.

Good win this afternoon, to mitigate the free fall, for at least a few days.  

This team now has zero pitching depth, which should help facilitate the sell off later this season.  

7 minutes ago, kj2018 said:

Just walked in, flipped on the game, and saw a Twin bunt against the shift and get an easy base hit.   Do the Tigers not understand how to do that?

That thinking is overrated. Even if that happens; Two other guys still have to do something. Do you trust three guys to do things before getting three outs?

• Like 1

Just now, Charles Liston said:

How does everybody like Gregory Soto so far?

Bullpen Arm

-Keith Law

1 minute ago, Keepleyland2 said:

That thinking is overrated. Even if that happens. Two other guys still have to do something. Do you trust three guys to do things before getting three outs?

Well, the Twins guy did it with a runner on first, so it was first and second with nobody out.  Now with the current Tigers squad, that may not amount to much, however, if there is a free runner and base to be taken, eventually it would start to pay off.

but i rarely if ever have seen a Tigers hitter try to take advantage of that.  

2 minutes ago, kj2018 said:

Well, the Twins guy did it with a runner on first, so it was first and second with nobody out.  Now with the current Tigers squad, that may not amount to much, however, if there is a free runner and base to be taken, eventually it would start to pay off.

but i rarely if ever have seen a Tigers hitter try to take advantage of that.  

Again, I think that belief is overrated and simplistic. It often isn't going to end up with runs, requires a deep lineup and is really hard to do (think about it even the most succesful things in baseball still fail 7 out of 10 times)

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/24049347/mlb-hitters-explain-why-just-beat-shift

8 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

That thinking is overrated. Even if that happens; Two other guys still have to do something. Do you trust three guys to do things before getting three outs?

If he grounds out into the shift, then three guys might have to something with two outs.  I agree it probably won't result in many more runs if any, but I'd like to see this element of surprise tried once in a while.  At the very least, it might prevent the other team from shifting so much.  

I think it depends when the hitter comes up.  With him leading off or coming up with a guy on first and nobody out, i think it would be a good value.  A leadoff single is always a good thing, and 2 on nobody out is good as well.

Of course, Candy just tried it with 2 outs and nobody on (which is when I would most always say DONT try  it) and he grounded to the catcher.

Again, i think there is a right time / situation to try it. 

Just now, tiger337 said:

If he grounds out into the shift, then three guys might have to something with two outs.  I agree it probably won't result in many more runs if any, but I'd like to see this element of surprise tried once in a while.  At the very least, it might prevent the other team from shifting so much.  

It's ok used sparingly, I get that. But, the whole thinking is overrated. I linked a story where Big leaguers talk about why. 

And even if there are zero outs three guys still have to do something. Hit, grounder to the right side, sac fly, etc. All require doing something. 

The fact that they won one game of this doubleheader and we’re not shut out in either game I consider a total victory.