Keepleyland2

5/8 @7:10 Los Angeles Angels vs Detroit Tigers

Nice easy win for the boys tonight.

Angels outfielders not named Trout are really dumb -  missing the cut-off man, overplaying a lot in a ball park that is definitely risky to try overplaying in. 

Also good to see Reed Garrett sliding into Drew Verhagen's vacated spot in the BP as the big arm that doesn't know where it's going. Wouldn't want to see that role unfilled.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

I like the telescopic shot of home plate looking out to centerfield. 

for those of us old enough to remember, they used to use the home plate shot a lot more way back in the day - talking 60's here. Maybe because telephoto video from CF just wasn't very good in those days?

13 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Angels outfielders not named Trout are really dumb -  missing the cut-off man, overplaying a lot in a ball park that is definitely risky to try overplaying in. 

Also good to see Reed Garrett sliding into Drew Verhagen's vacated spot in the BP as the big arm that doesn't know where it's going. Wouldn't want to see that role unfilled.

Waiting for you to point out why we're doomed tomorrow.

Just now, LooseGoose said:

Waiting for you to point out why we're doomed tomorrow.

yes, it's there, lurking, the curse that dare not utter it's name. Shep even hexed them by mentioning it at the end of the broadcast, whereas I though we might just sneak past it this time........

21 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I still have hopes for Ver. Anybody know when the deadline is for him making it through waivers?

1 hour ago, LooseGoose said:

I've been checking the weather and the temps are nearly the same as here, within a couple degrees.  Hoping to miss some of the summer crowds.   

Even Jake gets into things...2 Run HR - Tigers 10-2

we went  through Yellowstone early last year - still a lot of snow above ~6k feet so no hiking anywhere up high.  Ended up having a nice picnic lunch in the sunshine and snow on the shore of lake Isa right on the Continental Divide. Happy travels.

22 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

yes, it's there, lurking, the curse that dare not utter it's name. Shep even hexed them by mentioning it at the end of the broadcast, whereas I though we might just sneak past it this time........

Utter the curse. I have no idea what you’re talking about. 

13 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Utter the curse. I have no idea what you’re talking about. 

I shall not have spaketh it! 

But heck - it should be ok to typeth it....

I was kidding LG before Norris' start that he couldn't possibly win that one because it would put the Tigs at 500. Since that stretch last year when they were still hanging close to it for a while the Tiger's have repeatedly failed to win the game that would get them back to 500.

....And now Ryan Carpenter is cruelly being brought in as a fodder to propitiate the baseball gods, no doubt in a futile effort to protect young Turnbull from bearing such a burden.

Jimenez with some seriously well spun heaters tonight. The pitch he got Trout on had about 13" vertical break at near 3000 rpm. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

for those of us old enough to remember, they used to use the home plate shot a lot more way back in the day - talking 60's here. Maybe because telephoto video from CF just wasn't very good in those days?

kaline-game7.jpg

lolich-game7.jpg

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I shall not have spaketh it! 

But heck - it should be ok to typeth it....

I was kidding LG before Norris' start that he couldn't possibly win that one because it would put the Tigs at 500. Since that stretch last year when they were still hanging close to it for a while the Tiger's have repeatedly failed to win the game that would get them back to 500.

....And now Ryan Carpenter is cruelly being brought in as a fodder to propitiate the baseball gods, no doubt in a futile effort to protect young Turnbull from bearing such a burden.

Oh yeah. That is indeed a Christians vs. Lions sort of thing. 

5 hours ago, lordstanley said:

kaline-game7.jpg

lolich-game7.jpg

It is so thrilling to see photos of that ‘68 World Series.  Even though it’s blurry the top one is definitely Gibson vs Kaline.

We all know who #6 is so that makes it easy, but even then the characteristic body movement signatures of both players are evident from miles away, especially the follow-through of Gibson’s delivery and the curving slump to Kaline’s shoulders. 

And the bottom one is so obviously Mickey Lolich as the hurler and the mountain AKA Bill Freehan as catcher. It’s amazing how even 50 years later stuff like this still makes my heart flutter.  

These photos are like the crest of an ocean wave frozen into one dazzling moment of diamonds in flight. They’re perfect. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, thefunk said:

CLASSIC Ausmus inning.

2 outs, 4-1, leave the starter in way too long and now it’s 7-1.

Finally take him out and get a bonus twist of the knife error which makes it 8-1.

good riddance, you half bearded butt hole.

The extra runs are on Ausmus. Angels ended up loading the bases in the 9th. They had every shot to win had Brad not let the Tigers get runs 7 and 8. 

This happened countless time in his Tiger tenure. I’d say Angel fans will riot, but that implies they know anything about baseball.

8 hours ago, jbhappy said:

whoa, JaCoby old-fenced that one.

I like that description.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

It is so thrilling to see photos of that ‘68 World Series.  Even though it’s blurry the top one is definitely Gibson vs Kaline.

We all know who #6 is so that makes it easy, but even then the characteristic body movement signatures of both players are evident from miles away, especially the follow-through of Gibson’s delivery and the curving slump to Kaline’s shoulders. 

And the bottom one is so obviously Mickey Lolich as the hurler and the mountain AKA Bill Freehan as catcher. It’s amazing how even 50 years later stuff like this still makes my heart flutter.  

These photos are like the crest of an ocean wave frozen into one dazzling moment of diamonds in flight. They’re perfect. 

I miss everyone on a team wearing the same damned sox and cleats.

2 hours ago, thefunk said:

The extra runs are on Ausmus. Angels ended up loading the bases in the 9th. They had every shot to win had Brad not let the Tigers get runs 7 and 8. 

This happened countless time in his Tiger tenure. I’d say Angel fans will riot, but that implies they know anything about baseball.

Riots. I never thought of riots......

When we were in SoCal last summer we had to drop some-one off at the train station in Anaheim, which can be reached by driving through the Halos' stadium's parking lot. The lots must have had 10,000 of those concrete median barriers arranged all through it, like some kind of giant lab rat maze. Had no clue why. Now it perfectly clear - they were prepping for Ausmus! Nothing like huge concrete slabs to keep people herded where they are supposed to be!

2 hours ago, Casimir said:

I like that description.

Lynn does not approve.

2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Shoes and socks scold.

3 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

wslr8.jpg

3 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

“Team” is not spelled M-E. Those high socks that are reminiscent of an old lady’s garter are part of the continual hazing ritual that real men endure in stride. 

4 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Riots. I never thought of riots......

When we were in SoCal last summer we had to drop some-one off at the train station in Anaheim, which can be reached by driving through the Halos' stadium's parking lot. The lots must have had 10,000 of those concrete median barriers arranged all through it, like some kind of giant lab rat maze. Had no clue why. Now it perfectly clear - they were prepping for Ausmus! Nothing like huge concrete slabs to keep people herded where they are supposed to be!

Lived in Orange County for 5 years, the final 3 of which we lived so close to Angel stadium we could bike there.  I ended up going to quite a few games, including most all the Tiger losses. I can say, with absolute confidence, your average Angel fan just might be the stupidest in the entire league.  It's beyond bad. 

5 minutes ago, thefunk said:

Lived in Orange County for 5 years, the final 3 of which we lived so close to Angel stadium we could bike there.  I ended up going to quite a few games, including most all the Tiger losses. I can say, with absolute confidence, your average Angel fan just might be the stupidest in the entire league.  It's beyond bad. 

When was the last time you visited this message board?

10 hours ago, Casimir said:

I like that description.

I got it from this forum, I think, but no idea whose it is.

8 hours ago, thefunk said:

Angels Stadium is probably the most boring, nondescript baseball stadium in the majors. The view, like the stadium itself, is neither beautiful nor ugly, engaging nor off-putting: it's just... there. The Big "A" is like the stadium you'd see in a baseball video game that wasn't licensed by MLB.

• Like 1

One of my earliest memories of watching baseball was watching the all star game there in I believe 88 or 89 so Angels stadium has always kinda held a special place in my heart because of that.