six-hopper

Is Miguel Cabrera drinking again?

10 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Unless playing is making him worse, there is no reason to sit a guy hitting 304 even if it were to be true that it's health that is holding back his power.  He may be bad, he may be the empty hollowed out shell of the hitter that used to wear #24,  but even as he is right now, he is no worse than the 2nd best hitter on the roster. In fact over the last month he has been the best - depending on how much credit you want to give Ronnie R's SSS.

That says a lot more about the roster than it does about Cabrera - but it is what it is.

I wasn't exactly saying they should sit him, only that even if he is hurt they won't sit him, because he's a $31 million gorilla. That's what I meant to put across.

You're right, on a terrible hitting Tigers circus, he's definitely one of the tallest midgets.

10 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

When was the last time Cabrera was fully health?

There's a substantial spread between "being hurt" and "fully healthy". That's probably where Miggy is. Given how hard major leaguers push their bodies to perform at top potential, I doubt hardly any of them could be described as 100% healthy, in the sense of pain-free and agile to an uninhibited degree.

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

There's a substantial spread between "being hurt" and "fully healthy". That's probably where Miggy is. Given how hard major leaguers push their bodies to perform at top potential, I doubt hardly any of them could be described as 100% healthy, in the sense of pain-free and agile to an uninhibited degree.

It doesn't even bother me if he decides he'd rather finish his career and a high average low power guy instead of giving up average for power. He can still be a very useful player doing that, but for mercy sakes if that is his decision he has  absolutely positively no excuse for the weight he is playing at, which is going to insure that he gets hurt again in short order. 150 times running the bases with that body is guaranteed trouble.

Miggy's lack of HR is largely a fluke rather than him trying to be a no power guy... 

His career HR/FB% is 18.6, including around 13.5 the last two seasons. This year its 3.7%. Barrel%, Exit velo, Launch angle, hard hit% all on par with career norms.

The HR's will come if he maintains everything else. 

13 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Miggy's lack of HR is largely a fluke rather than him trying to be a no power guy... 

some of the data argues that is the case now, I won't argue it, but sooner or later that choice is coming for him.

On thing that does show is that his up the middle % is at an all time high and both his RF and LF % are down. Even with good exit velocity you are not going to hit a lot of HRs with an up the middle swing. It may be just rust, but if he is going to get his ISO back up he has to get back to spraying the ball wider on the diamond. Again, I think a lot of it is that a lot of those up the middle swings are defensive with 2 strikes. He is just behind in the count way too much. That he is hitting 300 while being 0-2 so much is a testament to the underlying skill level as a hitter though.

22 minutes ago, Yoda said:

His career HR/FB% is 18.6, including around 13.5 the last two seasons. This year its 3.7%. Barrel%, Exit velo, Launch angle, hard hit% all on par with career norms.

The HR's will come if he maintains everything else. 

These numbers tell me he's not seeing the ball right.

9 minutes ago, chasfh said:

These numbers tell me he's not seeing the ball right.

How do you figure? In addition, he's not swinging at more ball out of the zone and he's not taking more balls in the zone. He's seeing just fine. 

32 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

some of the data argues that is the case now, I won't argue it, but sooner or later that choice is coming for him.

On thing that does show is that his up the middle % is at an all time high and both his RF and LF % are down. Even with good exit velocity you are not going to hit a lot of HRs with an up the middle swing. It may be just rust, but if he is going to get his ISO back up he has to get back to spraying the ball wider on the diamond. Again, I think a lot of it is that a lot of those up the middle swings are defensive with 2 strikes. He is just behind in the count way too much. That he is hitting 300 while being 0-2 so much is a testament to the underlying skill level as a hitter though.

Agree with all of this. But I'd rather have that and have him still hitting the ball hard than the opposite. If he stays healthy a lot of those will start to fall in the gaps and clear fences. 

7 minutes ago, Yoda said:

How do you figure? In addition, he's not swinging at more ball out of the zone and he's not taking more balls in the zone. He's seeing just fine. 

This one stands out a bit. His swing rate on sliders is up from a career norm of 17% to 25% this season.

1 minute ago, Yoda said:

Agree with all of this. But I'd rather have that and have him still hitting the ball hard than the opposite. If he stays healthy a lot of those will start to fall in the gaps and clear fences. 

I agree this is overblown. He's hitting OK for a 36 yr old and is very close to hitting very well period. It is inevitable his performance is going to shift in various ways as he get older, it's our baseball nerdness that has us interested in tracking the details.

9 minutes ago, Yoda said:

If he's hitting the ball hard as always and it's not going out, his launch angles and EVs on a ball-by-ball basis are probably off.

1 hour ago, Yoda said:

Yeah, his power shortage really isn't that bad.   After all, he has more home runs this year than all but nine pitchers, and only two of those pitchers have more home runs than he does.   Plus those two probably have Victor Martinez and Prince Fielder batting behind them.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I agree this is overblown. He's hitting OK for a 36 yr old and is very close to hitting very well period. It is inevitable his performance is going to shift in various ways as he get older, it's our baseball nerdness that has us interested in tracking the details.

I am fine with this. Just don't blame the guys hitting behind you,..........publicly.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, chasfh said:

I think Cabrera is still hurt. But no one is going to tell the $31 million gorilla he’s gotta sit.

I do not think he is hurt. He is fat and he is slow. Losing 30 pounds would do wonders for the guy. I am still amazed how overweight he is playing baseball every day. 

3 hours ago, Tim Mitchell said:

I am fine with this. Just don't blame the guys hitting behind you,..........publicly.

no argument there at all.

Are we sure he ever stopped drinking to begin with...😁

5 hours ago, Tim Mitchell said:

Ausmus says it's alright to keep blaming him. 

30 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Ausmus says it's alright to keep blaming him. 

I blame Jordy Mercer. 

Jacoby Jones now has more home runs than Miguel Cabrera.  They must be pitching Miggy like he's  Brandon Inge.

Right now he is 45th in average exit velocity, 25th in number of hard hit balls(95mph+) and 26th in hard hit percentage.  His Launch angle is 249th though but looking back at previous years(it only goes to 2015) he never had a high launch angle to begin with.  So to me while these numbers may not be quite where he was in his prime it shows that he still hits the ball hard at a high level and the extra base hits should start to come.  

I dont know about Miggy, but this thread is making me drink again.

3 hours ago, Dtrain72 said:

I dont know about Miggy, but this thread is making me drink again.

I'm always drinking when I start a thread, and almost always when I post.

Alex Gordon has more home runs than Miggy has had all year  in his first 3 at bats tonight (and as many as Nicholas has all year)