six-hopper

Is Miguel Cabrera drinking again?

10 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

Perhaps Cabrera has always been a naturally talented hitter and for that reason he is less accustomed to making adjustments to deal with his deficiencies than other players. 

Right now Niko is a better power hitter than Cabrera. 

Goodrum has more home runs and extra-base hits than Cabrera, as well as a higher Slugging Percentage, OPS, and OPS+.  And who's batting behind him?

If Cabrera thinks that anyone still fears him as a hitter and is pitching around him, he's delusional.

• Like 1

Miggy's age-related decline is compounded by the fact that MLB pitchers ultimately figured out his weaknesses and that information is well-known now throughout all of baseball.  Moreover, for the past several years ..Miggy has appeared terrified of the high inside pitch and that may be part of the reason for him being a sap sucker when pitchers come in and then go way out.

The problem is that Miggy never adjusted. 

2 hours ago, Tigrrfan said:

Miggy's age-related decline is compounded by the fact that MLB pitchers ultimately figured out his weaknesses and that information is well-known now throughout all of baseball.  Moreover, for the past several years ..Miggy has appeared terrified of the high inside pitch and that may be part of the reason for him being a sap sucker when pitchers come in and then go way out.

The problem is that Miggy never adjusted. 

i also still wonder about whether he has confidence in his arm or for that matter how the arm feels. There was about a week near the end of ST when he let it rip and pulled a few fastballs, but it seems like he's gone back to everything being just a half swing to RF. IDK, it's hard to separate from him just being defensive because he is behind in the count so often after chasing out of the zone.

The other thing not to lose sight of in the frustration about the AWOL ISO is that since April 4 he is hitting 344 with an OBP at 396 (surprising isn't it? Doesn't seem like it!). Even with no ISO that is not trivial to do. There is evidently very little wrong with his underlying ability to still see pitches and put the bat on the ball. 

What I find ironic is that he has complained in the past when pressured to slim down that he felt like it was costing him his power. Now his is eating like Greg Luzinsky but hitting like Rod Carew.

22 hours ago, Yoda said:

In a world where fans love to come up with dumb nicknames for players they're upset with, I'm supposed to inquire upon each one of them? That's something I neither have the time for nor do I care enough. I'll just continue to judge them without explanation, but thanks. 

Ego badly outpacing intellect=not worth my time

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Dude, relax. I'm just joking. 

Good God. You fans are so GD soft. You’re all here bitching about Cabrera speaking the truth in the middle of a rebuild? Like he owes you anything? You’re not paying him, dip-wads. 

Cabrera is what he is. And in a few short years, should you live that long, you’ll be watching Cabrera knock in the young guns in the playoffs, spewing the nachos your doctor told you not to eat all over the couch you can’t afford to replace. 

• Haha 1

These folks mad at Cabrera over his salary.    I don't know what you do for a living but if your boss offered you to be the highest paid person doing that job for a guaranteed 8 or 10 years - are you going to say "Nah, that's okay,  I might slow down in a few years".   Don't get mad at him over the money - you'd take it too, you sellouts !

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

These folks mad at Cabrera over his salary.    I don't know what you do for a living but if your boss offered you to be the highest paid person doing that job for a guaranteed 8 or 10 years - are you going to say "Nah, that's okay,  I might slow down in a few years".   Don't get mad at him over the money - you'd take it too, you sellouts !

Yeah, we all knew the back end of this contract was going to be painful, although most of us figured that part would take a bit longer to arrive. It's not Miggy's fault that Ilitch offered him a AYFKM?! contract, but he could have handled that answer better.

I swear to goodness Mike Valenti and everyone else at 97.1 has ruined your average sports fan in this town. I don’t know why Detroit can’t get them competition at another station, but they all have horrendous takes and are the radio equivalent to the National Enquirer.

they feed off of ludicrous dissension like this crap about Miguel. 

13 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I'm willing to try this out.

Going: If Miguel Cabrera has just one home run at the end of May, assuming he’s healthy and the weather finally warms up, then maybe it’s a cause for alarm. But not right now. Not when he’s been swinging the bat as consistently as he has the last three weeks.

His slash-line over the last 21 games: .322/.355/.425. He’s got six doubles and a home run and he’s hitting .448 with a .983 OPS with runners in scoring position.

Statcast data shows he has a 50 percent hard-hit rate and an average exit velocity on balls put in play of 92 mph. And, as his career-high 33 percent chase rate would attest, he isn’t even fully locked in yet after missing three and a half months last season.  

\Hackosky

38 minutes ago, kdog said:

his career-high 33 percent chase rate

He buried the lede. This is the whole issue. 

It was enjoyable watching Cabrera and Pujols chat it up at first base during the 6th inning. Pujols seemed particularly at ease. I guess he finds comfort in knowing that many of his milestones are no longer under imminent threat? 

Cabrera is getting his hits, but man, he has zero power.  He may not end up with 10 home runs this year.

One good thing is that he has played every day thus far this year.  Gardy has done a good job of mixing him up between DH and 1B, and the Tigers have had a lot of off days thus far, which has helped him as well.

Hopefully the power comes back at some point

On 5/6/2019 at 12:55 PM, Yoda said:

Dude, relax. I'm just joking. 

I can't relax...I spend my days battling Kung Fu masters equipped with Devil Weapons

7 starters in the Angels lineup have a higher SLG than Miggy

22 hours ago, holygoat said:

Yeah, we all knew the back end of this contract was going to be painful, although most of us figured that part would take a bit longer to arrive. It's not Miggy's fault that Ilitch offered him a AYFKM?! contract, but he could have handled that answer better.

When you make the kind of “**** you” money Miggy makes, you can answers questions any goddam way you want. 

12 hours ago, kdog said:

\Hackosky

News flash, Hack: when you’re hitting .322, a .355 on base and a .425 slugging ain’t good.

Here’s another thing that ain’t good: a .402 BABIP.

Well, it’s good as it’s happening, of course. It’s not good for what we can expect from him in the future, though.

39 minutes ago, kj2018 said:

Cabrera is getting his hits, but man, he has zero power.  He may not end up with 10 home runs this year.

One good thing is that he has played every day thus far this year.  Gardy has done a good job of mixing him up between DH and 1B, and the Tigers have had a lot of off days thus far, which has helped him as well.

Hopefully the power comes back at some point

I think Cabrera is still hurt. But no one is going to tell the $31 million gorilla he’s gotta sit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I think Cabrera is still hurt. But no one is going to tell the $31 million gorilla he’s gotta sit.

Unless playing is making him worse, there is no reason to sit a guy hitting 304 even if it were to be true that it's health that is holding back his power.  He may be bad, he may be the empty hollowed out shell of the hitter that used to wear #24,  but even as he is right now, he is no worse than the 2nd best hitter on the roster. In fact over the last month he has been the best - depending on how much credit you want to give Ronnie R's SSS.

That says a lot more about the roster than it does about Cabrera - but it is what it is.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

When was the last time Cabrera was fully health?

Just now, bobrob2004 said:

When was the last time Cabrera was fully health?

Before his wife laid the belly to back suplex on him when she heard about family #2.

• Like 1

Needs to lose weight. He is fat. **** yeah he needs to get healthy.......LOSE WEIGHT.