six-hopper

Is Miguel Cabrera drinking again?

I understand the Fat Kid's frustration...his skills are declining, he's playing on a terrible team that' s at least a couple of years away from even contending for a playoff spot.  That's no reason to lash out at your teammates.  On a good team, Niko Goodrum doesn't get 600 PA, let alone bat clean up...;but...here we are. Niko is what he is and it's not his fault.  It's the GM's and the owner's fault for not paying a few extra dollars to get some established talent.

Your choices are accept your fate, show some class and take ownership of your poor performance. Be an example of a professional for the younger players to follow Maybe if you didn't carry so much blubber in your mid section, you could get around on some of those pitches you're behind on. Or you can wallow in your self pity, point fingers at others and spend the last few seasons of your career embarrassing yourself and turning an entire city against you.

Maybe...just maybe...if you get your s##t together and become a reasonable copy of the old you, the Tigers can ship you off to a contender.  Your current direction isn't gonna make that happen...

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

What does any of this have to do with "drinking again"?

That was click bait.  

7 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Cabrera was a better hitter when he was drinking.  If we could get him back to being a functional alcoholic everything would be great. Make Miggy Great Again!

Cabrera had his best years playing 3B.  Maybe we should make him change positions? 

15 hours ago, six-hopper said:

The Underperforming One has now publicly blamed his lack of home runs on the poor quality of the hitters behind him.  What a POS.  Even if the whole "protection" thing had not been thoroughly discredited by the Pocket Protector crowd -- and it has -- throwing his teammates under the bus as an excuse for his awfulness is a benching offense, in my opinion.  It's too bad that it doesn't warrant a suspension without pay, which would allow the Tigers to avoid paying him for his anemic contributions.

I have now lost the last shred of respect I had for him.

First of all I agree with you that Miggy going public with this is very bad form, it reminds me of the way he was grousing  early  last season about how the fans don't appreciate him when he plays injured (at the time that statement appeared to me to be a veiled excuse for under performing)....So perhaps our next hall of famer is turning into a cancer of sorts in his declining years, which is too bad.

Perhaps, and I emphasize that it is only PERHAPS, Miggy's frustration comes from the same place that much of my frustration with this team originates....that the ownership's lack of commitment to win is going to make for some very unexciting baseball for the foreseeable future. AND THAT DUE TO HIS CONTRACT , he will likely spend the remainder of his career playing for a non-contender?

He likely never saw  such a scenario coming when he signed his big contract with us.

Beyond all that, I'm not sure I am sold on the value of "protection" being completely discredited. I seem to recall a number of years where the 7,8,&9 slots in our batting order were occupied by dependable outs, and opposing pitchers found the easiest way through our order to be to put the big guns on base and then strand them there while picking off Inge & co

55 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

That’s a great point.

1 hour ago, Charles Liston said:

“Drinking again” was the inspiration for the rant that got lost in the shuffle once the rant took flight. 

Perhaps Cabrera has always been a naturally talented hitter and for that reason he is less accustomed to making adjustments to deal with his deficiencies than other players. 

Right now Niko is a better power hitter than Cabrera. 

2 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

I'll be happy when the newspapers start hiring writers that know the language.

"Snide" - LOL

Snide.thumb.jpg.b4bfa63902eb4173ddff6823db52cfd4.jpg

Maybe a few editors, as well.

Cabrera has a lot of nerve showing up this season with as much blubber as he's carrying, and blaming his troubles on ANYONE else. I agree  completely with that. 

My dream is for Miggy to have an Ortiz like late-career resurgence. I'm at least a year and a half away from giving  up on that dream.

31 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Perhaps Cabrera has always been a naturally talented hitter and for that reason he is less accustomed to making adjustments to deal with his deficiencies than other players. 

Right now Niko is a better power hitter than Cabrera. 

Miguel is definitely out of line complaining about a hitter behind him who for most of the young season has been a better hitter than he has.

This interview was a bad move by any measure, but I was curious to notice that Miguel has started joining in with team gestures when he gets on base - I wonder if his traditional aloofness from the rest of the team is wearing thinner now that he isn't being superstar enough to justify it and he's realizing it - or maybe Gardenhire has and something has been said.

1 hour ago, Lei Pong said:

I understand the Fat Kid's frustration...his skills are declining, he's playing on a terrible team that' s at least a couple of years away from even contending for a playoff spot.  That's no reason to lash out at your teammates.  On a good team, Niko Goodrum doesn't get 600 PA, let alone bat clean up...;but...here we are. Niko is what he is and it's not his fault.  It's the GM's and the owner's fault for not paying a few extra dollars to get some established talent.

Your choices are accept your fate, show some class and take ownership of your poor performance. Be an example of a professional for the younger players to follow Maybe if you didn't carry so much blubber in your mid section, you could get around on some of those pitches you're behind on. Or you can wallow in your self pity, point fingers at others and spend the last few seasons of your career embarrassing yourself and turning an entire city against you.

Maybe...just maybe...if you get your s##t together and become a reasonable copy of the old you, the Tigers can ship you off to a contender.  Your current direction isn't gonna make that happen...

This week in baseball myths.... most good teams have players worse than Niko getting 600 PA's. Niko isn't a cleanup hitter but he's doing just fine. 

And it's hard to tune in when you start a post with something childish like calling him "Fat Kid". 

25 minutes ago, irvink said:

My dream is for Miggy to have an Ortiz like late-career resurgence. I'm at least a year and a half away from giving  up on that dream.

Regardless, you are still welcome to join the cyanide cocktail party after the game today at The Jonestown Bar and Grill. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

Cabrera was a better hitter when he was drinking.  If we could get him back to being a functional alcoholic everything would be great. Make Miggy Great Again!

Yes. I think it could give him strength like Popeyes spinach. One thing for sure is he's nothing but a singles hitter now..and even most of the singles are weak. But Miggy is such an adept hitter, he could slap patty cake singles for around .300 for another 3 years..ahem, at 31 million a year..ahem.

"The Fat Kid"  was Harmon Killebrew's nickname. As a slugging 3rd baseman switched to 1st, Miggy reminded me of Killebrew...it's been my personal nickname for him from day one in Detroit.

If you want to call that childish, go right ahead

• Like 3

Everyone here should have absolutely known what you meant. 

You should perhaps ask a question before making childish accusations...you might learn a little if you did.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yoda shoots first and asks questions later.  It's who he has always been.  

3 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

You should perhaps ask a question before making childish accusations...you might learn a little if you did.

In a world where fans love to come up with dumb nicknames for players they're upset with, I'm supposed to inquire upon each one of them? That's something I neither have the time for nor do I care enough. I'll just continue to judge them without explanation, but thanks. 

3 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Yoda shoots first and asks questions later.  It's who he has always been.  

Also why I have so many kids. 

• Haha 3

I always call him "fatboy". Term of endearment. Been that way since his third year in the big show..

58 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Also why I have so many kids. 

A deer eats shoots and leaves.  Yoda eats, shoots, and leaves.

• Like 1