six-hopper

Is Miguel Cabrera drinking again?

The Underperforming One has now publicly blamed his lack of home runs on the poor quality of the hitters behind him.  What a POS.  Even if the whole "protection" thing had not been thoroughly discredited by the Pocket Protector crowd -- and it has -- throwing his teammates under the bus as an excuse for his awfulness is a benching offense, in my opinion.  It's too bad that it doesn't warrant a suspension without pay, which would allow the Tigers to avoid paying him for his anemic contributions.

I have now lost the last shred of respect I had for him.

1 minute ago, six-hopper said:

The Underperforming One has now publicly blamed his lack of home runs on the poor quality of the hitters behind him.  What a POS.  Even if the whole "protection" thing had not been thoroughly discredited by the Pocket Protector crowd -- and it has -- throwing his teammates under the bus as an excuse for his awfulness is a benching offense, in my opinion.  It's too bad that it doesn't warrant a suspension without pay, which would allow the Tigers to avoid paying him for his anemic contributions.

Is he wrong?    Maybe he should not have said it, but he's not wrong.   I mean, I like Niko Goodrum, but he's the cleanup hitter here.  That's what's wrong and it's not Niko's fault.   

They should have signed a Logan Morrison-type, IMO.  Too many AB’s going to Beckham and Dixon that could go to a better hitter.

• Thanks 1

He's an old aging veteran who is mad that his twilight years are going to be on a team that can't contend and he's going to be the center of blame for a lot of fans.

Not cool to blame his teammates, but I think there are some pretty obvious reasons he'd be mad beyond "is drinking"

Look, this is what is supposed to happen when ballplayers get into their mid to late 30s,   we've been skewed by all the PEDs, Steroids and such that we forgot that this is how it's supposed to go.   

He's going to fade as quickly as Mike Schmidt did, only Mike walked away with about $1 million left on his contract and the Phillies let him keep it.   Miguel has a lot more reasons to just stick around.     Schmidt's legs failed him,  that's what will happen to Miguel,  we've already seen that.  

38 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Look, this is what is supposed to happen when ballplayers get into their mid to late 30s,   we've been skewed by all the PEDs, Steroids and such that we forgot that this is how it's supposed to go.   

He's going to fade as quickly as Mike Schmidt did, only Mike walked away with about $1 million left on his contract and the Phillies let him keep it.   Miguel has a lot more reasons to just stick around.     Schmidt's legs failed him,  that's what will happen to Miguel,  we've already seen that.  

I think there is something to the PED thing.  Without looking it up, I would imagine the aging curve has shifted back to what is what was was before PED's were at their peak.  

4 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I think there is something to the PED thing.  Without looking it up, I would imagine the aging curve have shifted back to what is what is was before PED's were at their peak.  

Oh, absolutely..........Darn it !

it's nobody's fault but his own if he won't take the walks. It's pretty clear he's been swinging out of zone way too much. Barry Bonds may not be the best role model for all those young kids out there, but he is for Cabrera right now.

six-hopper thread. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

46 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

it's nobody's fault but his own if he won't take the walks. It's pretty clear he's been swinging out of zone way too much. Barry Bonds may not be the best role model for all those young kids out there, but he is for Cabrera right now.

yeah, you can forgive a guy for swinging out of the zone when he hits like the old Cabrera, but not the current one.  

18 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Just remember, every day brings you one day closer to death.   

till then all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be

Miggy using PEDS??? PLEASE! perish the thought!

4 minutes ago, jb84 said:

Actually, we were suggesting that he is slowing down in his mid 30s because he may not  be using PED's like many from the earlier generation.  

1 hour ago, jb84 said:

That was a fair inference but not at all what I was thinking. Bonds being the model for Cabrera not for his PED use but for being willing to take as many walks as pitchers would give him when there were no other threats in the SF line-up in those years.

22 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

That was a fair inference but not at all what I was thinking. Bonds being the model for Cabrera not for his PED use but for being willing to take as many walks as pitchers would give him when there were no other threats in the SF line-up in those years.

Kinda hard to quantify Bonds' strike zone patience with all the intentional walks. Oh sure, it's still way above average, but maybe not as great as it may seem with all the IBB skewing it. 

7 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

Kinda hard to quantify Bonds' strike zone patience with all the intentional walks. Oh sure, it's still way above average, but maybe not as great as it may seem with all the IBB skewing it. 

Doesn’t he still need good strike zone patience to not swing at those intentional balls?

What are the expectations for Miggy's OPS going forward and at what point do you cut bait with him because he is more a detriment to the team than plus?  There is risk in cutting him and then watching him have a resurgence with another team but that seems less and less likely to happen.  As much as I would like to see him get to 500 career home runs and 3000 hits as a Tiger, I don't want keep him around for those reasons if we are better off without him.

12 hours ago, tiger337 said:

I think there is something to the PED thing.  Without looking it up, I would imagine the aging curve has shifted back to what is what was was before PED's were at their peak.  

Least shocking thing ever would be if Clemens’ son is suspended at some point.  

I'll be happy when the newspapers start hiring writers that know the language.

"Snide" - LOL

Snide.thumb.jpg.b4bfa63902eb4173ddff6823db52cfd4.jpg

9 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

IBB is tracked separately, so it's quantifiable.  

10 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

He obviously wasn't talking about the intentional walks.... 

2 minutes ago, Yoda said:

He obviously wasn't talking about the intentional walks.... 

Right, but as Lee mention, those are tracked separably, which I didn't know about.  

Cabrera was a better hitter when he was drinking.  If we could get him back to being a functional alcoholic everything would be great. Make Miggy Great Again!