calpon

Mize AA No-No

You guys are doing it wrong. You need to tell the person to have a day after he has already had a good day. 

In this case, the appropriate phrase is “Have a day, Casey” and then you post his stat line and an emoji and then send tweet

bonus points for using his first name like you are friends. 

10 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

Lloyd is still with the Tigers?

Lloyd is the Tigers.

7 hours ago, lordstanley said:

At my age of nearly 52, I don't really have a couple of years to give away. But I do kinduv wish it was 2021 already.

I was thinking about it this way, too. My Grandfather got to see the Tigers win it all when he was 14, 24, 47 and 63.

Of course, he had bigger concerns when he was 24. 

My Dad was 17 and 33. I'd like to see him get another one. He'll be 70 in 2021. 

I was 5 in 1984 and I didn't catch the fever until 1987. I have some time. 

4 minutes ago, Shelton said:

You guys are doing it wrong. You need to tell the person to have a day after he has already had a good day. 

In this case, the appropriate phrase is “Have a day, Casey” and then you post his stat line and an emoji and then send tweet

What if one doesn't have a tweeter account?

10 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

I'm trying my best not to slip into irrational exuberance.  

Rein it in Mr. Greenspan. 

30 minutes ago, Shelton said:

"Have a day, Shelton!"

47 minutes ago, Shelton said:

You can also add something like "What a great kid"..... when the player is about the same age as you.

Old Man Liston and me have something over on all you ‘50 Something’s: that we were rational beings of 16 and 32 years respectively for each of the last two WS triumphs and able to appreciate the resulting re-wiring of the neural circuitry that occurs. 

It’s like experiencing your greatest birthday, your first kiss, and finding a suitcase densely stuffed with untraceable hundred dollar bills in a lot filled with weeds near your house. You always remember that birthday, that kiss, and you can spend that money the rest of your life. That’s what winning a World Series is like. 

The only way to enjoy that experience to the fullest is to be so completely identified with the team on a personal level that the evisceration of losing is felt as your loss and the winning as your win. 

It’s crazy but that’s what being a fan is like.  Deeply rewarding and deeply annihilating at the same time. It’s like constantly being an open wound vulnerable to magic and torture at the same time. We’re going through the torture phase right now. 

• Like 5

Good post Bert. To your point, we were season ticket holders for years with the Carolina Hurricanes. I instinctively referred to all things Hurricane as “we.” Didn’t hesitate to identify myself with the team, wasn’t something that I even thought about. It was a financial commitment and a bond like feeling with the players and coaches. You won with the team and you lost with the team. When it was good it was real good. When it was bad, it was real bad. Lived and breathed it all day.

When someone says “we” won last night and two days later that same person says “they” lost last night, you know they’re never all in. I’m not native to Detroit so I don’t think I’ll ever be all the way there with the Tigers but they are my team, just the way it is I guess. But anyone that knows me at all wherever I’ve been always brings up the Tigers because they know that’s my baseball team.

When Carolina won The Cup in 2006, we spent a pretty $penny$ attending all home playoff games through all four series. We were all in, all year, for years. To win the ultimate prize in any sport is something I wish everyone could experience. It can’t be described. We have the Game 7 tickets stowed away for the grandkids. Being there on June 19, 2006 to see the guys skate The Cup that night was all worth it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

Old Man Liston and me have something over on all you ‘50 Something’s: that we were rational beings of 16 and 32 years respectively for each of the last two WS triumphs and able to appreciate the resulting re-wiring of the neural circuitry that occurs. 

It’s like experiencing your greatest birthday, your first kiss, and finding a suitcase densely stuffed with untraceable hundred dollar bills in a lot filled with weeds near your house. You always remember that birthday, that kiss, and you can spend that money the rest of your life. That’s what winning a World Series is like. 

The only way to enjoy that experience to the fullest is to be so completely identified with the team on a personal level that the evisceration of losing is felt as your loss and the winning as your win. 

It’s crazy but that’s what being a fan is like.  Deeply rewarding and deeply annihilating at the same time. It’s like constantly being an open wound vulnerable to magic and torture at the same time. We’re going through the torture phase right now. 

gee, you guys make me feel young...

(tee-hee)

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Good post Bert. To your point, we were season ticket holders for years with the Carolina Hurricanes. I instinctively referred to all things Hurricane as “we.” Didn’t hesitate to identify myself with the team, wasn’t something that I even thought about. It was a financial commitment and a bond like feeling with the players and coaches. You won with the team and you lost with the team. When it was good it was real good. When it was bad, it was real bad. Lived and breathed it all day.

Bunch of jerks. 😋

4 hours ago, Shelton said:

Great to see Shelton just having fun out there 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Walewander said:

I was thinking about it this way, too. My Grandfather got to see the Tigers win it all when he was 14, 24, 47 and 63.

Of course, he had bigger concerns when he was 24. 

My Dad was 17 and 33. I'd like to see him get another one. He'll be 70 in 2021. 

I was 5 in 1984 and I didn't catch the fever until 1987. I have some time. 

Just think, freshmen who will enter college at U of M or MSU this September probably are too young to have any memory of the Tigers' 2006 season. Which bookends the fact that Bert and Liston may soon be too old to remember the Tigers' 2006 season.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

When someone says “we” won last night and two days later that same person says “they” lost last night, you know they’re never all in. I’m not native to Detroit so I don’t think I’ll ever be all the way there with the Tigers but they are my team, just the way it is I guess. But anyone that knows me at all wherever I’ve been always brings up the Tigers because they know that’s my baseball team.

I’m not native to Detroit but I grew up close enough for the Tigers to be my legitimate team. Whatever Tiger fans eat drink and bleed I also eat drink and bleed.  When I lived in Tucson Arizona in 1984 all of my closest friends just by chance happened to be Detroit born and raised. And because of this team we all had a magical kinship that never had to be explained, but only felt.  

I have lived in Boise Idaho 32 years and whenever I meet somebody from Detroit and the Tigers arise in the conversation the timber of their voice changes from the ordinary to the solemn.  And if they’re my age and we talk about 1968 it’s like we’re reliving the cleansing downpour of that beautiful moment again as if it were actually the first time. 

When I wear the rather cool and ornate Detroit Tiger jacket I have, people stop me and talk to me usually because they’re from Detroit and they want me to know that they too live within the circle of the saved. 

So you don’t have to be a native of Detroit to be a Tiger fan. When you’re a Tiger fan you cease being a gentile and automatically become a man or woman of the cloth.  

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Bunch of jerks. 😋

I didn't want to be the one to point out jerk by association, but now that you've commented about it.....😄

25 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

Great to see Shelton just having fun out there 

He's having a day.

Casey was Amizing last night \Tony Paul probably.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

Bunch of jerks. 😋

👍😁

“So you don’t have to be a native of Detroit to be a Tiger fan. When you’re a Tiger fan you cease being a gentile and automatically become a man or woman of the cloth.” - IdahoBert

We have met so many good people from Michigan. My wife and I have commented on it many times. Our daughter-in-law and her family moved to NC from Lansing, and we are so glad! So grateful everyday for her. Her family are still Tiger fans...but not to the extent I am. We had the Tiger connection right of the gate though. I could be here awhile talking about good people that are our best friends that are native Michiganders living in NC now. We’re very fortunate to have those folks as really good friends.

21 hours ago, cruzer1 said:
 @jjcoop36
FollowingFollowing @jjcoop36
More

Casey Mize threw 70 strikes in 98 pitches tonight in his CG no-hitter. Of those 28 balls, two were automatic balls for pitch clock violations.

8:46 PM - 29 Apr 2019

And here’s the dumbest thing I’ve read all week. 

37 minutes ago, thefunk said:

You need to read more.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, thefunk said:

Mize said that it wasn't as easy as it may have looked, because it wasn't as if he was facing the Tigers.

• Like 1

Just saw a crazy stat, Mize has not allowed a hit to the outfield since April 9th, only thing he has given up have been infield singles.   That's insane.

• Like 1