UCFKNIGHT92

Any Interest In Signing Chris Tillman?

Both Michael Fulmer and Matt Moore are already on the IL and Jordan Zimmerman may soon be joining them. At this time, former Baltimore Orioles starter, Chris Tillman, may be a possible free agent option for the Tigers.

2 hours ago, UCFKNIGHT92 said:

Both Michael Fulmer and Matt Moore are already on the IL and Jordan Zimmerman may soon be joining them. At this time, former Baltimore Orioles starter, Chris Tillman, may be a possible free agent option for the Tigers.

No

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

No

Good analysis. 

Sign Keuchel to a one-year deal and trade him in July.  

They may need to go out and get some innings eater for Detroit or Toledo if Zimmermann's arm is shot.  If Tillman is an option, I would think it would be a minor league deal with a small major league salary option.  His last two seasons were pretty abysmal.

It wouldn't be the worst option, I guess.  Whatever they do, as long as they don't rush up the prospects prematurely, it isn't going to alter the season expectations going forward too much I wouldn't think.

2 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Sign Keuchel to a one-year deal and trade him in July.  

Yeah, I was wondering about that.  But isn't there compensation tied to him?  I'd hate to lose a pick for him and then have him not be movable.

4 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Yeah, I was wondering about that.  But isn't there compensation tied to him?  I'd hate to lose a pick for him and then have him not be movable.

There's a deadline date for that.  I'm not sure, but it may be the date of the draft.  You can't gain a pick that doesn't exit.  

They should sign Bartolo Colon just for the fun of it. 

2 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

There's a deadline date for that.  I'm not sure, but it may be the date of the draft.  You can't gain a pick that doesn't exit.  

I kind of like that suggestion.  And as bad as the team is, there would be plenty of seating available for his family/ies at home games.

1 hour ago, bobrob2004 said:

It is in fact the draft

The keuchel idea is fine, assuming you can trade him. You probably get back a better return than what you give up in compensation. 

Of course, that applies for the other 29 teams, and keuchel remains unsigned. 

53 minutes ago, theroundsquare said:

It is in fact the draft

It seems like once the compensation issue clears, you are not going to able (or want to) out bid a contender that wants him. There isn't really enough time between the draft and the trade deadline  now (<2 mo)  for much meaningful audition period that would provide a team that might prefer to see him pitch first any increased value in trading for him instead of just signing him.

7 hours ago, UCFKNIGHT92 said:

Sure. Why not? Nothing to lose. Put him in Toledo and see what happens.

11 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

It seems like once the compensation issue clears, you are not going to able (or want to) out bid a contender that wants him. There isn't really enough time between the draft and the trade deadline  now (<2 mo)  for much meaningful audition period that would provide a team that might prefer to see him pitch first any increased value in trading for him instead of just signing him.

I don't think an audition period is needed other than the amount of time it takes him to get ready which should only be a few weeks.  It's about how much money teams are willing to offer.  It has been rumored that he'll take a one year deal for at least as much as a qualifying offer (around 18 million).  If the Tigers agreed to that when nobody else does they could then turn around and offer him in late July and the new team would only have to pick up that portion of his salary.  I think there is near zero chance of this happening, but theoretically I think the net result would be a decent prospect who would probably, as Shelton suggests, be better than a compensation pick.    

I would have no problem with them adding Tillman to a minor league deal to see what he can do, but I don't know that he's any better than Ryan Carpenter at this point. 

Detroit couldn’t attract Dallas Keuchel. Al Avila is now on a limited budget and Keuchel is going to want a four or five year deal. I believe Chris Tillman is a better short term option for the Tigers. I would offer Tillman 2 years at 7 million. Singing Tillman would allow the Tigers the opportunity to keep Alex Faedo and Matt Manning in the minors and not start their free agent clocks. Casey Mize is really making nice progress in his development. Could we see Casey in Detroit, after the all-star break, next season?

7 minutes ago, UCFKNIGHT92 said:

Keuchel is going to want a four or five year deal.

I do, too.  But neither he nor I are getting one in the near future.

Why would they offer Tillman more than a minor league deal?  He has been absolutely attrocious for two years.  

4 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Why would they offer Tillman more than a minor league deal?  He has been absolutely attrocious for two years.  

Right.  He's 31, he's at best a low 4s ERA type that had a WHIP of around 2.000 the last two seasons and was never much of a strikeout pitcher.  If he's looking for a major league guarantee, he should have his next career lined up and ready to go.

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

I don't think an audition period is needed other than the amount of time it takes him to get ready which should only be a few weeks.  It's about how much money teams are willing to offer.  It has been rumored that he'll take a one year deal for at least as much as a qualifying offer (around 18 million).  If the Tigers agreed to that when nobody else does they could then turn around and offer him in late July and the new team would only have to pick up that portion of his salary.  I think there is near zero chance of this happening, but theoretically I think the net result would be a decent prospect who would probably, as Shelton suggests, be better than a compensation pick.    

Well, I follow the possible scenario here, but I still think it ends up a less cost effective way to buy a pick as compared to shopping in the off season for Moore's and Martyns.

29 minutes ago, UCFKNIGHT92 said:

I believe Chris Tillman is a better short term option for the Tigers. I would offer Tillman 2 years at 7 million. Singing Tillman would allow the Tigers the opportunity to keep Alex Faedo and Matt Manning in the minors and not start their free agent clocks. 

Avila is so stooopid he'll keep signing stopgaps until Faedo and Manning are 32 and then start their free agent clocks just as they age out.

Is the Logan Shore era about to begin, because other than Beau Burrows I don't see any starter coming from Toledo and even if they signed Dallas, he wouldn't be ready to start.   

I think what they might do is call up another reliever and do the Tampa Bay thing and start some relievers for a few starts.    Maybe in an effort to build Farmer or VerHagen up to starter stamina..........................I can see them bringing up Burrows this year, but not before September.